PDA

View Full Version : On Facebook? Have a read here...

Gazjam
31-03-2015, 16:47
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/31/facebook-tracks-all-visitors-breaching-eu-law-report
things are getting a bit sinister...

Quite content to have came off it years ago.

walpurgis
31-03-2015, 16:59
Just about every site leaves cookies. I have a look through some of them every now and then and delete them regularly anyway.

Gazjam
31-03-2015, 17:41
That's true Geoff, but this is different...

From the article
When a user visits a third-party site that carries one of Facebook’s social plug-ins, it detects and sends the tracking cookies back to Facebook - even if the user does not interact with the Like button, Facebook Login or other extension of the social media site.

struth
31-03-2015, 18:16
A cookie blocker in your browser should stop it. I use 2; belt n braces :lol: avira and disconnect. also, adblock plus for other stuff. WOT takes care of dodgy sites, as does avira All in Browser add ons.

Gazjam
31-03-2015, 18:57
Yeah, spot on Grant.
I have Ghosterty, Adblock and NoScript running in Firefox.
Sure there's equivalent plugins for other browsers.

Good to raise awareness for those that don't know?

walpurgis
31-03-2015, 19:28
Not really a concern to me anyway. I don't use Facebook.

I have found that if all cookies are blocked, some sites cease to operate cooperatively. eBay for instance.

struth
31-03-2015, 19:59

I have found that if all cookies are blocked, some sites cease to operate cooperatively. eBay for instance.

It wont block all cookies Geoff, just the ones that shouldnt be running. The ones needed for the program or site will still run fine.

Even if you innocently read a page on google of a facebook entry they have you and are tracking you.

Ninanina
31-03-2015, 20:01

Me either... I don't have a use for it...:D

The Black Adder
31-03-2015, 20:08
me neither... I used to be but I've been clean for over 6 years now. It's disgusting what FB are doing... I've now downloaded Ghostery in memory munching Chrome.

struth
31-03-2015, 20:11
Still prefer Opera. occasionally I switch to the others for a try but always come back

even on this site I have blocked 12 attempts by google and another 7 advertisers...avira has blocked 2 nasty trackers

Ninanina
31-03-2015, 20:15
I've been clean for over 6 years now.

:rfl::rfl: