PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with battery choice for Temple Pre Amp.

Dauntless
23-03-2015, 11:04
I have a Temple Audio XC3 Pre Amp and I am looking to try it with a 12v rechargeable battery. Some folk run Dacs and Pre's from batteries I know and I am looking for some guidance as to what type and AH rating I would need to run this Pre. I will be looking to hide these batteries on my rack so they will have to be less than 10cm high. I have looked around and some lead acid like the Yusasa Y2. 1-12 might be ok and also some Lithium types which have the advantage of being smaller but more expensive. Also I am told by John @ Temple that two batteries will be needed. Any advice welcome!

walpurgis
23-03-2015, 11:29
I don't know what spec battery you'd need Michael, but I buy mine for Hi-Fi use from Screwfix. They have a wide range of sealed lead acid gel batteries at sensible prices.

Firebottle
23-03-2015, 13:30
Looks like you will have to take John @ Temple's advice as there doesn't seem to be any info for external battery operation.
It will almost certainly be a twin rail power arrangement, i.e. a positive and negative voltage of the same value. 12V would of course be advantageous for using lead acid batteries.

See if you can find more info and then there will be plenty of help on here. Internal photos of the pre welcome :)

:cool: Alan

pitadavespa
23-03-2015, 14:12
I have a Temple Audio XC3 Pre Amp and I am looking to try it with a 12v rechargeable battery. Some folk run Dacs and Pre's from batteries I know and I am looking for some guidance as to what type and AH rating I would need to run this Pre. I will be looking to hide these batteries on my rack so they will have to be less than 10cm high. I have looked around and some lead acid like the Yusasa Y2. 1-12 might be ok and also some Lithium types which have the advantage of being smaller but more expensive. Also I am told by John @ Temple that two batteries will be needed. Any advice welcome!

Finally a person that has the XC3!

I have the monoblocks. They are tiny but they deliver what I call a clean, full and truthful sound.
I took a while to fully tune them to match the passive preamp I'm using and my (maybe a bit low for a passive) 86dB sensitivity speakers. But, once I managed to do that, I realize they really sing! Love them!

During this "process", I thought about a XC3, because I believe it is a quality product also, but I couldn't find anyone with one to give an opinion.
Are you happy with yours?
Are you using it with the monoblocks?

I'm in the process of selling mine, since I have too much gear and (unfortunately) some has to go.
I'm not sure if this is the right move, though... :rolleyes:

--

Regarding your question, I'm not sure if the XC3 is suitable to work with a battery, because, working in class A, it requires (comparably) big amounts of current. I'm not sure how much, to be honest.
I'd say you would be better (safer) with a big car battery.

Regards,
Luis

Dauntless
23-03-2015, 17:30
Hi Pitadaespa, Yes I have the XC3 Pre. I think it is a very good pre, especially for the money Temple ask but of course because it is a direct buy it is free of 'hi-fi tax.' It is of course an active pre with a gain of 2. The main disadvantage is it is a one in one out unit. This doesn't matter to me as I have only CD and digital radio which is patched into my Dac. I thought myself of the Temple mono blocs but felt I wouldn't be able to drive my speakers with 30 watts or so.

pitadavespa
23-03-2015, 18:24
Hi Pitadaespa, Yes I have the XC3 Pre. I think it is a very good pre, especially for the money Temple ask but of course because it is a direct buy it is free of 'hi-fi tax.' It is of course an active pre with a gain of 2. The main disadvantage is it is a one in one out unit. This doesn't matter to me as I have only CD and digital radio which is patched into my Dac. I thought myself of the Temple mono blocs but felt I wouldn't be able to drive my speakers with 30 watts or so.

Hi Michael,

I don't know what your speakers are, but I doubt they can't drive them well.
These monoblocks can drive loads as low as 2 ohm.

Regarding the XC3, does it get hot?