PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge set up help

clarkey555
15-04-2015, 16:39
Evening fellow art of Sounders I was wondering if anyone can help with setting up my cartridge I need to screw the cart onto the head shell however the mounting screws are to long and won't allow me to fit the cart flush with the head shell. I have an audio technica at 440 cartridge and an audio technica mg 20 head shell any help or advice would be much appreciated cheers guys

Desmo
15-04-2015, 16:54
Use shorter screws? You can even cut down the ones you have if you are careful.

clarkey555
15-04-2015, 17:12
Cheers Graeme for the advice but the screws have been hard to find even online and I don't fancy paying £8 for a full set when I only need 2 screws I may eventually go down the Dremel route last resort me thinks thanks anyway bud

Barry
15-04-2015, 17:29
Are the screw fixings in the haedshell blind? If they are, you will have to use shorter screws.

If the headshell holes are open, then you can fit the bolts upside down with the fixing nuts used on top of the headshell. May not look quite so elegant, but is a perfectly satisfactory solution.

walpurgis
15-04-2015, 17:57
You can get M2.5 nuts and screws of various lengths on eBay cheaply. Just use non magnetic aluminium or nylon ones. Some will not use nylon as they want their cartridges tightened down really hard, but really the cartridge just has to be secure and I find nylon just fine and you can shorten them with a craft knife. Decca used to supply them as standard with their cartridges.

rdpx
15-04-2015, 20:47
Cheers Graeme for the advice but the screws have been hard to find even online and I don't fancy paying £8 for a full set when I only need 2 screws I may eventually go down the Dremel route last resort me thinks thanks anyway bud

any chance these are 2mm screws you need for a THORENS headshell?
I have loads if you tell me what length you need.

clarkey555
16-04-2015, 06:32
Cheers for the advice so far guys in answer to Robert the head shell is an audio technica mg10 and I think the thread on the head shell is 2.5mm apparently when you buy the mg10 head shell from new you receive various size screws for fitting different carts

daytona600
16-04-2015, 07:40
MG10 Headshell is suplied with
7 pairs of installation screws (3mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12 mm and 14mm)
Includes gold plated terminals quad wire

rdpx
16-04-2015, 09:34
Surely someone must have some spare screws they can send this poor man?
What length do you need?

walpurgis
16-04-2015, 09:41
I may have something to fit. When measuring, take into account the amount of thread in the blind headshell holes too.

Barry
16-04-2015, 10:12
How long do the screws need to be? I may have some that would fit.

walpurgis
16-04-2015, 16:37
I've just found my stash of cartridge screws. I've located something suitable and can send you a couple of long nylon M2.5 bolts that you can cut to length with a craft knife if you like. The advantage with these is that they won't mark the headshell or strip the threads in the holes. They're plenty strong enough for cartridge mounting. I use them myself. Let me know if you're interested.

clarkey555
16-04-2015, 18:11
Hi Geoff thanks bud much appreciated I will pm you my details and thanks to everyone for there attention in this matter. This is what makes the aos such a great forum cheers guys

RichB
16-04-2015, 19:24
Sorry Pete, I've been away a few nights and hadn't seen this thread.

I use a 440mla with the mg10 and have some screws of various lengths you can try mate.

Just giz a shout or pop over with it and we'll have a look.

R

clarkey555
17-04-2015, 07:38
Hi Rich cheers for the offer but Geoffs helping me out and very kindly sending me some screws which seem perfect for what I need btw how's your new system sounding I will pm you later today. Pete

RichB
17-04-2015, 09:50
Hi Rich cheers for the offer but Geoffs helping me out and very kindly sending me some screws which seem perfect for what I need btw how's your new system sounding I will pm you later today. Pete

No worries Pete, as long as you're sorted.

Aye the new system is running in nicely, putting some TQ Blue cable in has really brought it all together.

My vinyl set up is now good but I'm waiting for some more shelves to get it permanently in situ. So for now I'm just living with my various digital sources but its all good. Pop by and have a listen sometime.

walpurgis
17-04-2015, 10:21
Peter. I've also included an OEM set of alloy screws of various lengths, so you should be sorted.