PDA

View Full Version : Sony PS 212 DD Turntable.....

dantheman91
24-03-2015, 16:02
Hi Guys

Recently got hold of one of these but its got speed issues too slow on 45 and just about holds pace at 33. Any thoughts on what i can do to get it running or is it for the skip.:(

Thanks
Dan

Firebottle
24-03-2015, 17:59
There will probably be a couple of adjustments for the speed setting on the DD electronics board.
Usually a smallish variable resistor, one for 33 and one for 45.

:) Alan

Beobloke
25-03-2015, 13:03
^^^ What Alan said. ^^^

Documentation here: http://www.vinylengine.com/library/sony/ps-212.shtml

dantheman91
25-03-2015, 18:23
Hi Guys

Is this something i can do or is it too technical.....:scratch: if its the pitch on the front have tried that doesn't make much difference their again i dont know what i'm doing.

Sorry not technical with stuff like this.......will give it a try if its worth doing bit of a numpty.

Thanks
Dan

walpurgis
25-03-2015, 18:45
No, the two pitch controls on the front are your final trims. They should be set at their central position before adjusting the trimmers inside. there may be mains voltage parts exposed inside, so you need to have a basic idea of safety and take care. The trimmers will probably be on the main circuit board somewhere. They will be fairly small and probably look something like this:

http://i58.tinypic.com/9k43o6.jpg

The separate trimmers may or may not be marked to show which speed they govern, you may need to experiment. Whilst the turntable is working, select each speed and adjust the appropriate trimmer back and forth using an insulated screwdriver, until the strobe shows you are at correct rotational speed.

Beobloke
26-03-2015, 09:48
Looking at the circuit diagram in the service information I linked to earlier there are individual trimpots in the circuit for 33 and 45rpm as well as the front panel pitch control.

The service manual isn't the full one so their location isn't specified but 9 times out of 10, they're under the platter.As Geoff says, set the front panel pitch control to its centre position and give the trimmers a tweak to see if they bring the two speeds into line.

Incidentally, you say the speed is wrong but is it steady? The reason I ask is that this model uses Sony's speed control method of a barium ferrite coating on the edge of the platter which is read by what is effectively a tape head. If this coating is damaged then the speed will not stay steady and, unfortunately, there is no cure. For the same reason, if you ever take the platter off the deck, do so VERY carefully and keep it sat on something soft whilst it's off.

dantheman91
09-05-2015, 13:07
I have found the alternaters under the TT. Which is the best approach to getting the correct speed any thoughts. Will send it off to be looked at otherwise. :)