PDA

View Full Version : Disgusting Kelloggs Multi Grain porridge

hifi_dave
30-03-2015, 12:17
I do enjoy a bowl of healthy breakfast cereal, usually Oat based. So, I was eager to try the Kelloggs Special-K Multi Grain porridge I purchased yesterday. I was expecting a substantial bowlful of "whole Oats, Barley and Rye" with texture, bite and chewy grains. Something to get my taste buds going. The reality was somewhat different.

What I did get was half a small bowl of grey/green slime with a vague, nasty chemical taste of some sort. Left for a minute, it became solid, like old wallpaper paste and was totally disgusting. It is nothing, nothing at all like the appetising pictures on the front and rear of the box. To say I am disappointed is putting it mildly.

I contacted Kelloggs via their website, filled in the form and sent the information to receive a message about the 'administrator is offline' and I had to phone. I was connected to a very bored and disinterested person who said that "thousands enjoy their products" and it was "my taste". I asked what I should do next and she said "whatever you want" and "throw it away". She wouldn't take my details and no refund is possible.

So - beware of any Kelloggs micro wave porridge products because they ain't very pleasant..:spew:

Macca
30-03-2015, 12:22
Special K is disgusting, porridge is disgusting so go alone knows what the two combined are like ;)

Cereals are crap anyway - a Mars bar and a pint of milk - now that's the breakfast of champions :)

RobbieGong
30-03-2015, 12:34
I like it actually. Quick, tastes fine to me. I squeeze a little honey on top - no probs :)

hifi_dave
30-03-2015, 12:49
My usual is Flahavans Jumbo Organic Oats and this is lovely with texture, bite and fibre. Just good quality milled Oats and nothing added.

The Kelloggs muck starts off as dust with few discernible Oat flakes, no Barley to be seen and a peculiar chemical smell. So, it's not just cereal and grains, something has been added which gives it a nasty chemical flavour. I wasn't expecting much when I opened the sachet and wasn't disappointed in that respect, as all it produced was slime, which had nothing to do with the pictures on the carton. I really feel this is a Trading Standards issue and will be investigating that.

struth
30-03-2015, 12:59
Real farmers porridge is great . I used to make it. It uses pinhead oats, not the rolled stuff. Takes longer though added fruit like cranberry and brown molasses sugar and double cream...yum and lasts you all day

prestonchipfryer
30-03-2015, 15:27
I've tried quite a few ''quick'' porridges mixes and not found one yet that is any good, not for me and my missus anyway.

The Barbarian
30-03-2015, 15:39
Who's you tried? i got four boxes of 'Asda Chosen For Kids' sachets i have yet to try!

prestonchipfryer
30-03-2015, 15:44
We've tried Lidl, ASDA, Waitrose and Sainsbury. All supposed to be ready in two or so mins in the microwave. Not liked any of them, they have a chemical taste and go really sticky very quickly. You might find otherwise though.

The Barbarian
30-03-2015, 16:03
Do you do the trick of stirring half way through the Microwave cook?

hifi_dave
30-03-2015, 16:16
I did everything strictly according to the instructions but the result was slime, which quickly turned to glue. That plus there was no texture and a peculiar taste and smell. My Wife commented on the weird smell before seeing what I was doing.

That will teach me not to buy anything other than pure Oats. The pictures on the box were very tempting though.

prestonchipfryer
30-03-2015, 16:54
Always stir the porridge but still bloody awful!

archiesdad
31-03-2015, 20:39
I was with macca until I realised it was a pint of milk!, Guinness is a far better option, and the Mars bar deep fried.
Or,
Steep real oats overnight to shorten the cooking time, add salt or the top of the milk(5star milk not unleaded crap) then the fry up, wash down with the rest of the milk.

mikmas
31-03-2015, 22:27
I hate porridge either way - my mum used to make it with water when I was a kid and that put me of the stuff for life. Have tried it made with milk and it's still unadulterated wallpaper bile...

Don't even get me started on sago :punch:

British high fidelity
31-03-2015, 22:55
So it's ready break for me then lol always liked the orange glow around me as I walked to school

Andrei
31-03-2015, 23:16
Make your own muesli Dave. Not only will it taste better but it will be blindingly cheap. 500 g rolled oats, and sprinkle in things like; raisins, chopped cranberries, a few pumpkin seeds, a couple of crushed weetbix for texture. Add a little wheat germ if you like - really just look round the bulk bins at the supermarket and add a bit of this or that. The end result will be about 80 percent rolled oats. Do not cook, but just add the milk of your choice.

struth
31-03-2015, 23:19
Use pinhead(sometimes called steel cut) oats. simmer them as usual using a little less than normal water; ( but dont put salt in too early as that can make them tough.) once it starts to thicken add some milk , dried fruit(cranberries or apricots ) and a teaspoon of soft dark brown sugar. once ready, it should have the texture of rice pudding. serve; add double cream and more brown sugar on top and eat a meal fit for a king.

worrasf
01-04-2015, 06:34
Best I've tried and now a regular purchase is Waitrose rolled oats - all the rest are just disgusting :spew:

2 cups of milk to 1 cup of oats - 8 minutes of simmer - perfect. :drool:

Trouble is I then go and ruin the "health gain"by a large dollop(s) of golden syrup :thumbsup:

Beobloke
01-04-2015, 09:38
All you need for porridge is some proper porridge oats, milk and a saucepan. No 'instant' packets, no nuts, no fruit, no chewy bits and certainly not a bl**dy microwave! Oh, and NO SALT either. :spew:

Certain toppings are acceptable, however, such as Golden Syrup, cream or honey. In the winter when it is available, I can also heartily recommend a dollop of M&S Extra Thick Brandy Cream - gets the day off to a fine start and gives you a warm glow!

To the OP; Dave - it serves you right. Stick to Flahavan's! :D

hifi_dave
01-04-2015, 13:02
Thing is, I was seduced by the pictures on the box and the description, both of which are totally misleading and a breach of the trades description act, I reckon. I haven't thrown it away, as suggested by the helpful (not) complaints dept at Kelloggs, because I might try to make an official complaint. I just don't believe anyone could enjoy the Kelloggs
green slime.

I do make my own Muesli and regularly eat Irish steel cut Oatmeal and the Flahavans organic jumbo Oats, all of which are right up my street.

archiesdad
01-04-2015, 18:42
So it's ready break for me then lol always liked the orange glow around me as I walked to school
The orange glow is due to living near a nuclear power station not the brekkie?

DSJR
01-04-2015, 18:48
Thing is, I was seduced by the pictures on the box and the description, both of which are totally misleading and a breach of the trades description act, I reckon. I haven't thrown it away, as suggested by the helpful (not) complaints dept at Kelloggs, because I might try to make an official complaint. I just don't believe anyone could enjoy the Kelloggs
green slime.

I do make my own Muesli and regularly eat Irish steel cut Oatmeal and the Flahavans organic jumbo Oats, all of which are right up my street.

Oh, just get some good wholemeal bread, cut a couple of slices and shove it under the grill/in the toaster. Spread to choice and add marmalade to choice. Either this or make a bowl of your grandkids' Shreddies :lol:

Bloody designer porridge. What are you chaps like?