PDA

View Full Version : What does a nagaoka cartridge warranty look like?

rdpx
29-03-2015, 21:44
Hi there

can anyone post a quick picture of what a genuine NAGAOKA cartridge warranty looks like, as would be found inside the box?

This would help me out in making a decision on buying a used cartridge....

Thanks

Robert

Macca
29-03-2015, 22:02
all the used ones I have bought all come with a frequency response trace, signed and dated, Ask him for that.

rdpx
29-03-2015, 22:10
all the used ones I have bought all come with a frequency response trace, signed and dated, Ask him for that.

Problem with that is if he asked me what it was I would have to admit that I had no idea at all.

:lol:

I mean is that something that would come with a new cartridge, or is it something that you get if you buy a used cart from a proper shop?

I really just need to know what the warranty card looks like. I mean EG is this a NAG warranty card? :

http://i.imgur.com/K0fd0rg.png

struth
29-03-2015, 22:36
I would think it easier to fake a guarantee card than a cart. Could be a Japanese market one.

rdpx
29-03-2015, 22:44
I would think it easier to fake a guarantee card than a cart. Could be a Japanese market one.

That's an image pulled off a different place. The guy I am talking to says that inside the box there is no warranty card just the "paper owner's manual".

My problem is that I don't know what this "card" should look like. It is a Japan market one apparently. Low use. He is keen to sell, but I am being advised to be wary if no warranty card, which is why I need to know what it looks like... I mean does it have holograms, is it special at all... should it have a serial number on the card inside the box that MATCHES the number on the barcode on outside of the box?

......Or is it just a card where you fill in the number on the box and send it in....???

:confused:

I really want to buy this but don't want to find myself stung in first cartridge purchase!

struth
29-03-2015, 22:48
That's an image pulled off a different place. The guy I am talking to says that inside the box there is no warranty card just the "paper owner's manual".

My problem is that I don't know what this "card" should look like. It is a Japan market one apparently. Low use. He is keen to sell, but I am being advised to be wary if no warranty card, which is why I need to know what it looks like... I mean does it have holograms, is it special at all... should it have a serial number on the card inside the box that MATCHES the number on the barcode on outside of the box?

......Or is it just a card where you fill in the number on the box and send it in....???

:confused:

I really want to buy this but don't want to find myself stung in first cartridge purchase!

If in doubt, give it a wide berth Robert. There are always good carts come up here. at least you'll know where they came from. Might have something myself soon....

The Acutex carts on the Bay from Italy are good. great value

Macca
30-03-2015, 07:37
Problem with that is if he asked me what it was I would have to admit that I had no idea at all.

I mean is that something that would come with a new cartridge, or is it something that you get if you buy a used cart from a proper shop?

I really just need to know what the warranty card looks like. I mean EG is this a NAG warranty card? :

That looks like the instrution leaflet. I've not bought a new NAG since about 1995 but I don't recall getting a warranty card with it.

The frequency respone trace is a graph printed on a small sheet of paper, a bit like tracing paper, showing the response of the cart from 0Hz to 20K Hz and will be hand signed and dated by the Jap engineer who did the test. If he can show you that then it is more than likely genuine.

CageyH
30-03-2015, 08:10
I'll check my Nagaoka cartridge paperwork tonight and let you know.
I bought it two to three years ago, but I don't remember there being a warranty card.

paskinn
30-03-2015, 08:15
Are you suggesting someone is faking Nagokas? And if so, wouldn't they be sure to fake the papers too? I bought a Nagoka 500 last year and all it had was a small bit of folded paper.
With respect, you seem to be missing the point. Used cartridges are a potential minefield, you don't know how old it is, and you don't know if it has been mishandled. That's the bit to worry about....better, imo, to buy a fresh cartridge. It's too risky. Quite a lot of this stuff is close to knackered. I gave a Benz away, as part of a part ex with a dealer. It was worn out, next thing I knew it was being advertised as 'mint'. Have you noticed how nearly all second hand cartridges have 'low hours'? how does that work? Imagine cars with no milometer.
Then there's the oem retips claimed to be original........if you buy a used cartridge only, ever, buy from someone you know well and trust. And buying from a well-established member of the forum should be fine too.

hifi_dave
30-03-2015, 09:10
As Peter says, you are worrying unnecessarily about a bit of paper when the cartridge might have been mistreated and worn out. It's always a risk buying a second hand cartridge unless you know the seller. Personally, I would never, ever buy a second hand cartridge.

Macca
30-03-2015, 11:18
How can it be worn out? The stylus might be knackered but that can be replaced easily enough. Nagoakas are moving iron not moving coils.

Reffc
30-03-2015, 11:57
The warranty is usually supplied by the dealer (sometimes it's just the receipt as proof of purchase) and if there's a fault, you can send it back for a replacement, repair or refund in the UK. Buying imports means you take a big risk if the cart has a fault, that's the first thing. Secondly, there is a large market selling out of spec or even fake carts. I came across a £700 cart not long ago which was supplied with paperwork including serial number, which when checked with the manufacturer, didn't exist! Buyer beware, as always.

I would usually buy new now because as others have pointed out, the used market is very hit and miss. The exception is usually buying where you have factored in the cost of a replacement stylus. Get the body for a reasonable sum where MI/MM carts are concerned and you can sometimes land a bargain.

rdpx
30-03-2015, 11:57
I have rushed in where angels feared to tread.

Nagaoka MP-200 on the way.

rdpx
01-04-2015, 11:02
Today the cartridge turned up in the post and it looks absolutely brand new as advertised. As a complete surprise he also sent me a free copy of STAGE by David Bowie with a lovely note "Thought you might like this Bowie album to add to your collection".

I love it when the internet works so beautifully. Even the postman started telling me about his dad's Linn Sondek...

Full of the joys of spring here.

:)

http://i.imgur.com/nPJhPyH.jpg

walpurgis
01-04-2015, 11:14
Let us know how it sounds.

rdpx
01-04-2015, 11:16
Let us know how it sounds.

Will do.
I have to solder in the RCA leads first though, and I have no idea what I am doing so it may be some time...

struth
01-04-2015, 11:35
hope your not going to solder onto the cart;)

rdpx
01-04-2015, 12:30
Am going to just attach directly to the stylus.

PaulStewart
01-04-2015, 20:39

I hope you enjoy your new cartridge, out of interest, the potion on the right, with the dotted lines is the section for you to (if you were a resident of Japan). fill in and send to the manufacturer. In japan as in most countries the warranty lies with them not the reseller. With my very limited knowledge of HiFi related Japanese, all picked up yonks ago when I was an exec for JVC, this is the manual and warranty document for a non export version of the cartridge. I had a similar one with my Koetsu Rosewood signature, which was a personal import. Put the Nag on the TT and enjoy it.

Reffc
01-04-2015, 21:24
I hope you enjoy your new cartridge, out of interest, the potion on the right, with the dotted lines is the section for you to (if you were a resident of Japan). fill in and send to the manufacturer. In japan as in most countries the warranty lies with them not the reseller. With my very limited knowledge of HiFi related Japanese, all picked up yonks ago when I was an exec for JVC, this is the manual and warranty document for a non export version of the cartridge. I had a similar one with my Koetsu Rosewood signature, which was a personal import. Put the Nag on the TT and enjoy it.

That is correct. All carts direct imported from Japan have this paper. With UK supplied carts, the warranty is enacted via the official UK dealership (in line with our own contract laws), so your contract for warranty issues lies with them.

anubisgrau
02-04-2015, 09:25
And don't forget to let us know how the warranty looks like....

:)

PaulStewart
02-04-2015, 19:20
That is correct. All carts direct imported from Japan have this paper. With UK supplied carts, the warranty is enacted via the official UK dealership (in line with our own contract laws), so your contract for warranty issues lies with them.

Whereas I am correct Paul, you are not accurate in your observations. Under the Supply of Goods Act, the reseller is responsible for the contract with the end user, and the wholesaler or importer/manufacturer if supplied to the reseller direct, has the responsibility to the reseller, it's a chain. However, if the reseller goes bust, then the end user has redress from the manufacturer or importer.

Reffc
03-04-2015, 10:11
Whereas I am correct Paul, you are not accurate in your observations. Under the Supply of Goods Act, the reseller is responsible for the contract with the end user, and the wholesaler or importer/manufacturer if supplied to the reseller direct, has the responsibility to the reseller, it's a chain. However, if the reseller goes bust, then the end user has redress from the manufacturer or importer.

I'm perfectly well aware of all that. No-one mentioned the specific case of a UK supplier going bust. In normal instances the contract remains with the seller and it is for the seller under the Sale of Goods Act to sort out any defective goods, including sorting the warranty issues on behalf of the customer. In the first instance, any fault should be dealt with the trader. I mention this because I know of a few people who have tried to be fobbed off by the sellers when trying to sort warranty issues and they were told to "sort it direct with the manufacturer" to which my advice was to push for the dealer to sort it as that is who they had the contract with which is what they ended up doing. Nuff said as paint drying is probably more interesting.