PDA

View Full Version : Wish You Were Here, or not

Haselsh1
20-03-2015, 11:30
OK, so I bought an ‘official’ re-issue of Pink Floyd’s album ‘Wish You Were Here’ and my findings were that the sound quality is truly dreadful. The sound is flat, lifeless and dull and the treble is virtually non-existent. I was deeply pissed off with this as I never remembered the original sounding this bad.
So, I went to a local Sunday CD and record fair and low and behold, found a brand new copy of the same album but with a misty yellow vinyl and white plain labels. I paid fifteen quid and took it home. The sound quality is bloody amazing and just so much better than the ‘official’ recording. Since then I have acquired a brand new purple vinyl copy of the same album and the sound quality was also truly spot on.
I do not know what is going on with this album and its versions but I for one prefer the ‘unofficial’ versions with a really good overall sound.

Jimbo
20-03-2015, 12:32
OK, so I bought an ‘official’ re-issue of Pink Floyd’s album ‘Wish You Were Here’ and my findings were that the sound quality is truly dreadful. The sound is flat, lifeless and dull and the treble is virtually non-existent. I was deeply pissed off with this as I never remembered the original sounding this bad.
So, I went to a local Sunday CD and record fair and low and behold, found a brand new copy of the same album but with a misty yellow vinyl and white plain labels. I paid fifteen quid and took it home. The sound quality is bloody amazing and just so much better than the ‘official’ recording. Since then I have acquired a brand new purple vinyl copy of the same album and the sound quality was also truly spot on.
I do not know what is going on with this album and its versions but I for one prefer the ‘unofficial’ versions with a really good overall sound.

Hi Shaun,

same happened to me with DSOTM so definitely will not be buying official copy of 'Wish You Were Here'.

It sounded like it had all the life bleached out of it

orbscure
20-03-2015, 13:07
Not good... I have unplayed 180g reissues DSOTM and WYWH sat ready to play once my LP12 returns from a service on Monday... my issue with trying to get hold of the older vinyl is the **** poor grading sellers use, but we've all experienced that...

Jimbo
20-03-2015, 13:13
Not good... I have unplayed 180g reissues DSOTM and WYWH sat ready to play once my LP12 returns from a service on Monday... my issue with trying to get hold of the older vinyl is the **** poor grading sellers use, but we've all experienced that...

you may be disappointed - DSOTM sounded like it was the Billionth pressing from a worn out stamper!

Haselsh1
20-03-2015, 16:51
you may be disappointed - DSOTM sounded like it was the Billionth pressing from a worn out stamper!

That is the perfect description of my copy of Wish You Were Here.

The Barbarian
20-03-2015, 21:11
I have a new Re-Isshew of dat. Bought it when it came out but never played it..

Jimbo
20-03-2015, 21:17
Wish i had never got rid of my original copy of Wish You Were Here 30 years ago! Damm!!:doh:

walpurgis
20-03-2015, 21:21
I've got a brand new, old Hi-Fi For Pleasure super quality pressing issue, still in its cling film wrap and unopened. Along with my near mint original release copy.

Jimbo
20-03-2015, 21:25
I've got a brand new, old Hi-Fi For Pleasure super quality pressing issue, still in its cling film wrap and unopened. Along with my near mint original release copy.

Dont torture me!:)

Haselsh1
22-03-2015, 11:03
I should have a brand new Croft Micro 25 Basic arriving on Tuesday so I am looking forward to checking out the phono stage alongside my Pro-Ject with a few black discs of Pink Floyd. I am guessing that the Pro-Ject will be better but I could well be wrong on many levels. I had a Basic back in 2009 and wasn't so impressed with its phono stage then but as a line level preamp I thought it was truly stunning for what was then 350 quid. I have been informed by a very reliable source that Glenn Croft is no longer making the Micro 25 Basic so I may have been extremely lucky to get this last one. Time will tell I guess. I just know that by using a phono preamp I am removing one set of cables from the equation and that has to be a good thing. Here's seriously hoping that Pink Floyd sounds amazing from now on into the future.

Jimbo
22-03-2015, 11:16
I should have a brand new Croft Micro 25 Basic arriving on Tuesday so I am looking forward to checking out the phono stage alongside my Pro-Ject with a few black discs of Pink Floyd. I am guessing that the Pro-Ject will be better but I could well be wrong on many levels. I had a Basic back in 2009 and wasn't so impressed with its phono stage then but as a line level preamp I thought it was truly stunning for what was then 350 quid. I have been informed by a very reliable source that Glenn Croft is no longer making the Micro 25 Basic so I may have been extremely lucky to get this last one. Time will tell I guess. I just know that by using a phono preamp I am removing one set of cables from the equation and that has to be a good thing. Here's seriously hoping that Pink Floyd sounds amazing from now on into the future.

If you have JJ valves in the phono stage you might want to change them, many NOS valves make a dramatic difference.

Best i have heard are the NOS ECC83 Tesla,s form the original Tesla factory. Mullard also good. I think the phono stage goes through the line stage so you may want to change this valve swell. I can assure you it will be worth it, the difference is sometimes amazing!

The Barbarian
22-03-2015, 13:21

Shaun
I gave that new 'WYWH' a spin this morning, in no way do i hear what your hearing!

Haselsh1
22-03-2015, 16:24
Shaun
I gave that new 'WYWH' a spin this morning, in no way do i hear what your hearing!

That is really strange Andre as mine is the latest re-issue and it is flat, woolly and drab with very little treble. The non official ones I have sound fantastic. I cannot offer an explanation with things as they are because it has to be the recording. It is way too late to take it back so I guess I am left with a very expensive plant pot.

Haselsh1
22-03-2015, 16:26
My intention is to fit Gold Lion gold pinned valves to the Croft as I have used them in the past and they are stunning. I shall replace all three with these but I expect it to cost around a ton.

orbscure
22-03-2015, 16:27
I'll see how my unplayed 180g WYWH plays on my LP12 when it arrives back from its service tomorrow...

Haselsh1
22-03-2015, 16:29
I'll see how my unplayed 180g WYWH plays on my LP12 when it arrives back from its service tomorrow...

Cheers, it'll be interesting to see if anyone else has the same problem.

The Barbarian
22-03-2015, 17:15
Shaun:
It is the latest Re-Issue there's no flat, woolly and drab with very little treble.. I still hate the LP

orbscure
23-03-2015, 19:40
That is really strange Andre as mine is the latest re-issue and it is flat, woolly and drab with very little treble

I don't have the luxury of being able to compare the new 180g WYWH with older pressings, but sound quality wise, I have to agree with your description Shaun.

As an aside, I'm just playing the 180g Brothers in Arms re-issue and that, sound wise, is in another league compared to both... its simply awesome!

The Barbarian
23-03-2015, 20:38
My crap stereo must be ace afterall :D

Haselsh1
25-03-2015, 15:58
The vinyl albums I am referring to here are the 180g reissues that were recently issued. I have no problem with TDSOTM but WYWH is truly bloody awful. I have no problem with other albums I have recently bought either. Rick Wakeman's new 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' is stunning as is Damon Albarn's 'Everyday Robots'.

orbscure
25-03-2015, 20:27
I've ordered a 1975 vintage WYWH where the seller has graded the vinyl as EX... so it'll be interesting to see what difference there is....

Chalkie
25-03-2015, 20:39
looks like a few lost soles swimming in a sound quailty fishbowl :lol:

rereleased year after year,;)

The Barbarian
25-03-2015, 22:31
We're just knocked out...We heard about this cop out...You gotta get this reissue out, You owe it to the people.

We're so unhappy we can hardly count. :D