PDA

View Full Version : SME 3009 s2 & Denon DL-103r

nuff
05-04-2015, 13:45
Hi everyone.
You may know I've bought a Denon DL-103r from the classifieds (thanks Tom)
Ok, my tonearm is an SME 3009 s2 improved fixed headshell my problem was getting the arm to balance the cartridge at 2.5g, the counter weight was basicly hanging on to 1 thread to achieve this. I also know the 2 are not a perfect match but here goes..........

My Counter weight is 90g I've managed to source an exact size magnet at 60g so now have 150g at the back. I've temporarily added 3g of lead to the headshell and also fitted a brass knife edge bearing as I hear this is needed for heavier cartridges.

It sounds bloody lovely and a massive improvement over my DL-160 but I would like it if someone can tell me if this seems to be exceptible or if more mass needed to the front or back.
Any help would be appreciated.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/nuff3rs/image.jpg1_zps9bvxgag9.jpg (http://s357.photobucket.com/user/nuff3rs/media/image.jpg1_zps9bvxgag9.jpg.html)

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/nuff3rs/image.jpg2_zpsacpuifdb.jpg (http://s357.photobucket.com/user/nuff3rs/media/image.jpg2_zpsacpuifdb.jpg.html)

struth
05-04-2015, 13:54
get another rider weight

The Barbarian
05-04-2015, 14:20
Nathan: there is two different counterbalance weights for the S2 improved arm..tbh i don't think i would use a '103' with this arm, just summert i would never dream of doing being a low mass arm.. However you set the tracking weight with the Ryder not the main counterbalance, that is meant to just set the arm in a state of equilibrium prior to adding tracking via Ryder....

nuff
05-04-2015, 14:20
get another rider weight

Cheers Grant, there's a seller on eBay selling some double the weight of the original. I can't belive the price there charging tho! About £35 :wowzer:

nuff
05-04-2015, 16:16
Nathan: there is two different counterbalance weights for the S2 improved arm..tbh i don't think i would use a '103' with this arm, just summert i would never dream of doing being a low mass arm.. However you set the tracking weight with the Ryder not the main counterbalance, that is meant to just set the arm in a state of equilibrium prior to adding tracking via Ryder....

Thanks Andr'e, I've now setup the arm again. I'll give it a listen too as soon as the wife's finished watching shite on TV.
Cheers!

The Barbarian
05-04-2015, 16:25
Don't forget to set the arm to the weight of the Cartridge {i think the Denon 103 is around 8 grm}..The wayrod has a series of division set for 2,4,6 & 8 grammes..These are not the divisions to set the wayrod tracking weight, they are the divisions you see when you pull the rod away from the arms spider.

neskor
07-04-2015, 18:05
I had this combination last year. I couldn't make it right.
But 103R on 12" old Denon broadcast arm was heaven :)

Barry
07-04-2015, 19:50
Set the rider weight, on the weighrod so that it is in-line with the bearing housing. That way you can move the counterweight(s) forward a little.

The replacement of the nylon knife edge bearing with one made of either steel, brass or bronze, is a good idea regardless of cartridge type or weight.

I use a Denon 103 fitted in an SME S2-R shell (such as yours) on an SME 3009 or a 3012 arm without problems. Like yours, an additional lead shim has been fitted between the catridge body and the headshell. Secure tracking is achieved at 2.5g.

struth
07-04-2015, 20:17
I'm going to fitting an even heavier cart to mine....dunno how I'm gonna get away with it:doh:

walpurgis
07-04-2015, 20:21
A dollop of BluTak on the back of the counterweight has got me out of trouble as a temporary measure.

struth
07-04-2015, 20:24
A dollop of BluTak on the back of the counterweight has got me out of trouble as a temporary measure.

I have given Speedy a bell:eyebrows:

tell me Geoff, is my arm a mk2 improved?

walpurgis
07-04-2015, 20:54
tell me Geoff, is my arm a mk2 improved?

Yes, I believe it is. It's a long time since I had one though. A swift Google would confirm.

nuff
07-04-2015, 23:02
Set the rider weight, on the weighrod so that it is in-line with the bearing housing. That way you can move the counterweight(s) forward a little.

The replacement of the nylon knife edge bearing with one made of either steel, brass or bronze, is a good idea regardless of cartridge type or weight.

I use a Denon 103 fitted in an SME S2-R shell (such as yours) on an SME 3009 or a 3012 arm without problems. Like yours, an additional lead shim has been fitted between the catridge body and the headshell. Secure tracking is achieved at 2.5g.

Thanks for the advice Barry. I'll give this a go in the morning.
What weight shim did you use out of interest, at the moment I've placed 3grams on the headshell. Also do you think the magnet I used to the counterweight would interfere with the cartridge?

struth
07-04-2015, 23:13
What weight shim did you use out of interest, at the moment I've placed 3grams on the headshell. Also do you think the magnet I used to the counterweight would interfere with the cartridge?
Where did you get the magnet Nathan ?
Could do with extra weight

nuff
07-04-2015, 23:15
Where did you get the magnet Nathan ?
Could do with extra weight

RS online. I have a few here grant. If you send your address I'll get you 1 sent in the post tomorrow.

nuff
07-04-2015, 23:16
I don't know why that double posted?

walpurgis
07-04-2015, 23:19
I don't know why that double posted?

Not any more ;).

nuff
07-04-2015, 23:24
Not any more ;).

Thanks Geoff!

The Barbarian
08-04-2015, 14:13
Magnets on a Pick-Up arm :eek: I never even use any ferrous metals near or on my Arm.. Which happens to be the same arm as yours..

Barry
08-04-2015, 14:28

Can't tell you the exact weight of the lead shim, however the total weight of the cartridge, shim, S2-R headshell + fingerlift, and fixings is 22.8g.

I doubt if your magnet conterweight will have any effect on the cartridge: the cartridge is too far away at the end of the arm for it to be affected.