PDA

View Full Version : Leak Delta tranny Tuner & Santa's Helpers.

DaveK
06-09-2009, 19:45
Hi Guys,
I have been offered, FoC apart from collection costs, a Leak Tuner - a Delta 30, tranny version in case there are any others. I understand that some Leak Tuners are regarded as something of a 'classic' bit of kit and the thought occurred to me that it might be interesting, educational, and possibly profitable if I don't like the finished job, to try to bring it back to life. I am unsure of it's present status, it having come back from a couple of years loan and stored unused ever since, so it may be a 'nothing' job or call for major surgery. My abilities in this area are currently non existant so, .....
1) from the limited info provided could it be a worthwhile exercise (or is this not one of Leak's better models)?
2) if fixing it involves anything other than fitting a new plug and/or fuse, I made need some help from one of 'Santa's Little Helpers' - any volunteers? Feel free to PM me if you don't fancy being inundated with similar requests.
Any constructive (sorry, no pun intended :lol: ) comments would be most appreciated - thanks for your consideration.
Cheers,

Alex_UK
06-09-2009, 20:55
Hi Dave - I don't believe the Leak Stereo 30 range was particularly well regarded, a completed ebay listing search shows that This Excellent and boxed one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Leak-Delta-30-FM-AM-Stereo-Tuner-Excellent-Boxed_W0QQitemZ180399536778QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_A udioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Tuners?hash=item2a 00a67a8a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) went for £43 - I suspect a large portion of that is the collectibility factor of it being boxed - in other words, imo have fun with it safe in the knowledge it is not worth a fortune but don't spend to much getting it going... From someone who knows less than you, so make of it what you will! ;)

DSJR
07-09-2009, 09:52
The Stereo 30, Stereo 70 and Stereofetic tuner were good for their day, the Stereo 70 especially being almost as good as a later NAD 3020 - praise indeed I think...

The Delta series that followed was after Rank took the company over. the basic designs were fairly similar, but I always thought the circuits were shoe-horned into slightly smaller boxes and I also think that quality suffered.

I'm sure the Delta tuner will be ok and for nowt, what have you got to lose?