PDA

View Full Version : FS: Slim Devices Transporter

iansr
01-09-2009, 21:21
This silver unit is just 2 weeks old, barely used and is pristine. I obviously have the original double box and all the bits. Bit fishy you are thinking, why is he selling? The answer is that I have unexpectedly got an opportunity to buy a used Modwright modded one at a price that is too good to miss. The stock Transporter is really excellent (better than the £2900 CDP with a TDA1541 S2 it replaced IMO) but the top Modwright one is simply the best digital I've ever heard. (You can now get the Modwright mods done in the UK BTW).

The discounted Amazon price is £1300. I'm asking £1150.

Marco
01-09-2009, 21:40
Pictures, Ian?

Folk like to see what they're buying, mate :)

Marco.

iansr
01-09-2009, 21:59
Hi Marco
Pictures I can do, but not for a couple of days as its at home in Huddersfield and I'm not.
Rgds
Ian

Alex_UK
01-09-2009, 22:19
Here's a couple of "library" images to be going on with:

http://hifi-reviews.com/images/digitalsystems/TransporterNetworkMusicPlayer-front.jpg

http://hifi-reviews.com/images/digitalsystems/TransporterNetworkMusicPlayer-rear.jpg

Very nice bit of kit, but my cupboard is bare!

iansr
01-09-2009, 22:38
Thanks Alex, that's exactly what it looks like except you won't see Herbie Hancock scrolling across the front whilst its connected to my hard drive ;-)

Marco
02-09-2009, 09:32
Nice one :)

What do Modwright do to improve the stock one and how much is the complete unit, thus modded? Got any links to websites, etc, showing details of these modifications?

The reason I ask is that I will eventually need a streaming device and I've always loved the Transporter because of its VU meters! Well, if a diehard analogue boy like me is going to get into computer audio it may as well look a bit retro :eyebrows:

What are the meters for exactly?

Marco.

Ali Tait
02-09-2009, 14:51
Hi Marco,
Can't post links as I'm writing this on my phone,but just google modwright and click on the link for the "truth" mods for the Transporter.Ian,who does the mods here?

Alex_UK
02-09-2009, 15:36
This is the link (http://www.modwright.com/modifications/9) - Marco will like it, it has glowy bits

EDIT: But still plays Herbie Hancock! :lol:

Tony Moore
02-09-2009, 16:30
And the VU meters are showing _exactly_ the same level as they were in the other photo...hmmm. Suspicious...:scratch:

:lolsign:

3rd pic looks authentic though. Nice.

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
02-09-2009, 17:36
Hi Guys

As far as I am concerned Dan Wright can do no wrong. Real nice guy to talk to, very approachable and helpful too.

I have had extended listens to the Sony9000ES he mods with external P/S and Valve O/P stage. I beleive there are also mods to the Master Clock and most of the Analogue stage. A truely excellent sounding CDP. If I didn't already own my current setup I would have on of these. So if the Transporter is modded by DW I would beleive it to be an excellent bit of kit.

Just to prove I am a Dan Wright fan I also currently run the Modwirght 36.5 Pre and SWP 9.0se Phone Stage

Andy - SDDW

Tony Moore
02-09-2009, 18:06
Hi Andy,

I wasn't intending to cast any nasturtiums! :lolsign:

Sorry if it came over that way. I just thought it was interesting that the photo was so similar to the other one. ;)

Probably a promo pic before having a real production unit.

Cheers,
Tony

Marco
02-09-2009, 19:37
This is the link (http://www.modwright.com/modifications/9) - Marco will like it, it has glowy bits

I think I've just seen my future streaming device, oh yes siree! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Ali Tait
02-09-2009, 19:48
Yes indeed,me too Marco.People who's ears I trust say this is the best digital sound by far they've ever heard.

Marco
02-09-2009, 20:21
I don't doubt it, Ali. Valves on a music server - can't be bad!!

Joking aside, though, without having researched this properly yet (and don't worry I will), it just 'feels' right :)

Marco.

Ali Tait
02-09-2009, 20:35
I've heard nothing but good things about Modwright gear.

iansr
02-09-2009, 20:38
Marco
Go to 6moons and look for the review of the Modwright Transporter. it gives details of the mods. He also now goes further with his Signature version which is what I'm getting. The VU meters deflect in coordination with the output levels of the music playing. You should be warned, the great sound and sheer convenience of accessing all your music with a remote and a display visible from your seat is seductive. Analogue will start to seem a real PITA.

Ali
Hope i'm not out of order telling you this but its a mutual friend of ours (via the UK distributor Angelsound). So far he has done a Signature upgrade but Dan Wright has indicated (to me at least) that he is cool with our friend/Angelsound doing all the upgrades in the UK.

Anyway, who wants to buy my as-new Transporter?

iansr
02-09-2009, 20:50
Yes indeed,me too Marco.People who's ears I trust say this is the best digital sound by far they've ever heard.

I've heard a lot of digital sources and I can honestly say that the Modwright Transporter leaves them in the dust. I wanted to hear one to see if it could match my very good CDP (which used a TDA1541 S2). I really wasn't prepared for the fact that it would be in another league. I immediately put my CDP up for sale. The standard stock unit is in fact better than that CDP.

Marco
02-09-2009, 21:41
Hi Ian,

Well it would have to go some to beat my Audiocom-modded Sony combo, which is also TDA1541-based and sounds stunning, but the difference is I'm not looking to replace it - merely add to it.

The Sony would always be kept for playing my large collection of CDs, and the (modified) Transporter for streaming music files from the Internet and my hard-drive :)

Anyway, good luck with the sale. Unfortunately, I'm more interested in what you're buying next than what you're selling now ;)

I'm sure that someone will be along soon though to snap it up!

Marco.

Ali Tait
03-09-2009, 12:12
Hi Ian,
No,not out of order I think,I've already talked to the same person about it,in fact it was he who told me about how good it sounds,though I wasn't aware he was doing the mods too.

technobear
06-09-2009, 17:57
I don't doubt it, Ali. Valves on a music server - can't be bad!!

But you already have valves in your pre-amp :)

I too have a Croft and the stock Transporter works very well with it.

I think you should buy this Transporter and plug it into your DAS-R1 :eyebrows:

In fact I think it would make for an interesting comparison to compare the Transporter's own output to that of the DAS-R1 fed by the Transporter.

Marco
06-09-2009, 19:30
Hi Chris,

If I end up with a Mod Wright-modified Transporter, I'll definitely do the comparison! :)

In fact, I'm glad you've mentioned this as I was going to ask if using the (modded) Transporter with the DAS-R1 was possible... I wondered if by doing so, I'd lose the benefit of the Mod Wright-modified Transporter's valve stage?

Any music server I buy will be used in conjunction with the Audiocom-modded DAS-R1, as it's such a fabulous piece of kit that in all seriousness I doubt could be upgraded by anything other than further mods from Audiocom :cool:

I'm open-minded though and so would 'never say never'!

Marco.

technobear
06-09-2009, 20:31
Hi Chris,

If I end up with a Mod Wright-modified Transporter, I'll definitely do the comparison! :)

In fact, I'm glad you've mentioned this as I was going to ask if using the (modded) Transporter with the DAS-R1 was possible... I wondered if by doing so, I'd lose the benefit of the Mod Wright-modified Transporter's valve stage?

By using the DAS-R1 you totally bypass the DAC and analogue stages in the Transporter. The reason to buy a standard Transporter for use with the DAS-R1 is that the Transporter is a very low jitter source (and has cool VU meters of course).

There would be no point in buying a Modwright Transporter to feed the DAS-R1. You only need a standard Transporter for that.

Marco
06-09-2009, 21:19
Hi Chris,

Ah... Thanks for clearing that up. It could make a big difference to my future plans in that area :)

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
07-09-2009, 06:58
Any music server I buy will be used in conjunction with the Audiocom-modded DAS-R1, as it's such a fabulous piece of kit that in all seriousness I doubt could be upgraded by anything other than further mods from Audiocom :cool:

You should ask Mark about a fully modded squeezebox. A standard squeezebox is a good starting put to get into streaming audio, and if you intention, always, is to use your DAS-R1 as a dac, you have nothing to loose. You can get the VU meters on the Squeezebox, it's a set up parameter in Squeezecenter, I had mine that way for a while.

I really like my standard squeezebox, and I had asked Mark about a fully modified one that used only the analogue outputs. His opionion is that it is only really worth doing the digital side of things, to connect to a DAC. I found that the standard analogue output of the squeezebox was so close to the digital output into a Beresford TC-7510 (Mk6/3) that it wasn't worth bothering with the dac. (I felt the Dac was mandatory with an airport express).

The Sony would always be kept for playing my large collection of CDs

You say that now, but once you have instant remote control access to any tune, or combination of tunes you want to hear, you'll realise just how 20th century CDs and Vinyl are.

Marco
07-09-2009, 07:37
Hi Peter,

Excellent suggestion regarding an Audiocom-modded Squeezebox. It's another valid option to bear in mind :)

You say that now, but once you have instant remote control access to any tune, or combination of tunes you want to hear, you'll realise just how 20th century CDs and Vinyl are.

LOL. Sacre-bleu - mais non! Don't you know me by now and my penchant for all things 'tactile'? ;)

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
07-09-2009, 07:44
Hi Peter,

LOL. Sacre-bleu - mais non! Don't you know me by now and my penchant for all things 'tactile'? ;)

Marco.

Yes, zut, of course :) I forget you still use a wind up 78 gramophone for listening to tunes in the car :lol:

Marco
07-09-2009, 07:51
Yes indeedy - when you think of me, think of the contents of my avatar! :lolsign:

Marco.

tommy1
07-09-2009, 10:56
You don't need a Transporter to get the cool VU meters. They are available on the Squeezebox classic too.

technobear
07-09-2009, 11:15
You don't need a Transporter to get the cool VU meters. They are available on the Squeezebox classic too.

Yeah but... no but... yeah but...

You can't have VU meters and see what's playing at the same time on a Squeezebox ;)

Peter Stockwell
07-09-2009, 11:33
Yeah but... no but... yeah but...

You can't have VU meters and see what's playing at the same time on a Squeezebox ;)

You can, almost, well you can "ask" to see what's playing via the remote and the it'll revert to the VU meters. I like the what's playing, because I have tunes that I don't always recognise because I haven't listened to them in a while, or ever in some cases, I reverted to that mode after a while.

Marco
07-09-2009, 12:55
I want both simultaneously!

Actually, what I'm really looking for is a Transporter (or some other music server) which has valves to control its 'other main bits', if you will, apart from the output stage, so I can obtain the 'signature' of valves in the circuit AND the sonic abilities of the DAS-R1... :eyebrows:

Is there such a device available?

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
07-09-2009, 13:11
what I'm really looking for is a Transporter (or some other music server) which has valves to control its 'other main bits', if you will, apart from the output stage, so I can obtain the 'signature' of valves in the circuit AND the sonic abilities of the DAS-R1...

I don't think I follow you ?

Marco
07-09-2009, 13:35
Peter,

See Chris' earlier post:

By using the DAS-R1 you totally bypass the DAC and analogue stages in the Transporter. The reason to buy a standard Transporter for use with the DAS-R1 is that the Transporter is a very low jitter source (and has cool VU meters of course).

There would be no point in buying a [valved] Modwright Transporter to feed the DAS-R1. You only need a standard Transporter for that.

This should explain. I'm looking to obtain the 'valve effect' and 'DAS-R1 effect' together. It seems that this isn't possible with either version of the Transporter.

I want a music server that has valves in places in which I can utilise them with the DAS-R1 in-line.

Marco.

technobear
07-09-2009, 14:21
Peter,

See Chris' earlier post:

This should explain. I'm looking to obtain the 'valve effect' and 'DAS-R1 effect' together. It seems that this isn't possible with either version of the Transporter.

I want a music server that has valves in places in which I can utilise them with the DAS-R1 in-line.

Marco.

Not possible. It's all just 1's and 0's until it enters the DAS-R1.

I don't know how many million transistors are in the Transporter's processor but it would be a neat trick to make one with valves.

Marco, you have all the valves you really need in the Charisma-X, nevermind the KT88s. You don't need any more.

Stratmangler
07-09-2009, 14:30
Is there such a device available?

Marco.

No !

Chris:)

Marco
07-09-2009, 16:07
LOL, guys... But, but... A man can never have too many bottles! :lolsign:

I guess I'll just have to compare the 'tubed' Transporter against my Audiocom-modded DAS-R1, streaming music, when I'm in the market for one of those bad boys :)

Marco.

iansr
18-09-2009, 23:19
Down to £995 for a quick sale.

iansr
24-09-2009, 22:26
Now £950 ono. I'll just point out again, this is for all intents and purposes a new unit.

Gazjam
25-09-2009, 02:38
£950?

Bargain!

Out of my reach unfortunately, (and I've a SB3/Caiman) but have a free bump on me. :)

iansr
25-09-2009, 11:55
Thanks Gazjam. Yes it is a bargain at that price. Hopefully somebody with some dosh will realise that soon!

Audiocom AV
25-09-2009, 15:00
LOL, guys... But, but... A man can never have too many bottles! :lolsign:

I guess I'll just have to compare the 'tubed' Transporter against my Audiocom-modded DAS-R1, streaming music, when I'm in the market for one of those bad boys :)

Marco.

Hello Marco

Not tried the Modwright Transporter but I have had a standard and reference modified Transporter running with a DAS-R1 and the sound is sublime. The upgrades made to the Transporter are digital only, although the clock system sits central more or less to both digital & analogue.

I spent two months with the modded Transporter + DAS-R1 and took the CDP-R1 transport out of the system, that goes some way to telling you how good streaming music files is with this slick box.

All the best,
Mark

Marco
25-09-2009, 15:39
Not tried the Modwright Transporter but I have had a standard and reference modified Transporter...

Hi Mark,

How are you? I hope all is well :)

Could you give me more details of your reference modified Transporter, in terms of cost and a list of the actual modifications that have been carried out to the unit?

I spent two months with the modded Transporter + DAS-R1 and took the CDP-R1 transport out of the system, that goes some way to telling you how good streaming music files is with this slick box.

Very interesting. This could be the exactly the combination I'm looking for! :cool:

Marco.

P.S When you reply, please do so under a separate thread in The Digital Impression. Don't want to hog Ian's sale ad any further - sorry, Ian!

Ali Tait
25-09-2009, 15:40
Ian,if I had the spare cash I'd have it,but unfortunately the missus needs a new car this month! :( Hope I get a chance to hear the Modwright sometime.

iansr
25-09-2009, 17:40
Ali

Once my house decorations are done and I've switched my system into the dedicated audio room with the discrete mains circuit/ balanced power I expect I will be hosting the odd mini-Owsten, so I'm sure you will get a chance to hear it.

Marco

The Modwright mods all relate to the output stage; Dan reckons the input stages couldn't be significantly improved upon and that the clock is a very good one. The result is that seen as a transport its at least as good as top quality disc spinner. As previously stated I actually think the Modwright mods turn it into a very high DAC as well. Those AKM 4396 chips are clearly pretty damn good.

Audiocom AV
25-09-2009, 17:58
Could you give me more details of your reference modified Transporter, in terms of cost and a list of the actual modifications that have been carried out to the unit?

Hi Marco

Very well now, but have had a few weeks under the weather on/off.

As requested I have posted the reference upgrades for the SB Transporter in 'Digital Impression'.

Ali Tait
25-09-2009, 18:48
I'll look forward to that Ian. :)

iansr
26-09-2009, 21:01
Now sold