PDA

View Full Version : Phono stage or integrated amp for my system?

rossman
05-04-2015, 11:14
I own a Cocktail Audio X30 which I mainly use as a music server/amp. I need to use a phono stage with my Rega RP6/Denon DL 110. I have to say at this point that I am thoroughly enjoying my system regularly, with far less times of apathy/disappointment than any previous system. I have never had an amp for more than a year before having the urge to change it almost completely and I've had the X30 for about 16 months.

However, since getting the RP6 I would like to improve the phono playing side of the system at least and have been experimenting with various items that I have here. A VSPS seemed a bit thin in this system, an Angle Audio phono stage seemed to lack insight but was fun and the internal stage from A Teac A-H500. The latter appears to be the best via phono. I also tried the X30 via the Teac, and while the phono sounded good directly into it the X30 seemed quite shouty via the line inputs, something that I had felt before while using it in a second system. I actually feel that the Teac phono sounds a bit better via the tape outs to the X30 which is how I am currently using it.

At the moment I am on the waiting list to hear the Firebottle. One thing that is slightly puts me off valves though is the warm up time, I want to be able to listen straight away without worrying about waiting for improvements. Obviously I need to hear the Firebottle before deciding if I am willing to make that compromise.

The idea of a Rega based system appeals to me. Before the X30 I had the Brio-R, which I thought was excellent. The only reason I don't still have it was because I thought that the X30 was nearly as good in my room but I wanted the ripping/storage ability. I really wanted to keep the Brio-R but couldn't afford the X30 at the time without trading it in.

The current options open to me would be - Brio-R, Phono or Elex-R. Does anyone know how the Phono compares to the integrated amps' stages. As I've had the Brio-R I would be more likely to look at the Elex-R. Also how would the phono stages in older Rega amps compare? There is a big difference in price between the Phono and the Elex-R but I would be hoping to improve significantly on the internal amp of the X30 and gain more synergy on the record playing side. I am unlikely to get to hear the Elex-R though, so would like to hear opinions on what improvements there are over the Brio-R, both via phono stage and line inputs.

Sorry for rambling on but any thoughts and opinions on what to do next would be appreciated.

Thanks

Macca
05-04-2015, 14:28
I'd hang on for the Firebottle. Switch it on 10 mins before you use it that's plenty of warm up time.

DSJR
05-04-2015, 14:34
You love the facilities of the amp you have, so my suggestion is to get a phono stage for it. Depending on your reaction to the Firebottle, a Rega Aria may be another option, together with the far cheaper NJC phono stage. I have to say that owning a product carefully made by one individual is an attractive proposition ;)

Gordon Steadman
05-04-2015, 14:44
At the moment I am on the waiting list to hear the Firebottle. One thing that is slightly puts me off valves though is the warm up time, I want to be able to listen straight away without worrying about waiting for improvements. Obviously I need to hear the Firebottle before deciding if I am willing to make that compromise.

Alan will no doubt confirm the the Mark 2 is different but the warm up time is insignificant in my Mark 1. You switch on and under a minute later, the green light comes on to show its ready for action. I can't pretend I have noticed any difference to the sound after that. A minute lost from your life doesn't seem too much to spend considering the sound quality on off.

I would point out that I have no connection with this manufacturer, just a satisfied customer ...................oh and living quite close in France and us being good mates:lol:

rossman
05-04-2015, 16:49
Thank you all for your suggestions.

You love the facilities of the amp you have, so my suggestion is to get a phono stage for it. Depending on your reaction to the Firebottle, a Rega Aria may be another option, together with the far cheaper NJC phono stage. I have to say that owning a product carefully made by one individual is an attractive proposition ;)

The Rega Aria was on my possibilities list before I realised that the Elex-R was available. Never say never but I can't really see myself owning a MC cartridge so it does appear to be a lot to pay when I only need MM. Flawed thinking where sound quality is concerned no doubt but it's about twice the price of the Firebottle and similar to the Elex-R. I'm not familiar with the NJC.

[QUOTE=Gordon Steadman;636336]Alan will no doubt confirm the the Mark 2 is different but the warm up time is insignificant in my Mark 1. You switch on and under a minute later, the green light comes on to show its ready for action. I can't pretend I have noticed any difference to the sound after that. A minute lost from your life doesn't seem too much to spend considering the sound quality on off.
QUOTE]

A minute wouldn't be a problem, the X30 starts up in a similar way to a PC so both could be switched on at the same time and should be ready to go in a similar time frame. It's just that I have heard that valve amps can take half an hour or so to really come on song. I'll get a better idea when I've heard the Firebottle.

struth
05-04-2015, 18:12
I'd say it improves over the first 20/30 mins but its no slouch even after a minute. A fine stage, and if you ever use a low mc you can always buy a sut.

rossman
05-04-2015, 18:45
I'd say it improves over the first 20/30 mins but its no slouch even after a minute. A fine stage, and if you ever use a low mc you can always buy a sut.

Are you talking about the Firebottle here Grant? I thought it was MM/MC so there would be no need for a SUT?

I've just googled NJC and realised that I had come across their website before, it looks to be really well made.