PDA

View Full Version : threads getting moved??

karma67
17-03-2015, 17:43
why does a thread relating to restoring a thorens turntable get moved from analogue art to diy and threads about restoring speakers stay in past masters,are they not diy too??
there not mine but it does make me wonder.
thanks.
j.

struth
17-03-2015, 19:49
Moderators have instructions to move threads to appropriate sections Jamie. A make it or restoration thread mostly goes in the drawing board. The thorens turned into a restoration thread so was move by me.

Marco
17-03-2015, 20:04
Hi Jamie,

why does a thread relating to restoring a thorens turntable get moved from analogue art to diy and threads about restoring speakers stay in past masters,are they not diy too??
there not mine but it does make me wonder.
thanks.
j.

Good question. The answer is twofold:

1) threads are moved by admin and mods to where they are considered to be *most* relevant, in terms of subject matter (that is, if they haven’t already been posted there by the OP), and
2) thread topics that could arguably be posted in more than one area of the forum, are often placed in a relevant section of the forum that isn’t used as much, in order to keep that section active.

For example, if the discussion topic is about restoring vintage speakers, then technically that should go into the DIY room, as it’s essentially a DIY topic, *but* if Past Masters is considered to be a bit quiet, and needs some more activity, then the discussion will remain there, or if not there already, be put there instead of the DIY room.

Essentially, it’s about ensuring that every section of the forum is kept active and contains recent posts.

Hope that makes sense :)

Marco.

karma67
17-03-2015, 20:16
yep cool,so for example i will be making and veneering a new plinth for my turntable soon,when done i should post it in the drawing room yes? and not analogue art.
cheers.
j.

struth
17-03-2015, 20:32
yep cool,so for example i will be making and veneering a new plinth for my turntable soon,when done i should post it in the drawing room yes? and not analogue art.
cheers.
j.

Yes in the Drawing room. :)

karma67
17-03-2015, 20:35
cheers :)

struth
17-03-2015, 20:39
Then I'll move it somewhere:eek:

walpurgis
17-03-2015, 20:40
My inclination would be to suggest that any project, whether a new build, modification or renovation that requires 'hands on' works should go in the Drawing Board section.

As for Analogue Art for instance. The intalling of cartridges, cables and perhaps pickup arms, should maybe be the extent of turntable works, anything more involved is really renovation/modification/construction and could go elsewhere in my view.

However, the situation is too flexible for absolute demarcation criteria, so interpretations will no doubt vary.

Marco
17-03-2015, 20:48
cheers.
j.

Yup, because the key factor is the DIY element, rather than that the subject is turntable-related :)

Marco.

Marco
18-03-2015, 09:37
My inclination would be to suggest that any project, whether a new build, modification or renovation that requires 'hands on' works should go in the Drawing Board section.

As for Analogue Art for instance. The intalling of cartridges, cables and perhaps pickup arms, should maybe be the extent of turntable works, anything more involved is really renovation/modification/construction and could go elsewhere in my view.

Yes, Geoff, that’s pretty much it :)

Marco.