PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl cleaning

Stiffy
17-03-2015, 13:18
Not sure if this is in the correct place so Soz to the Mods if it's not.

What alternative products, if any work for cleaning vinyl?
I used to go through the farce of washing with a very mild detergent based solution then rinsing with de-ionised water.

I eventually got some branded record cleaning solution, I can't recall which make but it dawned on me that I also have a kit for cleaning LCD/Plasma TV screens. Is this likely to be of a similar make up to the vinyl cleaning solution becasue it's a lot cheaper to buy.

I don't want to risk damaging my records.

The Barbarian
17-03-2015, 13:25
Ive tried every method under the sun, Vaccuum cleaning is the way imho..

I use Paul Stewarts cleaner. a lot make their own but i can't be arsed tbh

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?33380-Rebirth-of-the-Cool

struth
17-03-2015, 14:04
yep pauls mix is superb. I make my own now but if your buying then Pauls is the one. +1 on an rcm. nothing to beat them and if serious about vinyl and have a lot then its a major upgrade. if you dont have many then you can send them away to get done. there is a thread in trade section offering such a service.

Ali Tait
17-03-2015, 19:21
+1 for Paul's mix, easily the best I've tried.

skimminstones
17-03-2015, 20:59
are those knosti cleaner things on ebay any good?

Ali Tait
17-03-2015, 21:04
Get one of these-

http://maquinaphk.xpg.uol.com.br/models.html

Looks like a bag of s**te, but cleans as well as any other vacuum cleaner at a far cheaper price.

Gordon Steadman
17-03-2015, 21:38
are those knosti cleaner things on ebay any good?
No.

The Barbarian
17-03-2015, 21:54
Make your own machine. You could mod one of these for the suction section..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VPI-HW-16-to-HW-16-5-Upgrade-kit-/291257091175?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43d0468467

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-AUTO-DRY-WET-VACUUM-CLEANER-CAR-CARPET-BOAT-BOOT-HOOVER-INFLATING-AIR-PUMP-/201120990119?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ed3bec3a7

carruthersesq
17-03-2015, 22:32
Get one of these-

http://maquinaphk.xpg.uol.com.br/models.html

Looks like a bag of s**te, but cleans as well as any other vacuum cleaner at a far cheaper price.

+1 for these.

allthingsanalogue
17-03-2015, 23:45
I use a knosti machine but make my own cleaning solution and replace it after every 15 records.

I use De-ionised water and 4 to 5 drops of dishwasher rinse aid. They come out spotless in every way and not one speck of muck on the stylus.

Stiffy
18-03-2015, 09:38
I use a knosti machine but make my own cleaning solution and replace it after every 15 records.

I use De-ionised water and 4 to 5 drops of dishwasher rinse aid. They come out spotless in every way and not one speck of muck on the stylus.

Might have a go with this suggestion.

The Black Adder
18-03-2015, 09:52
+1 for these.

I'm sure I have one of those in my airing cupboard... l:)l

Looks mental... one thing, does it have pads on the vacuum hoses though?

allthingsanalogue
18-03-2015, 10:02
Might have a go with this suggestion.

I don't think the knosti cleaner is at fault but the original chemical that came with it. Even after cleaning with brand new fluid it was impossible to play even one song without the stylus getting completely covered in crud but with the cheap and cheerful solution I have mentioned they really are super clean, even cleaning some really filthy s/h Lp's. I can tell no difference to this method compared to using a Moth RCM MkII that a good friend of mine has.

Just make sure you leave them to dry properly and only use 4-5 drops of rinse aid, a little goes a long way. I believe that the rinse aid (wetting agent) helps the water gets into the bottom of the grooves as it make the water thinner.

I once heard if you put wetting agent in water and then pour it into an upside down umbrella the water will actually go through the umbrella material.

Gordon Steadman
18-03-2015, 11:15
I don't think the knosti cleaner is at fault but the original chemical that came with it. Even after cleaning with brand new fluid it was impossible to play even one song without the stylus getting completely covered in crud but with the cheap and cheerful solution I have mentioned they really are super clean, even cleaning some really filthy s/h Lp's. I can tell no difference to this method compared to using a Moth RCM MkII that a good friend of mine has.

Just make sure you leave them to dry properly and only use 4-5 drops of rinse aid, a little goes a long way. I believe that the rinse aid (wetting agent) helps the water gets into the bottom of the grooves as it make the water thinner.

In once heard if you put wetting agent in water and then pour it into an upside down umbrella the water will actually go through the umbrella material.

This seems likely to be the problem. When I used it, every time I went to play an LP afterwards, there was an obvious water mark, it sounded dull and the stylus did indeed gunge up. I chucked the machine in the bin.

struth
18-03-2015, 11:23
rinse aid breaks surface tension

carruthersesq
19-03-2015, 22:12

Yes they do.

struth
19-03-2015, 22:27
A good pre clean with an enzyme mix is often a good idea as well.

Ali Tait
20-03-2015, 05:45

They do. Wouldn't be much cop if they didn't! :-)

He even sends spares with them, pads and cleaning brushes for the other arm.