PDA

View Full Version : Doggy owners advice

Tarzan
25-03-2015, 09:23
Morning all, just wondering if any AOS dog owners give human medicine for minor injuries, rashes, vomiting, runny botty to our canine friends, as l have read some folk do and it is perfectly fine, thought l would ask the masses.:)

worrasf
25-03-2015, 10:02
Speaking as a doctor and dog owner in the vast majority of cases the drugs specifically prescribed by vets (at outrageously inflated prices) are exactly the same as the human equivilant but often lower concentrations.
The safe way is to find out what the vet woud prescribe/recommend for your dog's condition and then find the human equivilant.

Ali Tait
25-03-2015, 10:07
Yep, I give my dog anti histamines as he suffers a bit from hay fever, this was on the vet's advice.

struth
25-03-2015, 10:12
Speaking as a doctor and dog owner in the vast majority of cases the drugs specifically prescribed by vets (at outrageously inflated prices) are exactly the same as the human equivilant but often lower concentrations.
The safe way is to find out what the vet woud prescribe/recommend for your dog's condition and then find the human equivilant.

Agreed. in fact my sons vet said to do just that as what she had to charge was exorbatant as she said.

walpurgis
25-03-2015, 10:20
Be very careful. Some substances harmless to humans are lethal poisons to animals. Even some human foods can kill a pet. My recommendation is Don't Do It!

struth
25-03-2015, 10:33
Be very careful. Some substances harmless to humans are lethal poisons to animals. Even some human foods can kill a pet. My recommendation is Don't Do It!

yes well we did say find out what a vet would prescribe first.

Desmo
25-03-2015, 10:36
One of my customers has a page on their website dedicated to alerting you to potential poisons for animals:

http://vpisglobal.com/common-poisons/

Quite enlightening.

Audio Al
25-03-2015, 11:12
You could try him on a Ortofon Cadenza Black , He will love it :D