PDA

View Full Version : Low capacitance

nbaptista
18-04-2015, 12:13
What are the advantages of a low capacitance interconnect and why?

Reffc
18-04-2015, 12:26
Low capacitance is generally desirable for phono interconnects when using a MM cartridge if your lead length is anything over a metre, because MM cartridges are very sensitive to capacitance loading. Many phono stages have a circa 150 pF loading, and the capacitance of the leads are additive to this. As many MM's are designed to have a normalised response when loaded with between 250 to 400pF total, using an interconnect with say 150pF/m in a 3m length could roll the HF response off. High capacitance leads used with high output impedance sources into relatively low impedance amp inputs can also act as a low pass filter which will also roll off the top end. Generally speaking, there's little in the way of a negative to using lower capacitance leads.

Qwin
20-04-2015, 07:53
Yes, it is to avoid HF roll off.

Note:
Van Damme Silver Series Lo-Cap instrument cable and Klotz MC5000 Microphone cable both run at 55pf/meter which is very low.

Firebottle
20-04-2015, 08:27
Depends how the MC5000 cable is wired. I have a pair of interconnects made up by Brian on loan and the measured capacitance works out at 100pF per metre.

:) Alan

Qwin
20-04-2015, 08:39
Alan - I've been wondering about how the Microphone cable is meant to be wired up?

1). Do you use the two individual cores for signal and return (ground) with the shield connected to the return at one end?

2). Or do you join the two cores together and use the shield as the return as in a conventional coax cable?

No one seems to say which method they use, or which would be best.

I used method "1" but am now wondering if method "2" might be better.

Anyone else with a view on this, please jump in.

Appologies for thread hi-jack

CageyH
20-04-2015, 09:14
I use method 1.
I have also tried a floating screen, and using both conductors for signal and screen as return.
Couldn't hear much difference to be honest as most of my RCA leads are less than 1m long.
My long leads (2m and 5m) are balanced leads.

Firebottle
20-04-2015, 09:15
My suspicion is number 1) Ken. I can't confirm it as the cables are all heat shrunk onto the connectors, and being a loan pair I'm not going to start ripping them apart.

I think Brian has said how he does them, maybe he would like to comment?

:) Alan

CageyH
20-04-2015, 09:17
I think that the info is on the MC5000 thread.

Qwin
20-04-2015, 10:08
Thanks for that Kevin.

I looked through pages of posts looking for the thread before I noticed its a "Stickie" Doh!

Good info in that thread.

Jimbo
20-04-2015, 11:49
Alan - I've been wondering about how the Microphone cable is meant to be wired up?

1). Do you use the two individual cores for signal and return (ground) with the shield connected to the return at one end?

2). Or do you join the two cores together and use the shield as the return as in a conventional coax cable?

No one seems to say which method they use, or which would be best.

I used method "1" but am now wondering if method "2" might be better.

Anyone else with a view on this, please jump in.

Appologies for thread hi-jack

Hi Ken,

the cable Alan has is made up with the shield attached at the send end and not at the receive end. Also has Silver plated MS audio plugs:)