PDA

View Full Version : Michell Focus One Turntable - no arm

Geoff101
08-04-2015, 18:12
I need to sell some turntables to fund a Thorens project and this one is first up:

*JUST TO BE CLEAR - PICTURED SME ARM IS NOT INCLUDED*

Michell Focus One in good condition and working well. Supplied without tone arm. Complete with original lid. All feet present and they all have their original springs and rubber cups. Funky magnetic on / off switch and motor board all working. No old Rega style switch on / off thumps here!
I cleaned and re-oiled the bearing last year. Speed change slider was cleaned at the same time. Belt is a good few years old but still seems to work fine so I saw no reason to change it.
I have the original box for it although the internal packaging isn't all there any more.

Cosmetically it's in very good condition. The deck itself is very good. Platter edge could benefit from a polish up but the suede 'mat' (they're glued on) is in great condition.
The lid isn't bad in terms of scratches - just the usual light marks but it hasn't gone opaque or anything. The glue along the mitred joints has however discoloured and become visible. The marks on the second photo are mostly reflections - particularly the band along the front edge.
The plinth is factory cut for an SME arm. It also worked very nicely with a Hadcock unipivot arm that I sold last year with an SME adaptor.

I'll leave the arm in place until sale so that it can be demo'd if required.

£150 seems to be the going rate for these in good nick, without arm so that's what I'm asking.

Collection only from Bicester as I won't trust this with a courier. Will be in Erith and then Stockport next week if that helps anyone.

Pictures (if you want more, let me know):

http://www.g32.co.uk/images/michell1.JPG

http://www.g32.co.uk/images/michell2.JPG

Tim
08-04-2015, 21:45
PM on the way Geoff :)

The Barbarian
08-04-2015, 22:12
Nice one Tim..

walpurgis
08-04-2015, 22:21
I was very, very tempted, I have to say. But do I need a fifth turntable? :eyebrows:

Tim
08-04-2015, 22:29
No you don't Geoff, that's just greedy - I don't have any, apart from a 401 that's not running.

This will be a good home for my 3009 and get Marco off my back for not having a turntable :)

The Barbarian
08-04-2015, 22:34
Nice im getting Reffic to get me an exact replacement lid made when funds permit cos my mitred lid joints all dried out like that one seems to have done the same {this is common}..

The Barbarian
08-04-2015, 22:40
http://www.g32.co.uk/images/michell1.JPG

They are a dream to use these Tim..If you look at the silver cover plate to the left rear. The fittings at each corner are the Knurled retainers that hold the plate in place, just undo them to gain access to the motor pulley & ofc change the belt..The centre sticky up thing is a speed change plunger you push down for 45rpm, pull up for 33rpm. & finally the Knurled sticky up thing to the left is your Magnetic Speed change which you just simply twist for on/off. The magnetic bar under side controls the power via Reed Switch. The scence of ease using these controls makes for a joy to use..

walpurgis
08-04-2015, 22:42
I don't have any, apart from a 401 that's not running.

"not running"? Disgraceful! :lol:

(good TT the 401, they're a bit clunky to use, but if you get it up and running it'll match anything else (in its own distinctive way).

Gordon Steadman
09-04-2015, 06:40
I was very, very tempted, I have to say. But do I need a fifth turntable? :eyebrows:

Why not? You'd still need another one to have as many as me!!

Geoff101
09-04-2015, 07:38
Thanks everyone. Now sold to Tim subject to inspection and payment.

Next up will be an SL-150 Mk1 (again, no arm) which is also SME fitment. I'll try to get that listed this evening.

Tim
09-04-2015, 16:49
"not running"? Disgraceful!
Well that's not strictly true, she runs beautifully actually, but not in a plinth or with a tonearm. I guess if you enjoyed just watching the strobe marks rushing by it would be great :lol:

Just have to think if I want to sell it now, as I only really need/want one turntable.

struth
09-04-2015, 16:53
One of my favourite looking TT's the Focus.....simple genius.

The Barbarian
09-04-2015, 21:07
John Michell was a Genius no doubt about it..

The Barbarian
09-04-2015, 21:22
Nice one Tim. However i prefer the look of the SME 'S2, Improved {The one you see on that Pic} to the older 'S2'. I just think the finish is more suited to the eye, However people prefer the older one like U have.. I bought my 'S2, Improved brand new just before they finished producing it..Had many arms but always come back to it. When you read the reviews from the day of both that Deck & the SME improved amp you gotta laugh you honestly have.

Geoff101
20-04-2015, 19:20
Due to a chance in circumstance, Tim is now no longer able to buy this so it's back up for sale.

The Barbarian
20-04-2015, 20:53
:(

struth
21-04-2015, 04:18
Pity you can't post

Tim
21-04-2015, 20:01
:(
I know André, I hope I don't live to regret it! However, I was offered a job abroad in February, which initially I declined, but after rethinking and much prompting from friends I have now committed to it for 3 years in the New Year. I won't be taking much with me, so will have to pay for storage and was shocked to find out how expensive it is, so I'm now selling most of my possessions, rather than pay for a large storage unit.

The only Hi-Fi I'll probably keep will be my Harbeth SHL5's, the rest I can easily replace, when I return to the UK - I may even sell those though :scratch: So my turntable ownership is again on hold until 2019!

The Barbarian
21-04-2015, 20:45
Good luck Tim with your work abroad. :thumbsup:

rdpx
21-04-2015, 22:31
I know André, I hope I don't live to regret it! However, I was offered a job abroad in February, which initially I declined, but after rethinking and much prompting from friends I have now committed to it for 3 years in the New Year. I won't be taking much with me, so will have to pay for storage and was shocked to find out how expensive it is, so I'm now selling most of my possessions, rather than pay for a large storage unit.

The only Hi-Fi I'll probably keep will be my Harbeth SHL5's, the rest I can easily replace, when I return to the UK - I may even sell those though :scratch: So my turntable ownership is again on hold until 2019!

I will store your turntable for free for 3 years.
Especially if it comes with an arm.

:o)

Geoff101
25-04-2015, 13:58
Back from Spain bump

The Barbarian
25-04-2015, 14:31
Come on for gawd sake people he's virtually giving it away. Anyone who buys it that wants an original Michell Focus Linn mount arm board plate for it ill send em one.. Two arm pattern options now..

struth
25-04-2015, 14:52
Come on for gawd sake people he's virtually giving it away. Anyone who buys it that wants an original Michell Focus Linn mount arm board plate for it ill send em one.. Two arm pattern options now..

my favorite tt that....but several hundred miles away alas...its a great price and surprised no one near Geoff has grabbed it

The Barbarian
25-04-2015, 18:03
my favorite tt that....

so why on god earth are you using a forens den?

struth
25-04-2015, 18:38
so why on god earth are you using a forens den?
Couldn't find one so went for my second favourite. A fine table too and custom able too.

selby
26-04-2015, 16:11
Just sent a DM

struth
26-04-2015, 16:43
....A DM? ;)

walpurgis
26-04-2015, 16:48
Ah, That'll be one of these then:

http://i60.tinypic.com/vx298p.jpg

A Doc Marten! :D

petrat
26-04-2015, 16:54
Trust you to stick the boot in ... :)

selby
26-04-2015, 17:05
Lol - I was thinking a Direct Message but Doc Martin it is! [emoji6]

walpurgis
26-04-2015, 17:11
Trust you to stick the boot in ... :)

We aim to please! :lol:

selby
26-04-2015, 19:12
I'm going to take this off his hands! In terms of tonearm and cartridge what do people recommend? Mission 774 I've seen mentioned but not sure how much they are or where I'd get one. I'm a complete novice so looking for help and guidance.

struth
26-04-2015, 19:13
sme 3009 goes well with it I think.

walpurgis
26-04-2015, 19:29
I mentioned the Mission 774 because it sounds very good and is one of the few arms that will work well with both low compliance MC cartridges and high compliance MMs. It also usually comes with an SME type fixing plate, meaning it will just bolt on without any bother.

It's my favourite arm and I've used one for donkeys years. It sounds wonderful! I also keep a couple of spare ones.

Unfortunately you just missed a nice one on eBay today.

There is another: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mission-774-tonearm-sold-without-Linn-armboard-/251905141793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa6b76c21

This guy is asking at least £100 too much though. The going price is around £200 for a decent one. You get one or two listed for sale on eBay each week.

The original 774 is not to be confused with the 774LC or 774SM arms, which are completely different.

If you should be interested in getting one, make sure it has at least two bias weights and three varying sized damping paddles.

selby
26-04-2015, 20:46
Guess an RB250 will also work?

Geoff101
26-04-2015, 21:00
The slot in the deck isn't big enough to fit the mounting nut for the single point Rega arm. You could fit one with some butchering but I wouldn't want to do that.

alphaGT
26-04-2015, 21:03
I haven't seen anyone mention Audiogon? Like eBay, but souly for the sale of stereo gear, and they always have many nice arms of all price points for same there, used cartridges too! If you haven't checked out www.audiogon.com, you are truly missing out! Great place to sell too. Most of it in the the US, but I see lots in the UK too, Aussies too. And great tubed gear from China these days! Off subject, but not for the arm, look there for great arms.

walpurgis
26-04-2015, 21:15
Guess an RB250 will also work?

The Mission is way better than any Rega arm I've tried, I had an RB250 and a well upgraded RB300 and to be honest there wasn't much to choose between them, but each time I bunged the Mission 774 on the turntable it was as though somebody had opened a window so I could hear the music properly. If you were nearby I'd invite you round to hear what it can do with a £1200 ZYX Yatra MC cartridge in it. (actually, you aren't all that far away James)

selby
26-04-2015, 21:31
Guess I need to keep a look out for a 774. If you one at £200 ish money let me know. Where abouts are you walpurgis? Going to sell me one of your spare 774? ;-)

walpurgis
26-04-2015, 21:41
Guess I need to keep a look out for a 774. If you one at £200 ish money let me know. Where abouts are you walpurgis? Going to sell me one of your spare 774? ;-)

My location is on my posts (top right), but I'm not flogging my 774s. :)

If you want a 774, keep an eye on eBay. You'll find one. If you spot something, give me a shout and I'll take a look and see if it appears OK.

Bear in mind, it's not the only arm you can use. An actual SME arm will fit with no more bother, but the older ones are not ideal for use with good MC cartridges, should you eventually want to use one. Later SMEs are all rounders, but come at a price.

Geoff101
02-05-2015, 06:18
Morning,

Sadly I've had no contact from the buyer for almost a week so I have to presume that he's no longer interested.

As this is now the second time, this is now back up for sale and will remain so until someone puts the money in my hand.

Mods - do you think this thread should be deleted and I'll start a new one??

walpurgis
02-05-2015, 09:06
Mods - do you think this thread should be deleted and I'll start a new one??

Entirely up to you. It can't hurt I reckon. Just mention that you have an existing thread on this. The existing thread will be left here, as it has input from members on it. Once the TT is sold, both threads can be marked as such.

struth
02-05-2015, 09:07
Might be best to start a new one Geoff. Once done I can close this

walpurgis
02-05-2015, 09:13
Might be best to start a new one Geoff. Once done I can close this

Now we have a dilemma. I said the opposite. :lol:

struth
02-05-2015, 09:28
no we didnt...:lol: i didnt say delete :) can be left open it youd rather but if a new one is started then to stop confusion this one could be closed but visible