PDA

View Full Version : Decca FSS cartridge help

Guitarrero
14-04-2015, 11:05
Hi All,

Just putting out feelers for a Decca FFSS cartridge as I have just acquired my Dad's old TT fitted with a Decca arm with the unique cartridge fitment, but alas the cartridge itself is missing ... it may be tucked away with some of his other bits and bobs, but my initial hunt turned up nothing, but will continue looking ... don't hold out much hope though

In the meantime, I would really like to get this TT going and would appreciate any help sourcing a suitable cartridge, however this one on E**y is far too rich for my pocket :eek:

Many thanks,
Steve

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTQ5NFgxNjAw/z/jPQAAOSwv0tU8P3C/$_57.JPG

(Not sure if this posted in the right places? ... Mods, feel free to chastise!)

hifi_dave
14-04-2015, 11:26
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t406/hifi_dave/007.jpg[/URL]

One of these.

This one has been mod'd with bolts fitted so that it can go in a conventional headshell and also the Decca fitment.

E-Bay is your friend if you want to source one. They crop up often.

Guitarrero
14-04-2015, 11:46
Hmm... I didn't think these (later?) ones fitted??
The type I recall was just a black or white plastic cube with the Decca logo on top .... I will post some example photos later, when I've worked out how to do it!
Cheers,
Steve

One of these.

This one has been mod'd with bolts fitted so that it can go in a conventional headshell and also the Decca fitment.

E-Bay is your friend if you want to source one. They crop up often.

Guitarrero
14-04-2015, 14:48
Photo now added to original post, with thanks and due credit to image owner:)

hifi_dave
15-04-2015, 08:42
The cartridge simply slides onto the end of the Decca arm and the cartridge at the centre of the pic, shows that.

Guitarrero
15-04-2015, 08:58
Dave, Many thanks for sorting out my confusion:scratch: .... are the ones you show 'London' cartridges??
The cartridge simply slides onto the end of the Decca arm and the cartridge at the centre of the pic, shows that.

hifi_dave
15-04-2015, 09:21
The one in the middle is a Decca FFSS mod'd for the normal 1/2 inch mount. The two outside ones are Decca Blues which have been mod'd by the Garrott brothers (back in the day) and are fitted into Nottingham Analogue Pods. Lovely cartridges.

walpurgis
15-04-2015, 09:41
I see you 'borrowed' that image from eBay. Nice cartridge, but not cheap. The Decca Mk.IV and preceding FFSS models fit the old Decca arms of which there are a couple of types. There is also an SME type head holder (adaptor) to fit universal headshell arms, but they are hard to come by and fetch silly money.

To be honest it would probably cost no more to buy a later half inch spaced bolt fixing Decca and a compatible arm to use it in. At least then you'd be able to try other cartridges too.

Guitarrero
15-04-2015, 10:03
To be honest it would probably cost no more to buy a later half inch spaced bolt fixing Decca and a compatible arm to use it in. At least then you'd be able to try other cartridges too.

If I was starting afresh I would be looking to buy an SME 3009 to use with the Garrard 401 from my Dad, giving me more freedom of cartridge choice ... it's only that it came with the Decca Professional arm fitted and I just want get her going .... I've not had the chance to listen to it in 30 years or so!