PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Devon

Bbdave
22-03-2015, 11:23
Hi I'm Dave I recently visited a shop in Totnes which sells the more mature hifi equipment and I was amazed how rich and warm the sound was my parents always played records but having listened to CDs iPods etc. for years I had forgotten what they should sound like.
I mentioned this to my dad during a phone call and on visiting this weekend he gave me his old gear that's been in his garage for years so I'm going hopefully use it to set up a system so lots of dumb questions to ask and advice needed.

My music taste are very varied from Wagner to modern and all kinds of genre folk, blues,rock and roll

The amp he tells me has a channel not working is this repairable? Fingers crossed a couple of pictures should be next.

struth
22-03-2015, 11:32
Welcome David. I hope you enjoy the forum. to answer your question re the quad gear which is great equipment, yes its easily fixable and will be worth it. get it serviced as well and it will give you years of pleasure.
I would open a thread in blank canvas and plenty help will arrive as to what to get done and probably where too.

regards grant

walpurgis
22-03-2015, 12:09
Hello Dave. Welcome to AOS.

Your Quad gear is well worth getting up and running and should not be a big problem to sort out.

What will the rest of your system be? i.e., speakers and sources etc.

I'm sure our members can get you organised with a decent sounding vintage system. Just look around the site and you'll find areas dedicated to just about every Hi-Fi topic and you can post your questions there. if you're not sure which area to use, just bung questions into the Blank Canvas section and you'll get some answers.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

awkwardbydesign
22-03-2015, 12:31
Hi Dave,
That's pretty good equipment, especially if it's free!
And whereabouts in Devon are you? There are several of us in the Plymouth area.

shane
22-03-2015, 13:15
Hi Dave and welcome. I'm intrigued by your Totnes Hi-fi shop. Whereabouts is it? We regularly shop in Totnes but I can't remember having seen one there. Mind you, we rarely stray far from the high street.

Bbdave
22-03-2015, 15:53
Thanks I'm in Cockwood on the Exe estuary , the shop I visited was up the hill in Totnes around the arch it sold quite a lot of retro. Gear.

I have read a few threads on here but to be honest a lot of the lingo is alien to me so I'm not sure yet what I require or need but hopefully I'll learn as I go.

Dave

shane
23-03-2015, 14:43
Paid a quick visit to Totnes this morning and found this;

http://narniatotnes.co.uk/

Some interesting bits and pieces in the window, and a glimpse of a GL75 inside, but since Totnes doesn't wake up until about 10:00 I had to pass by.

Only in Totnes would you find a new business called Narnia!

Presumably your Dad must have had a turntable and a pair of speakers. What happened to them?

Eagle owl
23-03-2015, 16:25
Hello and welcome Dave.

Geoff. :wave:

Bbdave
24-03-2015, 21:25
Paid a quick visit to Totnes this morning and found this;

http://narniatotnes.co.uk/

Some interesting bits and pieces in the window, and a glimpse of a GL75 inside, but since Totnes doesn't wake up until about 10:00 I had to pass by.

Only in Totnes would you find a new business called Narnia!

Presumably your Dad must have had a turntable and a pair of speakers. What happened to them?

He seems to have mislayed it unfortunately so I think I'll have to look for one the speakers I think went years ago, where is the best place to look for a turntable online?

Dave

hifinutt
26-03-2015, 20:01
nice one , I must look out for it next time I am in totnes

Barry
01-05-2015, 17:55
Welcome to AoS Dave.

Free Quad Series 3 electronics and an SME arm! :eek: Lucky man! :)

The Quad can be easily fixed, but we need to know if the fault lies with the Quad 33 preamp or the Quad 303 power amplifier.

Any questions you have, just ask - we have a lot of very knowlegable members here.

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
Barry (Quad and SME lover)