PDA

View Full Version : kate bush-the kick inside record.help me im going mad!!!!

karma67
13-04-2015, 19:19
is it me or does anyone else have this on vinyl and thinks the last track on side 1 which is wuthering heights sounds distorted?
ive bought 3 copies of this lp so far and they all sound the same,they were all listed as excellent too.

struth
13-04-2015, 19:24
Used to have it on vinyl and my copy was fine. Its a great track so maybe its been played to death with a poorly set up cart

The Barbarian
13-04-2015, 19:28
is it me or does anyone else have this on vinyl and thinks the last track on side 1 which is wuthering heights sounds distorted?
ive bought 3 copies of this lp so far and they all sound the same,they were all listed as excellent too.

Is your Anti skate set up ok?

walpurgis
13-04-2015, 19:31
Is your cartridge downforce enough? Is the cartridge aligned properly and at the correct height? Is the anti-skating setting OK?

Oldpinkman
13-04-2015, 19:43
Did you say 3 copies. I'd really like to get my hands on one if you have a spare for sale

karma67
13-04-2015, 19:45
the cartridge is aligned ok,vtf ive tried 1.2,1.3 ,1.4 and 1.5g the recommended weight is 1.3 with 1g to 1.6 range, anti-skate on my rb300 is around 1 on the scale,i eye the cantilever up so its roughly in the middle when its playing and not being pulled to the left or right.the arm tube is dead level with the lp.it only does this on this lp and on this side,side 2 plays ok.it was the same when i used the denon 110 and the linn basik plus arm,logic tells me its the lp but i just want someone to say yes mines the same! lol

Gordon Steadman
13-04-2015, 19:51
Nope...just tried it and it's perfect....sorry:scratch:

The Barbarian
13-04-2015, 19:53
I hardly think three copies show the same issue tbh.. My old mate used to get me to play this LP to death, i know it plays without any issues.

karma67
13-04-2015, 19:53
bugger!
do you want to sell it? lol

karma67
13-04-2015, 19:57
I hardly think three copies show the same issue tbh.. My old mate used to get me to play this LP to death, i know it plays without any issues.

hmm i wonder what i could be doing wrong then? im very careful when aligning the cartridge,i use an avid mirror alignment protractor.
there is one way to confirm this guys,what kind soul wants to pm me their address and i;ll send it to them to play and confirm??

The Barbarian
13-04-2015, 20:01
Are your tone controls flat especially the bass? Try everything possible inc headphones.

karma67
13-04-2015, 20:02
yes mate i use the amp on source direct.

The Barbarian
13-04-2015, 20:08
& is it the same with headphones?

karma67
13-04-2015, 20:10
that i dont know as i dont have any.

The Barbarian
13-04-2015, 20:14
Have you got a blank side of a record you can just temp set the antiskate up 2/3rds the way in so it plays stationary try that

struth
13-04-2015, 20:20
Those light tracking vms carts can be funny buggers imo Jamie. Did it give the same trouble with the at95?

karma67
13-04-2015, 20:36
ok heres what ive done that has greatly improved the distortion, ive turned the vtf weight up to 1.6g which is at the maximum weight range,i then used the hifi news test record on the last anti-skate track (the one they call the torture track) to get the distortion balanced in both speakers,its actually showing on the anti-skate setting slightly above 1g.also as a guide it sits ok to on the blank part of the disc as well.
it does kinda tell me that perhaps ive been setting the vtf on the low side before.
does what ive done make sense guys?

karma67
13-04-2015, 20:37
Those light tracking vms carts can be funny buggers imo Jamie. Did it give the same trouble with the at95?

i cant remember grant to be honest but i dont recall it being as bad with the denon 110

walpurgis
13-04-2015, 20:42
does what ive done make sense guys?

Yes. Disregard the quoted downforce. How do they know what turntable set-up the cartridge was destined for. Use whatever sounds/works best. A bit more won't hurt. I take it you're using the VMS30 Mk.II, so the diamond tip is I believe, the same as that on the MC25FL which can track at up to 2.5g without problems. Just keep an eye on the stylus cantilever suspension movement as the VMS30 Mk.II is more compliant.

karma67
13-04-2015, 20:48
Yes. Disregard the quoted downforce. How do they know what turntable set-up the cartridge was destined for. Use whatever sounds/works best. A bit more won't hurt. I take it you're using the VMS30 Mk.II, so the diamond tip is I believe, the same as that on the MC25FL which can track at up to 2.5g without problems. Just keep an eye on the stylus cantilever suspension movement as the VMS30 Mk.II is more compliant.

phew,thats good to know,what do you think would be a safe maxium weight? 2g?
i thought i had this set up lark nailed,just goes to show you cant beat good advice from more experienced people.
thanks for the help everyone :)

walpurgis
13-04-2015, 20:54
phew,thats good to know,what do you think would be a safe maxium weight? 2g?
i thought i had this set up lark nailed,just goes to show you cant beat good advice from more experienced people.
thanks for the help everyone :)

I'd experiment. Better to have it a little too high than too low, which can damage both the stylus tip and the record groove due to 'chatter' (the insecure tip being unable to follow modulations and rattling about in the groove. Mistracking in other words). My guess would be that up to say 2.25 grams won't hurt.

struth
13-04-2015, 20:59
I'd experiment. Better to have it a little too high than too low, which can damage both the stylus tip and the record groove due to 'chatter' (the insecure tip being unable to follow modulations and rattling about in the groove. Mistracking in other words). My guess would be that up to say 2.25 grams won't hurt.

I ran my 20 at nearly 2 gms and it was better sounding and cantilever looked ok. My deck does not like low track weight.

karma67
13-04-2015, 21:13
:yay: im so chuffed i posted this thread! ive now got vtf at 2g and wuthering heights sounds lovely!

The Barbarian
13-04-2015, 21:15
Now you can sell the other two copies to the AOS members that are desperate {desperate being the operative wurd} :D

walpurgis
13-04-2015, 22:08
:yay: im so chuffed i posted this thread! ive now got vtf at 2g and wuthering heights sounds lovely!

Another satisfied customer! :)

It pays to experiment sensibly. Just don't get carried away like I do sometimes. I occasionally bugger things up through lack of caution (usually computers though :D).