PDA

View Full Version : timestep fitting questions

The Vinyl Adventure
03-09-2009, 17:42
I'm sure there a thread/web page containing photo's on how to fit a timestep/remove the other power supply? in fact, dave said there was... I just can't find it! Forgot to ask again this morning, and it's a bit late now... So... Any ideas anyone?
Also I'm gonna get a new/better soldering iron from the model shop upstairs from work tomo, they have a 25v one and a 40v one - which would be better for this kind on perpous? My current one is really low powered and takes ages to heat up solder, never mind a contact to melt solder! Also, should I use any particular type of solder?

The Vinyl Adventure
03-09-2009, 20:55
anyone,any ideas? pointers?

The Vinyl Adventure
03-09-2009, 21:50
I there realy no one here that can help me with this? I know at least 1 or 2 of you have a timestep.. An I got one due tomorrow, I wanna be prepared!!

Alex_UK
03-09-2009, 22:30
sorry dude, wud if i cud... Come on you lot, wakey wakey! ;)

The Grand Wazoo
03-09-2009, 23:47
sorry dude, wud if i cud... Come on you lot, wakey wakey! ;)

hmm, I had stuff to do & I went away thinking I'd catch up in a bit but there's not much to catch up on is there?

..............and it can't be 'cos there's something good on the telly tonight!!!!!!

The Vinyl Adventure
04-09-2009, 00:04
.... im watching troy, but i cant imagine everyone else is.. its interesting for the story, but brad pitt is a bit crap in it!

so what about this timestep then... have the people to answer the question just not been here tonight

The Vinyl Adventure
04-09-2009, 10:32
a simple "the instructions with pictures come in the box" would have sufficed :)
found a soldering iron too now so you can all ignor this thread now ......... .........

Nigel
04-09-2009, 11:02
I fitted a Time-Step the other day. The only scary moments are taking out the transformer & chopping the three wires. Bit of a fingers crossed moment.

The Vinyl Adventure
04-09-2009, 11:17
i guess it all makes more sence when i actually get inside the thing? i cant make out exactly what i supoded to do from the pictures!

Dave Cawley
04-09-2009, 11:33
Hamish, what can't you make out?

Dave

The Vinyl Adventure
04-09-2009, 12:26
the wires that i need to cut...
... not to worry to much for now though dave, if i get stuck when im inside the machine il worry about it then .. the pictures are confusing to me but only because im not inside the machine
just getting ahead of my self as usual :)

Dave Cawley
04-09-2009, 12:41
Hi Hamish

Yes you are! If you follow the instructions, that start with taking the plastic cover off, then all will become clear! Do one thing at a time.......

Regards

Dave

The Vinyl Adventure
04-09-2009, 12:47
heh, as i said before, i did think it would all become clear...
have you not yet picked up on the fact im a pain in the ass when it comes to hifi... you will... in time... you got a fun customer in me dave! ;)

Dave Cawley
04-09-2009, 12:56
I can work with "pain in the arse" customers, providing they can work with me!! In our now fading weather satellite business, we had customers that stayed with us for 20+ years.

Anyway, anyone with a D3 is 100% OK in my books!!

Regards

Dave

twelvebears
04-09-2009, 14:06
Also I'm gonna get a new/better soldering iron from the model shop upstairs from work tomo, they have a 25v one and a 40v one - which would be better for this kind on perpous? My current one is really low powered and takes ages to heat up solder, never mind a contact to melt solder! Also, should I use any particular type of solder?

I'd say to definately get a gas powered iron. I bought an Iroda one off of eBay and it's fantastic, especially with the hot air blower and gas torch attachments. I've done everything from fine soldering to hard-core internal binding post wiring with it and it heats up in about 30 seconds.

The Vinyl Adventure
04-09-2009, 14:23
I can work with "pain in the arse" customers, providing they can work with me!! In our now fading weather satellite business, we had customers that stayed with us for 20+ years.

Anyway, anyone with a D3 is 100% OK in my books!!

Regards

Dave

im all about long standing customer relationships.. working in an independant store and now for my self it just seems like the way to go! the internet seems to be blinding people to it but in my view thats thier loss!!

are we aos nikon buddys dave?... :lolsign:

The Vinyl Adventure
04-09-2009, 14:25
I'd say to definately get a gas powered iron. I bought an Iroda one off of eBay and it's fantastic, especially with the hot air blower and gas torch attachments. I've done everything from fine soldering to hard-core internal binding post wiring with it and it heats up in about 30 seconds.

cheers, noted.. cash depending, i will def look into that.. especially if im going to be building/atemting to build these amp kits i have looked at of late

The Vinyl Adventure
04-09-2009, 18:28
I BLOODY WELL DID IT!!cheers for the help dave

three upgrades today.. timestep, record weight, and who's next..
so far im pretty bloody sure i like em all!!

seriously though, if i can install one of these power supplys anyone can
i couldnt even find my wire cutters so i used garden secertors!! ..... im fairly certain one of these applys to that: :doh::smoking::eyebrows::lol: