PDA

View Full Version : Make your Yamaha AX-596 , 592 or 892 go Headless

Codifus
02-09-2009, 18:40
I noticed that one or 2 of you on this forum have the same, or similar amp that I have. You may have noticed that these Yamaha integrated amplifiers can be seperated to a pre-amp and power amp by removing the jumpers on the pre-out/main in connections on the back.

Do this;

Power off and remove the jumpers on your Yamaha.
Connect your DAC, such as the Beresford TC-7520, using the variable output connections, to the main-in terminals on the Yamaha.
Make sure that all the direct and CD direct buttons on the Yamaha are disabled.

Power on the system (volume all the way down on the 7520!) and play some music. Prepare to be stupified:eyebrows:

I am now faced with the frustration that I have now given up all my analog inputs and remote capabilities, but the sound coming from my system now is un-believable. I can not go back.

I can not believe how much my AX-596 pre-amp was holding back the TC-7520.

Please let me know your experience as well.

CD

StanleyB
02-09-2009, 18:52
I can not believe how much my AX-596 pre-amp was holding back the TC-7520.
I have a couple of preamps collecting dust since I started using a 7520 as my preamp. DAC to power amp will always offer more detail than DAC -> preamp -> power amp.

cull513
17-02-2011, 15:16
Hi there, thank you for this information its been extremely useful.

I to have a Yamaha ax-596 that I have connect to my PC (Sound blaster X-fi titanium) via the AUX phono socket on the back of the amp, since reading your advice I have directory connected it to the “Main in” disabling the pre-amp and your absolutely right, the improvement in sound quality is incredible.

The problem I have now is i only have volume control via my PC and I have been told that reducing the volume via the PC also reduces the sound quality, is this really the case? I have to turn the volume down to around 5% so that it is at a reasonable volume but could be losing sound quality.

Would I gain any sound improvement by buying the DAC you have (Beresford TC-7520)
, I no this would give me a proper volume control, presumably having the volume turned down on this device wouldn’t compromise sound quality, I could turn my PC up and have the DAC turned down, also I would be able to connect it via the optical or coaxial.

If there wouldn’t be any gain in sound quality using the Beresford TC-7520 just volume control I don’t think I will purchase it.

Oh yer and one other think, when I had it connected via the AUX I had the “Pure direct button” pressed which I thought then by-passed the pre amp, how come it sounds so much better when physically unplugging the pre amp and connecting direct, isn’t this sort of doing the same thing?

Any help on how best to set up my system would be much appreciated.

Marco
17-02-2011, 15:27
Hi Chris,

Welcome to AoS :)

Could you please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community, by telling us about yourself, your system and what music you like, as this is the required procedure for all new members joining AoS.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.