PDA

View Full Version : Headphone amp for AKG 701

Ned664
13-03-2015, 15:36
I have just purchased an Audio Analogue Puccini SE amp to replace my Pioneer A A6. My new amp has no headphone socket unlike the Pioneer. So I need a headphone amp for my AKG 701's. Any recommendations?

doodoos
13-03-2015, 18:49
NJC Audio . Used one myself when I had these headphones.

struth
13-03-2015, 19:18
Beresford Capella.
Used to have a AA puccini myself...great sounding amp

oscarsaudio
13-03-2015, 19:49
Worth looking at the Schitt range I use the Lyr one and have listened to the K701's through it .

ReggieB
13-03-2015, 23:54
I use a Ming Da MC-66 AE with my AKG 701, and am really pleased with the results.

http://www.mingda.co.uk/headphone_amp.html

StanleyB
14-03-2015, 07:52
The Capella was developed to bring the best out of headphones like the K701. I got a K701 myself and haven't heard any other headphone amp other than the Capella that can drive the K701 any better. I am up for a challenge if there is one about.

Ned664
14-03-2015, 08:45
The Capella was developed to bring the best out of headphones like the K701. I got a K701 myself and haven't heard any other headphone amp other than the Capella that can drive the K701 any better. I am up for a challenge if there is one about.
Thanks Stan, how much are they?

oscarsaudio
14-03-2015, 09:21
Hi Stan,

I'm going to a headphone meet in April would you be willing to lend one to me to take .I will pay postage both ways .Would be good to compare against different amps and try with a range of headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/748039/uk-2015-head-fi-meet-cambridge-saturday-25th-april

StanleyB
14-03-2015, 10:28
PM me so we can sort it out.

Anthony K
14-03-2015, 10:28
I use a Lehman black cube and found it was the best at that price point the Sugden was was sweeter

Ned664
14-03-2015, 10:31
Have just ordered a Capella which seems to have remarkable features for the money!

DSJR
14-03-2015, 11:01
I was also going to give a shout to the NJC, which looks to be beautifully made inside with top quality components. There's also headphone amps based on a small power amp design, rather than a chip output, and these would be better with some of the less sensitive headphones out there I think (the HD600's I once had were horrible on the end of a typical headphone outlet socket I remember).

StanleyB
14-03-2015, 11:33
I was also going to give a shout to the NJC, which looks to be beautifully made inside with top quality components. There's also headphone amps based on a small power amp design, rather than a chip output, and these would be better with some of the less sensitive headphones out there I think (the HD600's I once had were horrible on the end of a typical headphone outlet socket I remember).
Technology has moved on Dave. The HD600 and K701 are dead easy to drive with modern designs. The antiquated power amp designs can produce loads of wattage, but the K701 only needs 200mW for full power output. The rest of the power is just eye candy with its big heatsink and 100W mains transformer. It's also about bulking up the weight, as they do with meat by adding water. I don't have time for fleecing of my customers with those sort of things.

wiicrackpot
14-03-2015, 14:39
Technology has moved on Dave. The HD600 and K701 are dead easy to drive with modern designs. The antiquated power amp designs can produce loads of wattage, but the K701 only needs 200mW for full power output. The rest of the power is just eye candy with its big heatsink and 100W mains transformer. It's also about bulking up the weight, as they do with meat by adding water. I don't have time for fleecing of my customers with those sort of things.
Must applaud you for your honesty, flies against a lot of nonsense flying about.

tonerei
17-03-2015, 19:40
I had a Cayin Ha-1a and it worked a treat. Fantastic valve amp easily able to drive the K701's and plenty of tube rolling options.
Stanley is the dealer here but most people understand and accept the K701's are hard to drive. I have a Little dot now and it works well with the AKG's but just doesn't have the drive/grip/control soundstage etc that the more expensive amp had. In my experience in most applications a more powerful amp with heavy Traffo's work better be it speakers or headphones. Of course if you have horns or low impedance headphones things might be different

Ned664
28-03-2015, 00:06
Currently listing though my AKG 701's to bit of Queens of the Stone Age via Stans Beresford Capella, it's sounds blooming ace! Thanks Stan!

struth
28-03-2015, 00:09
Currently listing though my AKG 701's to bit of Queens of the Stone Age via Stans Beresford Capella, it's sounds blooming ace! Thanks Stan!

Its a darned good headamp

Ned664
28-03-2015, 00:19
Its a darned good headamp
+1

StanleyB
28-03-2015, 06:06
Stanley is the dealer here but most people understand and accept the K701's are hard to drive.
I am also aware that the K701 are hard to drive. Don't assume that I don't. I own a K701 after all.
I am also aware that the ridiculously low price of the Capella might give the impression that it is not in the same league as far more expensive headphone amps, and that it is not very powerful. That's my fault really for pricing it at not more than manufacturing cost plus a tiny profit. So my pricing structure could well be at fault here. Expensive headphone amps are selling well. The markups are healthy as well.

Floyddroid
28-03-2015, 06:35
Just got a capella and it's pretty darned good.
I am also aware that the K701 are hard to drive. Don't assume that I don't. I own a K701 after all.
I am also aware that the ridiculously low price of the Capella might give the impression that it is not in the same league as far more expensive headphone amps, and that it is not very powerful. That's my fault really for pricing it at not more than manufacturing cost plus a tiny profit. So my pricing structure could well be at fault here. Expensive headphone amps are selling well. The markups are healthy as well.

jon1
28-03-2015, 14:19

Stan dose charity come to mind?...Capella best purchase in the last few years..And the caiman mkll dac:eyebrows:

jon

mkrzych
09-04-2015, 11:34
So what is the conclusion here? K701 is 62 Ohm, so is it hard to drive them properly over the CMII for instance?