PDA

View Full Version : Paul Simon after The Rhythm of the Saints

The Black Adder
25-03-2015, 21:26
Hi..

It's been a long time since the said album but I would like to know your opinions on Paul's albums after this one and which is your favorite.

I really like Paul Simon. It was Graceland that really tuned me in to his solo stuff.

The Rhythm of the Saints is a great album too, the sheer talent of the backing band is second to none, great production too.

So, yeah... opinions please.

Thanks

struth
25-03-2015, 21:37
My favs are There Goes Rhymin' Simon 73, Hearts and Bones 83, Shining like a National Guitar 00, and The Essential Paul Simon 07.

Gordon Steadman
25-03-2015, 21:51
One of my favourite artists. Hearts and Bones is the one that I return to again and again but his first and Graceland also get regular plays. I quite like Rhythm of the Saints but thereafter he seems to me to have lost his mojo along with his voice. Surprise was described in the press as a return to form but I thought that apart from one track - Once upon a time there was an ocean - it was tragically weak. I only ever listen to that one track.

If you follow his output over the years, it was amazing that he maintained the level of quality that he managed. His early stuff, even that influenced by Dylan, shows a rare depth and maturity beyond his years. Now that I'm almost 68 - next week:eek: - I think of his line in Old Friends "how terribly strange to be 70" and wonder if it was his or someone else said it to him. It's very strange to be 68 let alone 70!! How did he know?

wiicrackpot
26-03-2015, 09:16
Graceland and Rhythm.....still remains my fave P.Simon, fast forward to 2006 ''Surprise'',
a collaboration with Brian Eno,totally different form the placid tone/samey controlled rhythms of his other offerings,
even if it doesn't catch you, repeat listen will bring you round to the new direction/soundscape which Eno offers.

DanJennings
28-03-2015, 09:48
I really like his 'You're The One' album.
Really moving songs, especially 'Darling Lorraine'