PDA

View Full Version : Avid Mirrored Cartridge Alignment Tool for Rega Tone Arms

Sondekker
22-03-2015, 22:58
This is an excellent 2-point protractor manufactured by Avid specifically for aligning a cartridge in a Rega tone arm.

The following information is lifted directly off the web:-

''The mirrored surface makes all measurements easier and more accurate. The mirror's parallax effect allows the elimination of sighting errors, and provides better lighting, critical in making fine adjustments on small parts. The two null points on the alignment tool are surrounded by concentric squares instead of a grid, so that the user will be measuring the cartridge body's lineup against parallel lines at each edge.

Finally, the horizontal sight-line, which is to be pointed at the pivot point of the tonearm when measuring alignment in the outer grid, ensures correct overhang length on any tonearm, irrespective of its effective length. There is an inverse relationship between the effective length of the tonearm and the optimal offset angle of the headshell.

Regardless of effective length, the two "null points," at which the stylus should be perfectly tangent to the groove, are the same. A properly designed and mounted tonearm will allow the cartridge to line up properly in both grids.''

Apologies for the poor quality of the attached photo, the mirrored surface makes it very difficult to photograph.

£18 including UK delivery.

struth
22-03-2015, 23:09
http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14236&d=1427065082

Thats a good price. these are quite nice and I considered one myself when I had a rega arm.

mikeyb
23-03-2015, 11:00
Hi,

Suitable for use on a Gyrodec with Tonearm A (which is rega based)?

Thanks,

Mike.

Jason P
23-03-2015, 14:53
Yes please John, YGPM.

Jason

Sondekker
23-03-2015, 15:29
As a relative newcomer to AoS and desperately keen not to get off to a bad start by upsetting anyone I feel I might need a bit of help here....

Mikeyb was first to ask whether this protractor would be suitable for use with a Tecnoarm A and having checked his tone arm specs I can confirm that the effective length and overhang measurements are exactly the same as for a Rega tone arm, so the protractor would be perfect for him.

However, Jason has subsequently made a firm offer before I got chance to answer Mikeyb.

What should I do??

Advice please.

struth
23-03-2015, 15:58
Mike asked a question but didnt actually ask to take it Jason did. so id say Jason was first but i guess it could be looked at differently by others

Jason P
23-03-2015, 16:17
I'm happy to let Mikey B have it... it was a 'that'll be nice' rather than a 'must have'...

Sondekker
23-03-2015, 17:00
Grant,

Thanks for your observation which makes sense.

Jason,

Thank you for clarifying your own position which does make things much easier for me. I will give mikeyb first refusal and should he decide he isn't actually interested I will get back to you.

Cheers guys.

John

mikeyb
23-03-2015, 17:47
Hi,

Jason I'm more than happy for you to have it.

Your gesture of letting me have first refusal was very generous though.

Mike.

struth
23-03-2015, 18:00
:doh: 2 gentlemen:clapclapclap: ......one of you buy it :eyebrows:

karma67
23-03-2015, 18:02
who ever buys it,its a good alignment protractor,ive got one and it makes lining up the cantilever very easy and accurate

Sondekker
26-03-2015, 14:38
This protractor has now been sold and is on its way to Jason P.

Thanks to Jason and those that offered comments and advice.

John