PDA

View Full Version : what should i be looking for

Bbdave
23-03-2015, 07:22
I have been advised to post here from the welcome thread. Just to recap my dad bought me these down at the weekend his old gear from the garage one of the channels is broken in the amp the rest works so what do i need to get a small system working so i can keep an eye out? i am new to this kind of gear so need it simple.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/bbdave/Mobile%20Uploads/20150321_101352_zps8oqx8hgc.jpg (http://s127.photobucket.com/user/bbdave/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150321_101352_zps8oqx8hgc.jpg.html)

Dave

Spectral Morn
23-03-2015, 08:35
First thing I would do is get all the items serviced, this might be relatively cheap but with items sitting awhile and quiet old, dry solder joints, capacitors and resistors going off value (maybe about to fail), dirty pots etc the work required to bring these up to 100% performance and functionality may be more extensive and cost a bit, but it's worth doing.

Regards Neil

walpurgis
23-03-2015, 09:48
Hi Dave.

You need to have some idea of a budget to work to to assemble a system around the items you have there. It looks as though you will require a cartridge to mount in the SME arm and a turntable to mount the arm on. Then as has been mentioned, the Quad amplifiers should be serviced. Suitable speakers should not be difficult to find.

It is worth going about all this properly as you have the basis of a very nice system there. Look out for a turntable with an SME arm mounting cut-out already made, it will save you some bother.

There are AOS members in Devon who may be able to assist.

eBay is a good source for items. When you are ready, post questions here about any potential purchases and you'll get advice.

mooblie
23-03-2015, 10:38
If you're at all capable/confident with a soldering iron (or know someone you trust who is), you could refurbish the 33 and 303 yourself from kits, from someone like the embarrassingly-named Dada Electronics:

http://www.dadaelectronics.eu/shop/quad-upgrade-kits

I have used a couple of Quad 405 upgrade kits of theirs - fantastic documentation support from their website and email support from their staff, if you get into difficulties.

Bbdave
23-03-2015, 18:10
Hi Dave.

You need to have some idea of a budget to work to to assemble a system around the items you have there. It looks as though you will require a cartridge to mount in the SME arm and a turntable to mount the arm on. Then as has been mentioned, the Quad amplifiers should be serviced. Suitable speakers should not be difficult to find.

It is worth going about all this properly as you have the basis of a very nice system there. Look out for a turntable with an SME arm mounting cut-out already made, it will save you some bother.

There are AOS members in Devon who may be able to assist.

eBay is a good source for items. When you are ready, post questions here about any potential purchases and you'll get advice.

Which part is the cartridge is it the part that holds the stylus? If so that is fitted to the arm.
I think I'll get everything serviced/repaired are there any recommendations where I should get this done?

Dave

walpurgis
23-03-2015, 18:23
Which part is the cartridge is it the part that holds the stylus? If so that is fitted to the arm.
I think I'll get everything serviced/repaired are there any recommendations where I should get this done?

Dave

Yes the cartridge is the part that holds the stylus. Be very careful with it, they are extremely fragile and you'll need to read up on how to set it up. What cartridge is it by the way? There are thousands of different types, most OK, but some can be rubbish and others marvellous.

Take a look here (and of course ask us if need be): http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm

Other members may have suggestions for Quad repairs. I don't use Quad myself. There may even be somebody here who can do the servicing for you.

The Barbarian
23-03-2015, 18:54
If your dad brought them you down then surely your dad knows whats what!

shane
23-03-2015, 21:29
Have a word with Mike Simmonds at Gulliford HI-fi in Sidwell St, Exeter. He'll know someone who can service it for you.

rdpx
24-03-2015, 16:08
I'm wondering about the SME arm... Do actually you have any vinyl? If not, how do you have music.... Cds, digital files? If you don't have vinyl it might be worth just selling the arm, here or on eBay, and spending the cash on a cd player, or the servicing, or whatever. If you have vinyl, or want to start, then of course ignore this!! Robert

mikmas
24-03-2015, 17:32
I think I'll get everything serviced/repaired are there any recommendations where I should get this done?Dave

Quad are quite helpful about servicing and not too dear considering - give em a ring to check these details are still current (I think the phone number is OK - I'm sure I've rung them on it...)

-----------------
Please return your Quad 33 and 303 to the address below with a covering letter by carrier or hand. We will Quad factory service to full working specification. Our charges are labour fixed at 48GBP per unit, plus defective parts replaced, plus VAT and return carriage.

Opening hours: 7.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Thursday and 7.30am to 3.30pm on Friday.

Address: IAG Service department, Unit 4, St Margaret’s Way, Stukeley Meadows Industrial Estate, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE29 6EB.

Tel number: + 44 (0)1480 452561

Fax number: +44 (0)1480 413403

------------------

Bbdave
24-03-2015, 20:11
Thanks chaps some useful info. I'll let you know how I get on.

Dave

The Barbarian
24-03-2015, 21:18
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/bbdave/Mobile%20Uploads/20150321_101352_zps8oqx8hgc.jpg (http://s127.photobucket.com/user/bbdave/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150321_101352_zps8oqx8hgc.jpg.html)

Dave
are the feet missing from the '33'/'FM-3' because the '303' should be around 3/4" lower by the side of those two?

Bbdave
24-03-2015, 21:41
Yes they both have threaded holes in the bottom I guess for feet they look to be m4 threads.
The cartridge is an audio technica.

Do turntables have a standard cut out for the tone arm or do you cut your own to suit? What are good makes I should be looking for?

Dave

The Barbarian
24-03-2015, 22:53
They are not metric threads they are 4BA thread..If the feet are missing your dad has more than likley had the '33'/'FM-3' mounted on a board fitted into a sideboard/Stereo gram unit..

Pick-Up arm mounting cut out & distance all depends on which arm you use. SME have their own cut out pattern.. There should be a mounting template in the Pick-Up arm box. Try use the SME '3009' They are desirable arm you know..

walpurgis
24-03-2015, 23:12
They are not metric threads they are 4BA thread..If the feet are missing your dad has more than likley had the '33'/'FM-3' mounted on a board fitted into a sideboard/Stereo gram unit..

Pick-Up arm mounting cut out & distance all depends on which arm you use. SME have their own cut out pattern.. There should be a mounting template in the Pick-Up arm box. Try use the SME '3009' They are desirable arm you know..

Good advice :thumbsup:.

struth
24-03-2015, 23:20
Ah, BA nuts... that takes me back.. they were used extensively in tvs especially thorn and rank ... Used to have a full set of wood handled drivers.....wonder what happened to them. they are only used very occasionally now.

walpurgis
24-03-2015, 23:25
Still got all my BA taps & dies and nuts & bolts. Just in case!

Bbdave
25-03-2015, 07:14
I still use ba now and then on old conduit work etc. i do remember dads gear in a gloss white and orange cabinet.
Im guessing if i buy a turntable with a different arm would need to Dr it to fit this one i would like to use his stuff if i can. i will probably make a cabinet for it. Im visiting him next month so I'll hunt for the turntable.

Dave

The Barbarian
25-03-2015, 15:10
Just let us know what decks you may fancy we can then advise you..

Those hard plastic Quad 3 series feet are no longer available & a substitute is tricky because the units metal sleeves have a mound pressed into them that the foot sits on & bolts to. They do come up on auction sometimes tho..