PDA

View Full Version : Untidy death-trap in North Wales

IslandPink
11-03-2015, 23:01
Following requests on my intro thread, I'll post a few pics ( low-res ) of the current audio system.
I'll start with the tidy part !
Analogue front end -
Denon 103R on Mayware Formula IV with some added ( lead ) headshell weight , mounted on Nottingham Analogue 'Hyperspace' , driven by Teres Audio 'Verus' rim-drive pod & power supply .
The Nottingham is a bit soft and slow ( despite the 13kG platter ! ) with the normal weak AC motor. With the substitution of the Verus it gains Garrard-like low bass and timing , retaining the strongly-toned midrange and treble of the standard turntable. A win-win situation... at a price ...14125

struth
11-03-2015, 23:07
Thats some size of a platter Mark...Very nice though

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14125&d=1426114872

southall-1998
12-03-2015, 00:12
That Nottingham is giving me the drooools!

S.

Ammonite Audio
12-03-2015, 06:50
The Nottingham decks sound lovely in many ways but don't exactly 'get down and boogie', which I put down to the low-torque drive philosophy. I'd love to hear this one with the Teres rim drive. Very nice.

IslandPink
12-03-2015, 20:43
The best I had before was a Garrard 401 in a home-made Maple plinth, with the Boston Audio graphite mat. This gave me a clue the Nottingham decks with the 'heavy' graphite-ceramic top sections might sound really nice. Also Garrards can sound very good in slate plinths. I assumed the Hyperspace platter would be enough to 'drive through' any stylus drag, but after a while I realised I was missing something on pace - but when the Verus came along and people were reporting huge gains in the low bass and timing, I went for it . Since then i've never wanted to look for anything else. It seems to keep up with the Garrards and SP10's in our meetings at Owston .
The other more cost-effective option ( the Verus was about £1500 a few years ago ) would be the pods Vic does, via Trans-Fi audio. It should be possible to get one of those to interface to this deck or with more bodging, to the Spacedeck .

DarrenHW
13-03-2015, 06:57
Great looking TT Mark :stalks:. Denon 103 on a Unipivot, I like the sound of that.

You mentioned using a Boston Audio Graphite Mat on a 401, could you tell me where you got it from, I can only find it discontinued. Whilst trying to find the mat I came across their TuneBlock's, I'm thinking they could be a worthwhile experiment in my plinth (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?36442-Slatedeck-(Garrard)-Armboard-Advice/page3) as you have experience with Garrard plinth's I'd value your input.

IslandPink
14-03-2015, 17:40
Power supply for main amp shown here. This is a shunt-regulated 460V supply based very closely on the 'T-Rex' amp power supply by Steve Bench and Dick Olsher.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0309/t_rex_set.htm
Mains transformer is by Danbury ; two big 10H chokes by Sowter . The shunt valve is a KT-88 . Having started with passive supplies using various combinations of chokes and capacitors, then moved on to a (valve) series-regulated supply , I can definitely say that shunt regulation is the ultimate.

IslandPink
14-03-2015, 20:11
You mentioned using a Boston Audio Graphite Mat on a 401, could you tell me where you got it from, I can only find it discontinued.
I bought the Mat direct from Boston Audio a few years ago. It's a shame they aren't made any more. Perhaps there is a substitiute somewhere ? The one I had is now with my buddy Len in Llanddulas , up the road. He uses it on a 401 .

struth
14-03-2015, 21:15
ISOkinetik Make Graphite mats

DarrenHW
15-03-2015, 08:56
ISOkinetik Make Graphite mats

Thanks Grant :thumbsup: