PDA

View Full Version : Problem ripping Nirvana In Utero

Leftfield
08-04-2015, 18:52
I am in the process of ripping my CD collection to Flac for storage on a WD Mycloud. Things have been going very smoothly, if slowly, until today when I was unable to rip my copy of Nirvana In Utero.
DBpowereamp is showing the album size at nearly 3.7gb, with the offending Track no 3, Heart Shaped Box, which is showing at over 16hrs long????????
I opened the disc in iTunes to establish if dbpoweramp was the problem but alas same issue.
So the point to my rambling is, have I got a faulty copy of In Utero (if so bit late to return as purchased when the album was released); or is this an issue with the recording of the album and if so does anyone have a solution?

Cheers Simon.

struth
08-04-2015, 19:02
Try ripping it in another program and see if it works. that way you will know if its the disc or the program

Stratmangler
08-04-2015, 19:41
Have you got a problem with CD rot on this disc?

struth
08-04-2015, 19:54
...also if the program acts they way EAC does, if there is a problem with the track(sometimes it is just because there is a different version that it is trying to simulate) it can take forever and a day to rip it. Ripping that track in another program, it may well sale through. I occasionally have to do this with eac, and just rip it with foobar or jriver and 9 times out of 10 it just works fine.

Ammonite Audio
08-04-2015, 20:04
It's probably not a Red Book CD, but something with copy protection that stops it being ripped on a computer. I have a few such discs. Does it play normally on a CD player?

Leftfield
08-04-2015, 21:13
To be honest, I haven't played this CD for some years but I do remember there being an issue going directly to certain tracks. I'll try it in the morning. As for ripping with a differernt programme, I've only got iTunes and had a similar result. It may just be that I have a duff disc, in which case I'll buy another copy. But if others have experienced the same issues ripping the same album I'll have a look at Qobuz or similar.

Tim
08-04-2015, 21:37
My copy ripped fine to FLAC using EAC and I just checked it in JRiver and it rips fine there too.

Have you closely inspected the surface to see if there are any blemishes? Before buying a replacement CD you could get the Brasso or T-Cut out, I use T-Cut all the time on scratched charity shop discs and haven't had one fail to rip yet after applying some elbow grease. Just remember to polish across the disc in straight lines and not in circular motions. You can be quite vigorous with your polishing too. I normally rinse under fresh running water, then dry off. Can't harm if you are going to ditch it?

WAD62
10-04-2015, 10:51
I am in the process of ripping my CD collection to Flac for storage on a WD Mycloud. Things have been going very smoothly, if slowly, until today when I was unable to rip my copy of Nirvana In Utero.
DBpowereamp is showing the album size at nearly 3.7gb, with the offending Track no 3, Heart Shaped Box, which is showing at over 16hrs long????????
I opened the disc in iTunes to establish if dbpoweramp was the problem but alas same issue.
So the point to my rambling is, have I got a faulty copy of In Utero (if so bit late to return as purchased when the album was released); or is this an issue with the recording of the album and if so does anyone have a solution?

Cheers Simon.

Try copying it using Roxio or some-such, then try ripping the copy...

Although I don't remember having issues ripping my copy...but that was 6 years ago!

Leftfield
10-04-2015, 20:24
I've played the CD today without any issues. It also displays the correct total playing time unlike when I load through dbpoweramp or iTunes. I can only assume it has some sort of encryption. Looks like I'll be ordering the remastered version!!!

Bigandbouncy
10-04-2015, 21:01
could it be anything to do with that track that has the really long silence in the middle?

Stratmangler
13-04-2015, 10:55
I had a copy turn up this morning (bought it on Amazon Marketplace for £2.50 all in) and I ripped it using EAC.
I encountered no problems.

vacdac
13-04-2015, 14:03
It's probably not a Red Book CD, but something with copy protection that stops it being ripped on a computer. I have a few such discs. Does it play normally on a CD player?

To be honest, I haven't played this CD for some years but I do remember there being an issue going directly to certain tracks. I'll try it in the morning. As for ripping with a differernt programme, I've only got iTunes and had a similar result. It may just be that I have a duff disc, in which case I'll buy another copy. But if others have experienced the same issues ripping the same album I'll have a look at Qobuz or similar.

I've played the CD today without any issues. It also displays the correct total playing time unlike when I load through dbpoweramp or iTunes. I can only assume it has some sort of encryption. Looks like I'll be ordering the remastered version!!!

Worth trying the "Defective by design" Ripping mode in DBpoweramp that will often work fine on DRM embedded discs or so called "enhanced ceedees". The "Burst" ripping option is also worth trying as it will not then try to match perfect rip results, which may be causing an issue if there is summat different re your copy. You can access these settings by clicking on options in DBP, remember to reset back to "ACCURATE" mode for your normal rips afterward.

I just used the "Defective by design" mode to rip this album earlier today.>>http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61RtCib1%2B0L._SX425_PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg I haven't been able to stream it for a couple of years since upgrading to the SM6 from SBT's as this player won't play DRM encoded content. It defeated EAC too & Media Monkey IIRC. Playback is back all tickety boo now, so well worth trying.

Leftfield
13-04-2015, 21:44
Thanks vacdac, I'll try adjusting the settings on dbpoweramp and see if that works. I tried copying the CD on a dedicated copying machine and it failed to recognise the disc!!