PDA

View Full Version : The dangers of motorsport

BTH K10A
28-03-2015, 17:25
A poignant reminder that even spectating at motorsport events is not without danger.

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/breaking-nissan-crashes-into-spectator-area-at-nurburgring-032815

awkwardbydesign
28-03-2015, 17:50
A poignant reminder that even spectating at motorsport events is not without danger.

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/breaking-nissan-crashes-into-spectator-area-at-nurburgring-032815

Sad. I have ridden the Nurburgring and nearly killed myself!

Darren
29-03-2015, 18:15
Awful. Have you seen the YouTube footage of the crash? Whatever aerodynamic measures had been taken to keep that Nismo on the ground.... They weren't working.

RobbieGong
29-03-2015, 19:12
Very sad but a harsh reality in all forms of motorsport. TT scares the absolute &&%$ out of me, how those guys do it I honestly dont know (whatsits the size of cannon balls !) - maximum respect to them.

Btw Here's some of what Wiki says about TT racing:

[I]The TT races are extremely dangerous because riders achieve high speeds on very narrow, twisting streets, roads and lanes flanked by stone walls and buildings. Between 1907 and 2014 there have been 245 rider competitor fatalities during official practices or races on the Snaefell Mountain Course (this number includes the riders killed during the Manx Grand Prix and Isle of Man Clubman TT races). The worst year for fatalities was 1970 when six riders lost their lives at the TT. Another racer died at the Manx Grand Prix later in the same year.

Due to the ongoing dangers and safety concerns, annual doubts are raised over the future of the TT. On "Mad Sunday" any member of the public can ride the mountain section of the course, which is open one way from Ramsey to Douglas. In 2012 there were just four accidents on the open day - while in previous years there had been dozens.

In 2013, a rider lost control on the first lap of the Senior TT and his machine impacted with spectators near to the bottom of Bray Hill, close to the start area on the outskirts of Douglas. Eleven were injured.

Spectral Morn
29-03-2015, 20:09
All sport is dangerous, even those that are more entertainment. Its very sad that a spectator was killed and others injured :(, thankfully less incidents like this happen these days than in the past.

One sport that is ridiculed because of its theatrics and close choreography is wrestling. What these guys and gals do is very dangerous. To illustrate that a Mexican wrestler died a few days ago during a match. The wrestler Perro Aguayo was killed during the match by WWE superstar Rey Mysterio Jr in a tragic accident when a move went wrong.

I watched the footage earlier today and its very upsetting :(

Regards Neil

Desmo
29-03-2015, 21:02
All sport is dangerous, even those that are more entertainment. Its very sad that a spectator was killed and others injured :(, thankfully less incidents like this happen these days than in the past.

I watched the footage earlier today and its very upsetting :(

Regards Neil

Every ticket sold for a motor racing event, at least in the UK, has the wording "Motorsport is dangerous" printed on the back.

I help to run an Alfa Romeo race team during the season, and sadly I've seen the proof of that statement a few times. We all take great care to minimise the risks, and to try and keep safe, but it is fundamentally a dangerous sport.