PDA

View Full Version : Raspberry Pi2/ IQAudio Pi-DAC+ File based audio player - coming soon.

Gazjam
26-03-2015, 14:19
Fresh on the heels of Marco's digital epiphany, I'll be offering a build service to AOS users, in a similar way I do for my Jriver/ Windows based servers.

As with a lot of these things there's many ways to skin a cat, and there'll be ongoing development from me into what features/tweaks are around the corner, doing a lot of listening to see which sounds better.

Not everyone wants to build and configure the system, so I'm offering a build and configure service.
All I'll be asking is a build fee, which will be very reasonable, and which I think is a fair way to go about it.

Post on this thread when I have more details.

Thanks.
Gary.

Getgaff
26-03-2015, 17:29
Sounds promising :)

Darren
26-03-2015, 17:49
Yes please Gary. I am interested in this. The old Wadia CD player I use at home is becoming perhaps a little tired and I would love to replace it with something modern and compact that will drive my Roksan monoblocks directly. Though, I would much prefer it was controlled from an Android app than a laptop. If it was in a black case, that would be nice too.

I will PM my email address.

brian2957
26-03-2015, 18:26
Ooooh :) If these sound half as good as the server you made me :D I may have to look into this buddy :eyebrows:

struth
29-03-2015, 18:18
Got any built yet Gary?

British high fidelity
30-03-2015, 00:52
I want one please, let me know cost etc and available specs l, cheers

Gazjam
30-03-2015, 07:33
Not yet Grant, looking into options.
Had a few PMs asking about builds, will post here with information.

Need to hear one for myself first. :)

The Barbarian
30-03-2015, 08:47
Do you think this Fruity Tooty FAD would be happening if it were not so cheap? :D

Gazjam
30-03-2015, 09:05
Don't think it would be Andre if I was honest.
Gotta be a good thing though, power to the people and all that. :)

Of course, being cheaper and actually *working* could bring expectation bias into it?

Marco
30-03-2015, 09:06
It's not a fad. It's popular because it deserves to be popular - and its popularity is only destined to grow, simply because it's very good indeed. I know it's not your thing, and that's fine, but others are different.

In terms of your question, I can't speak for others, but in terms of its sonic performance, I'd gladly pay at least 2k for it :)

Marco.

Gazjam
30-03-2015, 09:06
Thanks Marco, nice mark up there... :mental: :)

Marco
30-03-2015, 10:20
I see it as a FAD as a do various other things. To Pay 2K for a piece of modern mass produced electronics? Your must be insaine ;)

Popularity will grow cos because of all the deaf ears driving it into peoples heads :eyebrows:. I can put money on it a dedicated bespoke PSU will follow before we know it :rolleyes:

Yes, Andre, you'll definitely be right about the PSU. I intend to do whatever I can to make the RPi as popular on AoS, as the Techy is! And for good reason, as stated before.

However, just because you wouldn't entertain using one (for your own justified reasons), which I respect, doesn't mean that others won't do differently, for their justified reasons, which I would also ask you to respect.

If you can't do that, dude, then please don't thread-crap, lest I have to remind you of the rules for the trade section of the forum (observing in particular what is written in paragraphs 3 and 4):

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?13935-***-WARNING-everyone-PLEASE-READ!!!-***

Cheers :cool:

Marco.

Marco
30-03-2015, 10:25
Thanks Marco, nice mark up there... :mental: :)

Lol - indeed. I'm of course talking purely in terms of its sonic performance. It would also have to be housed inside a really nice case, for that kind of money. Thing is, how much does a Linn Akurate DS cost? I've heard one, and the Pi/IQ-Audio DAC+ combination unquestionably murders it - and for buttons! 80, to be precise. It's laughable... :D

If that doesn't deserve jumping up and down and shouting about, then I don't know what does.

Marco.

RichB
30-03-2015, 21:51
There's a lot of overpriced streaming crap out there and plenty of bandwagon jumping. I'd say the Pi combo has every reason to be a success and if Gaz can help some of the more technophobic among us get to grips with it then why the hell not.

Good luck Gaz.

Marco
30-03-2015, 21:54
+100! Hear, hear.... :exactly:

Marco.

johnB
30-03-2015, 22:14
Agree...put me on the list please Gaz.

Andrei
24-05-2015, 21:48
Gaz, have you considered intel's NUC http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/overview.html
Some very interesting possibilities to say the least!