View Full Version : Checking in from Suffolk, UK

stevewild
08-04-2015, 14:01
Hi! :)
My name is Steve - as you may have guessed from user-name!
I'm living over in East Anglia...Suffolk - a lovely part of the country, but a little forgotten it seems at times!
I've been into HiFi and turntables ever since around 1978, and in 1979 had my first full-time job in a small independent Panasonic/Technics dealership in Banbury, Oxon. It's nice to that shop is still in business. :)
In those distant early 80's I had an assortment of turntables, starting from the nasty plastic BSR changers in a couple of Ferguson music-centres that were passed down to me when parents upgraded, and then moving up to replacing the BSR with a Garrard 'Zero' series deck. From there came a Rega Planar 3, and then a Logic DM-101 w/Mission 774 arm. That sounded great but was a pig to keep in tune and balance!
Since then, after the Logic had moved on, I wound-up with a Dual CS-508 which wasn't bad, but the blasted headshell being so proprietary to certain Duals, when it broke, it wasn't worth repairing or trying to find the expensive replacement parts. So, now I seem to have a handful of Technics decks!
I always liked them a lot all those years ago in my first job, and it's nice to have them still working and sounding great now. :)
The line-up: Technics SL-B202, SL-D202, SL-Q303, and an SL-1210 mkII.
I also have a nice old non-plastic BSR-P128r which only cost me a fiver, but runs as new and actually sounds very good indeed! And is perfect for 78's.... :)
The Technics are in frequent rotation, and unusually I'm sure, I prefer the sound quality from the two plastic bodied Technics; the SL-B202 and D202 to that from the Q303 and 1210 which are aluminium, and sound to me, over-damped and a bit 'flat' - lifeless!
Anyway, that's enough about me and my collection of modest - but I feel decent, turntables....... :)
Thanks for sticking with me this far!
Now to go and explore the rest of the forums :)

struth
08-04-2015, 15:53
Hi, and welcome Stevie. Its all about what sounds best to you, and not what others think or what it cost. A great selection of Technics decks you've got and great to hear you rotate, and dont just have them packed away somewhere.
Have you any plans to change any of your system? if so, just ask a question in the appropriate section if you need any help or opinions. Enjoy the forum

regards Grant

hifi_dave
08-04-2015, 17:13
Welcome neighbour.

The Black Adder
08-04-2015, 17:20
Hi Steve.

Welcome to AOS... Wow, some proper turntableage there. Suffolk... Nice. Lovejoy country!.. lol

Barry
08-04-2015, 17:47
Welcome to AoS Steve.

What about the rest of your system? :scratch: What are you tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
Barry

DSJR
08-04-2015, 19:46
Ello from t'other end of the county (at the end of the road :lol:). Hope you enjoy the forum.

Tim
08-04-2015, 22:26
I'm living over in East Anglia...Suffolk - a lovely part of the country, but a little forgotten it seems at times!
And long may it remain that way too :)
My best friend has just bought a house in Drinkstone and I'll be moving near there at some point too.
Enjoy the forum Steve.

allthingsanalogue
08-04-2015, 22:43
Hi Steve

I'm Andrew from North walsham, Norfolk.

Welcome to the forum.

walpurgis
08-04-2015, 23:00
Hello Steve. Welcome from me too.

So you got interested in Hi-Fi in 1978? A relative newcomer then, I've got about nine years on you mate. :)

I still use a Mission 774 by the way. There are a lot of Technics turntable fans here, so you're not alone.

What does the rest of your system (systems?) consist of and what music do you play?

If you have any projects or equipment changes in mind, we'd like to hear about them.

There is a Gallery section, if you'd like to post some system photos, they'd be welcome.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Puffin
09-04-2015, 07:03
I can beat that, na na na na na......1966 when I started.

stevewild
09-04-2015, 11:49
Hi everyone! :)
Thanks for the warm welcome....this does seem to be a very 'friendly' forum, which is nice to see ;)
1978? Well I was 17 and got interested in ways to try and make the Ferguson music centre that I had at the time sound better, but it wasn't till I started working in late '79 that I could actually do anything about it!! Fist thing then was a change of speakers to a bookshelf pair of "Omar" 2-way speakers that opened the sound up nicely! Can't remember the name or model number though, and you rarely ever hear of them - even a Google search brings very little!
Yeah, it was when I started working at that shop and seeing all those lovely, shiny new Technics decks that I sort of fell in love with them! ;) Not 'the best' maybe, but they do what they are supposed to, and do it very well indeed, and have proven to be so incredibly reliable! :)
Right now the rest of my system is a small Yamaha all-in-one system; the MCR-B142 (mine is gunmetal grey, but they make them in many other 'funky' colours!!). Nice sounding system, with a good CD Player and DAB radio, and tiny speakers that sound huge!!
The turntables feed a NAD PP2 phono pre-amp, and into the 'Aux' socket on the back of the Yamaha.
It's small, fairly modest, sounds great, and doesn't take over the living room, unlike stuff I've had in the past, but it's bad enough with two turntables permanently connected (The BSR is always there for when I want to play 78's, or just have a change of tone completely :) ).
My tastes in music are mainly rock. Got into the Beatles at a very early age from hearing Mum & Dad playing their old LP's back in the 60's, and have loved them ever since, but I also then got into Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden and punk! Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, Stranglers, PiL, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Killing Joke, and so on...! Liked a lot of the 80's new-wave/new romantic music too, and even the 90's had some good moments - Blur, Garbage, Air, Portishead, and Muse!
I also love Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, and have been slowly getting into more diverse jazz too.
So there you have it! :)
Cheers all... :) :cool:

Eagle owl
12-04-2015, 06:49
Hello and welcome Steve.

Geoff. :wave: