PDA

View Full Version : * MCRU receives a lifetime ban *

Marco
11-03-2015, 13:18
It is with regret, after years of his trading here, that I must announce the lifetime ban from this forum of David Brooks, from MCRU, which is for inappropriate behaviour and business practices.

As a result of his various misdemeanours here over the years, not least of which include his more often than not over-zealous self-promotion and the instigation of a shilling campaign, in reference to the Slic interconnect cable fiasco, all of which at the time he was reprimanded for and warned for his unacceptable behaviour, matters reached a head recently after I received a complaint from Rich B, over the non-delivery of a mains lead that DB had promised him, with his purchase of an MCRU/LDA stage 2 PSU.

Rich informed me that he had been repeatedly trying to contact David to ask why an inferior Chinese-sourced mains lead had been supplied with the PSU, other than the advertised MCRU mains lead, but was simply being ignored and fobbed off, so he asked if I would contact David, on his behalf, and find out what the score was. Therefore, I sent DB a simple and polite email that evening, requesting that he contact me and advise of why Rich hadn't received the mains lead he was promised. The email includes a snippet of the PM I had received from Rich:

Yo daftee,

Just got this PM from Rich B, on AoS:

"A few weeks ago when I bought a vantage bearing from Dave Brooks I also bought a MCRU/LDA stage 2 psu from him and we did the transaction privately via PayPal. For this he offered free postage and a small AoS discount. The psu arrived and all was well other than instead of the MCRU mains lead he advertised on his site being included, it came with a very cheap chinese moulded lead and was missing the cable clips needed to fit the psu.

I sent him a PM about this and got no reply but a few days later a package turned up with the cable clips but no lead. A handwritten note was included saying the lead will follow. I left it a week or so and PM'd him again thanking him and reminding him to send the lead. Again I've not had any reply and have left it a further week before sending him another PM asking him to send the lead."

That is unlike you, so what gives - why did he not get the correct mains lead in the first place, and why haven't you sorted it out for him by now?

ATB,
Marco.

This (verbatim) is the response I received from DB:

dude

whats wrong with you you have no right to invade my privacy

its resolved now go away

the power supply sale was not on aos

go bother someone else

Nice, eh? :rolleyes:

Of course, I didn’t take too kindly to his unjustified rudeness (as I’m perfectly entitled to contact an AoS trader if there is an issue over something an AoS member has purchased, whether the transaction has occurred inside or outside of AoS), and when I challenged him on that, I was met with further rudeness and personal insults, which ultimately led to him receiving a ban.

Initially, I had intended that ban to be for one month, however, whilst investigating a rather more serious accusation made towards DB, in reference to an equipment copyright issue, the details of which at this time I’m unable to disclose (although that may change shortly), I discovered that Mr Brooks was behind the scenes bad-mouthing the AoS membership, over what he considered was their ‘tight-fistedness’, in terms of their unwillingness to buy some of his expensive products.

Included is a quote from various emails and PMs I’ve received, which sums up his attitude and obviously what he really thinks of AoS members, despite the false façade of friendliness he portrayed, forwarded directly to me from the recipients of DB’s comments. Therefore, this is a direct, non-tampered with quote, in reference to what Mr Brooks thinks of the AoS membership (and a forum that largely launched his business into the mainstream arena, as he was a virtual nobody when he first joined):

AoS users are mongrels, tight-arses and losers, who aren’t willing to spend any proper money….

That backs up the tone of some of his most recent comments, such as here on this thread (noting post #138 and my response on post #140), where rather indignantly, you can see he’s having a dig about the existence of a lengthy thread, devoted to discussing a product that he doesn’t sell : http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?36741-Once-you-have-Black-you-never-go-back&p=626896#post626896

Worse was recently on a (now deleted) trade thread of his, advertising his new industrial unit, and when asked by me when the ‘opening party’ would be, I was told that there wouldn’t be one because it’s only for "people who spend real money” :wanker:

It is therefore patently obvious that despite painting a false picture of: ‘I’m your mate, dude, and I’m here to help’, and him building up a level of trust and respect amongst the AoS membership accordingly, the sheer disdain in which David Brooks held AoS members, who have supported his business for the many years he successfully traded here, reflected the actual reality. As such, he is clearly not someone who deserves to be a part of our community, and so his ban was moved to lifetime status.

One thing that I cannot abide is disingenuousness and people who are two-faced, and clearly Mr Brooks is both. That was why Dave Cawley, of TimeStep was banned from here for a similar incident, and also because of him trying to rip off the design of Mike New’s bearing for the Technics SL-1200.

I abhor such money-grabbing parasites in the audio industry, and some parallels can certainly be drawn from that incident and what’s happen here with MCRU. I therefore leave it up to the AoS membership whether they would wish to do business again with MCRU, but it most certainly won’t be through this forum.

Quite simply, DB should’ve been banned long ago, but we put up with his antics (although always warned him when he stepped out of line), simply because he was considered as popular amongst the membership, and on AoS that is always a primary consideration, in terms of anyone’s ‘asset-to-liability-ratio’, as it were.

However popular he may have been, our collective judgement of him was clearly flawed. I guess that in life you will always make mistakes. The key thing is to learn from them, and we most certainly have done that with David Brooks! As they say: ‘once bitten, twice shy’, so: ‘Buyer Beware’……………….

I invite your comments accordingly.

Marco.

struth
11-03-2015, 13:39
 Originally Posted by MCRU
AoS users are mongrels, tight-arses and losers, who aren’t willing to spend any proper money….

Thats a disgraceful comment....and to think i bought stuff off him...shocking!

montesquieu
11-03-2015, 13:53
I think it's fair to say that many forum-goers are up for a bargain, and like discounted or second hand stuff (classifieds being crucial to a forum's health as a certain other forum has found out the hard way by monumentally messing its up) and don't accept marketing bollocks as gospel.

Equally though a lot of us have many thousands in our systems, many of which punch way, way way above their 'price point' if compared to kit sourced new from main dealers (many of whom struggle to assemble a musical setup from the often quite random collection of brands they stock).

I like to think that people here attempt with varying degress of success to 'beat the system' - indeed getting to that feeling is half the fun.

To call that the work of losers and tight arses totally misses the point.

Totally support the ban Marco, you can't behave like that and stay part of the community.

CageyH
11-03-2015, 13:54
His "tight arsed" comments were not behind our backs, but were on the open forum. That's why I bought my KLE harmony plugs elsewhere.

It's a shame as he did me some good deals on several upgrades for my SL1200.

Wakefield Turntables
11-03-2015, 14:03
What a shame it's come to this.

Tarzan
11-03-2015, 14:08
What a shame it's come to this.

X2.:(

hermit
11-03-2015, 14:09
It seems like DB has had a Ratner moment.

"AoS users are mongrels, tight-arses and losers, who aren’t willing to spend any proper money…."

Outrageous but, in my case, accurate :lol: Alienating your customer base is not good business practice and I'm sure he will come to regret both the above comment and his responses to Marco. It seems that he is not ideally equipped to handle the customer facing side of his business. I imagine maintaining a cordial facade, against the grain so to speak, would be a terrible strain. Ultimately such angry outbursts are inevitable. We all have bad days.

Personally, I think it is a shame that he has pressed the self-destruct button on his business relationship with AoS.

Tarzan
11-03-2015, 14:13
It seems like DB has had a Ratner moment.

"AoS users are mongrels, tight-arses and losers, who aren’t willing to spend any proper money…."

Outrageous but, in my case, accurate :lol: Alienating your customer base is not good business practice and I'm sure he will come to regret both the above comment and his responses to Marco. It seems that he is not ideally equipped to handle the customer facing side of his business. I imagine maintaining a cordial facade, against the grain so to speak, would be a terrible strain. Ultimately such angry outbursts are inevitable. We all have bad days.

Personally, I think it is a shame that he has pressed the self-destruct button on his business relationship with AoS.

I have to say l think Mr Brook's comments sum me up perfectly.:)

Firebottle
11-03-2015, 14:18
......indeed, I like to think the best of people, but if they are going to repeatedly show disdain for the community spirit then the action is justified.

The community spirit of AoS is one of its greatest strengths IMHO and that of course includes acceptances of everyones views, pocket depth et al.

:) Alan

Oldpinkman
11-03-2015, 15:18
Whilst it is never pleasant to see acrimony, and I understand the regrets at the loss of long-standing member, I am inclined to want to hand out a Basil Fawlty award for stating (or discovering) the Bleedin obvious. MCRU has shown many signs of looking to make money from riding a band-wagon, and displayed an attitude that seemed to me cynical exploitation. I think it is probably fair to say that AOS members (and forum members generally) are not the "core market" of HiFi buyers I knew when I was last in the trade, and there is an emphasis on 2nd hand and home made. Arthur and I have discussed this a fair bit - and take the view that forums are an enthusiast section of the market - informed, interested and inclined to fettle, and that has to be recognised and respected. It is fair to say that if the whole market were like that - there would be no market, and no manufacturers like Funk. The worry is that the market appears to be dividing between "the tinkerer section" and major brands in designer stores (Linn Naim) where the small innovator like PT was, and Funk is, struggles to find room or access to sufficient distribution channels. There was a paradox between the consistent Five star reviews received for products launched by Funnk and the inpenetrability of UK dealerships who have more than enough turntables on the shelf, and don't need the expense of stocking another no matter how good it is, unless it can completely replace an existing manufacturer. Simply switching to low-price direct sales without the dealer margin was not an option in an international market where overseas sales are over 90% of Funks business, which has to maintain (broadly) universal international prices accordingly. Hence the free home trial idea for the UK and "locked out" overseas markets.

But the fact that a medium such as a hifi forum is unlikely to represent a significant part of a HiFi Manufacturers or dealers turnover is no excuse for rudeness or contempt for fellow members.

So - about time!

Reffc
11-03-2015, 16:04
Well, I for one am happy to support enthusiasts who want to fettle with used hifi (we've all been there and some of us never left!), who look for help and who plainly enjoy music and the hobby. It can be all too easy to be sucked into obsession with brand, status and kit which can happen the more the budgets creep up. I am more than happy to speak with any AoS member whether they wish to spend £1 or £100 or simply want advice which is freely provided and gladly. I have to admit that very little income does derive from forums in general, and a vastly more business comes from outside forums. However, they remain a public window onto any traders that are members, so that demands equal customer service standards and treating everyone with equal dignity irrespective of spend.

anthonyTD
11-03-2015, 16:28
+1:)
Well, I for one am happy to support enthusiasts who want to fettle with used hifi (we've all been there and some of us never left!), who look for help and who plainly enjoy music and the hobby. It can be all too easy to be sucked into obsession with brand, status and kit which can happen the more the budgets creep up. I am more than happy to speak with any AoS member whether they wish to spend £1 or £100 or simply want advice which is freely provided and gladly. I have to admit that very little income does derive from forums in general, and a vastly more business comes from outside forums. However, they remain a public window onto any traders that are members, so that demands equal customer service standards and treating everyone with equal dignity irrespective of spend.

RichB
11-03-2015, 16:44
For the record I've now received the mains lead which appears to be of a higher specification than the one I was meant to receive. This came with a note apologising for the delay. The matter has therefore been resolved to my satisfaction.

Clearly this was one of a number of issues Marco had been made aware of regarding MCRU.

I'd tried hardest to avoid airing dirty laundry on open forum but understand Marco needs to explain to the members what was going on.

I will again thank Marco for his help in resolving the situation.

awkwardbydesign
11-03-2015, 17:11
I am one of those who "fettles" and spends little with dealers in finished equipment. However I, like many others I believe, am asked for advice and recommendations by non enthusiasts. I listen to as much other hifi as I can and base my advice on what I believe to be good sounding and reliable components. Good dealers are also an important part of that, so our treatment by them will influence the advice given. And it only takes a moment to lose a good reputation, but a long time to build one.
So ignoring or abusing us can have a disproportionate effect on these dealers, unless it's "stack 'em high and sell them cheap", of course.
So Paul's approach makes sense.
PS. Can I have my "free" gift now, please? ;)

Marco
11-03-2015, 17:14
Hi Tom,

I think it's fair to say that many forum-goers are up for a bargain, and like discounted or second hand stuff (classifieds being crucial to a forum's health as a certain other forum has found out the hard way by monumentally messing its up) and don't accept marketing bollocks as gospel.

Equally though a lot of us have many thousands in our systems, many of which punch way, way way above their 'price point' if compared to kit sourced new from main dealers (many of whom struggle to assemble a musical setup from the often quite random collection of brands they stock).

I like to think that people here attempt with varying degress of success to 'beat the system' - indeed getting to that feeling is half the fun.

To call that the work of losers and tight arses totally misses the point.

Spot on, as it COMPLETELY misses the point!! :doh:

I like your description of ‘beating the system’, as that’s exactly what it is! The ‘AoS way’ will always be to champion SPPV, and to help teach people how best to achieve it.

Whether that’s a ‘trade friendly’ approach or not, simply isn’t the point. AoS functions, first and foremost as a site for the best interests of genuine audio and music enthusiasts, not just to help traders who have interesting and high-quality products to sell, although we’ll always offer them as much support as we can.

The primary focus, however, will always be on the former, so I’m afraid that’s just something that any trader here has to accept without umbrage.

‘Beating the system’, as you call it, is all about ‘having more sense than money’, as opposed to more money than sense, and an ability to apply lateral thinking - as well as most importantly, an ability to think for yourself, rather than needing someone else to do it for you, such as magazines or a so-called ‘guru'.

I’m sure that Richard Branson, for example, still has much MORE SENSE than he does money! Is he a “loser", too?? ;) However, only an idiot would automatically equate that approach as being the behaviour of a “tight-arse”, or worse, a “loser”.

That latter remark, aside from being comical (considering whom it’s come from), is an utterly disrespectful and disgraceful comment to make from someone with a hi-fi business to run, and typical of a man with limited intelligence and a rather narrow world-view, who gauges ‘success' in life by how much money and/or expensive possessions he has. Such a superficial and downright stupid attitude in business is always liable, in the long term, to achieve failure much more than it does success.

Anyway, in that respect, I’m delighted to have more “tight-arses” here, than gullible fools!!! :exactly:

Marco.

hifinutt
11-03-2015, 17:17
well this is very sad . I have known david for some years and purchased loads of stuff over the years . he has always been good value and very helpful and gone the extra mile as it were

RichB
11-03-2015, 17:19
Spot on, as it COMPLETELY misses the point!! :doh:

I like your description of ‘beating the system’, as that’s exactly what it is! The ‘AoS way’ will always be to champion SPPV, and to help teach people how best to achieve it. Whether that’s a ‘trade friendly’ approach or not, simply isn’t the point. AoS functions, first and foremost as a site for the best interests of genuine audio and music enthusiasts, not just to help traders who have interesting and high-quality products to sell.

The primary focus, however, will always be on the former, so I’m afraid that’s just something that any trader here has to accept without umbrage.

‘Beating the system’, as you call it, is all about ‘having more sense than money’, not more money than sense, and an ability to apply lateral thinking - as well as most importantly an ability to think for yourself, rather than needing someone else to do it for you, such as magazines or a so-called ‘guru'. I’m sure that Richard Branson, for example, still has much MORE SENSE than he does money! Is he a “loser", too?? ;)

However, only an idiot would automatically equate that approach as being the behaviour of a “tight-arse”, or worse, a “loser”.

The latter remark, aside from being comical, is an utterly disrespectful and disgraceful comment to make from someone with a hi-fi business to run, and typical of someone with limited intelligence and a rather narrow world view, who gauges success in life with money and/or possessions. Such a poor attitude is always liable, in the long term, to achieve failure much more than success.

Anyway, in that respect, I’m delighted to have more “tight-arses” here, than gullible fools! :exactly:

Marco.

I remember reading somewhere in the 90s that Branson had installed Linn systems in his first class Virgin Atlantic lounges. I guess he did have more money than sense lol.

Marco
11-03-2015, 17:28
:lolsign:

Pity that Slic cables weren't around then, otherwise he could've wired up all the stereos in the First Class carriages with it, and thus he would've exceeded the ‘daftee status’ of even a primo-daftee, such as Al - and *that* is going some!! :D

Marco.

struth
11-03-2015, 17:29
I remember reading somewhere in the 90s that Branson had installed Linn systems in his first class Virgin Atlantic lounges. I guess he did have more money than sense lol.

Linn would likely have given him a very nice discount though;)

Marco
11-03-2015, 17:39
well this is very sad . I have known david for some years and purchased loads of stuff over the years . he has always been good value and very helpful and gone the extra mile as it were

Sad indeed, as others and I here had considered him as a friend. Admittedly, Phil, he was usually very good at the above, but really that’s the least that one should expect from any business these days, and when it’s patently clear that, IN REALITY, the trader concerned holds his customers in the deepest contempt, it’s not only hurtful, but leaves a rather bitter taste in the mouth.

It certainly spoils one’s faith in humanity.

Marco.

Tarzan
11-03-2015, 18:33
Marco, l cannot help but think could this matter have not have been dealt with privately?

Marco
11-03-2015, 18:37
Hi Richard,

MCRU has shown many signs of looking to make money from riding a band-wagon, and displayed an attitude that seemed to me cynical exploitation.

“Cynical exploitation” about covers it. Essentially, his modus operandi was to ride on the back of forum ‘flavours of the month’, or simply create his own, via a ridiculously thought-out and executed shilling campaign.

I think it is probably fair to say that AOS members (and forum members generally) are not the "core market" of HiFi buyers I knew when I was last in the trade, and there is an emphasis on 2nd hand and home made.

…and also on judiciously modifying equipment that’s worth such treatment, usually the best vintage varieties. Quite simply, *that* (and the above) is most effective way of your equipment delivering the highest SPPV, which is why that approach to system-building is championed so often here.

Arthur and I have discussed this a fair bit - and take the view that forums are an enthusiast section of the market - informed, interested and inclined to fettle, and that has to be recognised and respected.

Absolutely true - and I’m glad to see it respected, rather than rudely dismissed or belittled.

It is fair to say that if the whole market were like that - there would be no market, and no manufacturers like Funk.

Well, then it's up to today’s hi-fi manufacturers to raise their game and produce equipment that genuinely offers high SPPV, instead of in that respect ‘flattering to deceive’, or worse, creating overpriced ‘badge-fi’, for those with more money than sense: the kind of customer that MCRU would like to attract, but doesn’t have the class or gumption to achieve.

If more of today's manufacturers did that, then maybe more folk would be less inclined to modify old gear, or go the DIY route.

But the fact that a medium such as a hifi forum is unlikely to represent a significant part of a HiFi Manufacturers or dealers turnover is no excuse for rudeness or contempt for fellow members.

Indeed. However, I can assure you that DB has scored a MASSIVE own goal - and the adverse effect of that, in terms of his sales, will be realised rather more than he thinks ;)

Marco.

Marco
11-03-2015, 18:40
Hi Andy

Marco, l cannot help but think could this matter have not have been dealt with privately?

People needed to know the reasons for his banning, so that’s what has been given. Furthermore, when members of AoS are being referred to as “losers” and “mongrels”, they deserve to know - and that’s somewhat difficult to do privately ;)

Marco

Tarzan
11-03-2015, 18:42
Hi Andy

People needed to know the reasons for his banning, so that’s what has been given. Furthermore, when members of AoS are being referred to as “losers” and “mongrels”, they deserve to know - and that’s somewhat difficult to do privately ;)

Marco

Ok.

Wakefield Turntables
11-03-2015, 19:47
I remember trying two of his "ultimate" mains leads which I think cost £795 at the time so ~£1600 all in if I had purchased them. I listened for about a week and realised I was seeing no benefit what so ever. I promptly returned the cables and highlighted my findings. I got ~ 4 weeks worth of shitty responses on this forum. It was at this stage I refused to buy anything from him again.

Effem
11-03-2015, 19:58
I can't help but feeling there is another side to this story, but the man cannot defend himself as he has no right of reply, because I am almost seeing a kangaroo court going on here and very badly handled too.

David Brook is no saint for sure and all too often I would cringe over the inappropriate posts he made on the forum where he should not have, so I don't jump to his defence, so if a ban is appropriate then so be it and I don't challenge the decision either. Yes he can be brusque and abrupt sometimes, but up until now I had not heard of poor customer service from the man, so yes these reported outbursts are out of character and maybe these was a valid reason for them, but we may never know now.

As for the "shilling debacle", there never was such an event, only certain people making something out of nothing as usual, or perhaps they had their own agenda, but in any event I couldn't give a toss what anyone thinks - especially the people that have never heard one so are in no position whatsoever to offer an opinion. The fact is I heard and endorsed a great sounding cable and bought one, still use it now in fact. Full stop. The one and only mistake I made was to say anything at all about it on the Art of Sound through my own volition, so I learned my lesson the hard way.

Marco
11-03-2015, 20:06
Well, I for one am happy to support enthusiasts who want to fettle with used hifi (we've all been there and some of us never left!), who look for help and who plainly enjoy music and the hobby. It can be all too easy to be sucked into obsession with brand, status and kit which can happen the more the budgets creep up. I am more than happy to speak with any AoS member whether they wish to spend £1 or £100 or simply want advice which is freely provided and gladly.

Nice one, Paul - and that's why you’re a valued trader here. Quite simply, your business model fits with the AoS ethos, and so you will always have a place here and receive our support.

I have to admit that very little income does derive from forums in general, and a vastly more business comes from outside forums. However, they remain a public window onto any traders that are members, so that demands equal customer service standards and treating everyone with equal dignity irrespective of spend.

Precisely. It’s also rather like doing a hi-fi show, unless you’re just there merely to sell accessories: essentially, it’s about ‘being seen'. A good forum presence is like that too, and part of the many ‘faces’ of a successful on-line hi-fi trader.

The other thing to remember here, and one of the advantages of having such a presence on AoS, is taking advantage of our high Google rankings.

Therefore, any ads placed in the trade room, or products a trader here sells, discussed elsewhere on the forum, are quickly picked up by search engines, and so you not only get sales when members contact you directly to buy something, but indirectly through customers finding you, as a result of a particular product (or products) being discussed on AoS. *That* I think is well worth paying a very reasonable £50 a year for! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
11-03-2015, 20:33
I can't help but feeling there is another side to this story, but the man cannot defend himself as he has no right of reply, because I am almost seeing a kangaroo court going on here and very badly handled too.

Do you only pop in here now to criticise and/or defend your purchase of Slic? Seems like it, Frank. When did you last visit the forum to offer anything else? Trust me, we know you love your Slic cables; that’s old news, so please move on.

I’m of course aware that DB has no right of reply, so I intend to lock the thread once everyone has had their say.

I too was shocked when I heard of the poor customer service he had offered Rich, as DB may be many things, but his generosity and levels of customer service were usually second to none, although it’s very easy to be generous giving away stuff, when you don’t really care much about what it is you’re giving away….

Let’s face it, DB had little passion for hi-fi, other than seeing it as a potential way of making money. In that respect, if it wasn’t hi-fi, he’d have sold something else. For him, it’s just a ‘product’.

That type of attitude, together with his lack of knowledge about audio (and music), or how to set-up a hi-fi system properly, was patently obvious during the times I attended the ‘bake-offs’ at his home. However, he was certainly always an amenable host.

I should add however, in terms of his customer service, that I was also badly let down over a base-plate for a Mike New bearing, for my Technics SL-1210, which arrived minus any fixings (screws or bolts). He claimed it was nothing to do with him, and to "go and annoy" Mike New about it. I nearly banned him then, too.

Well, I was *his* customer, not Mike New’s, as he was the UK agent then for Mike’s bearings and platters... He honestly didn’t give a toss, and instead of supplying the fixings as promised, I had to wait until Mike New sent them from Oz! :rolleyes:

Now, if he’s going to treat me that way, as the forum owner, what motivation would he have to treat ordinary members any better? Some of the folk on other forums where he currently advertises his wares might like to think about that.

Marco.

Effem
11-03-2015, 20:49
Do you only pop in here now to criticise and/or defend your purchase of Slic? Seems like it, Frank. When did you last visit the forum to offer anything positive? Trust me, we know you love your Slic cables; that’s old news, so please move on.

I don't like dual standards, misinformation and deceptions Marco. I don't contribute to the forum because of the SLIC debacle which you choose even now to rake up when it suits, plus I recall there wasn't much effort on your part to control the terrible things being said about me personally during that unfortunate time. "Play the ball not the player" you keep saying but I saw little evidence of that then and since.

I’m of course aware that DB has no right of reply, so I intend to lock the thread once everyone has had their say.

No, what you want is for everyone to agree with the decision before you lock it. Well there is no natural justice in that is there? I am merely having my say in that throwing mud at the man while he cannot defend himself is behaviour best exercised in a playground. Ban him by all means, but don't turn it into a pantomime.

I too was shocked when I heard of the poor customer service he had offered Rich, as DB may be many things, but his generosity and levels of customer service were usually second to none, although it’s very easy to be generous with what you’re giving away, when you don’t really care much about it….

Let’s face it, DB had little passion for hi-fi, other than seeing it as a potential way of making money. In that respect, if it wasn’t hi-fi, he’d have sold something else. It's just a ‘product’ to him. That attitude, together with his lack of knowledge about audio (and music), or how to set-up a hi-fi system, was patently obvious during the times I attended the ‘bake-offs’ at his home. However, he was certainly always an amenable host.

I should add however, in terms of his customer service, that I was also badly let down over a base-plate for a Mike New bearing, which arrived minus any fixings (screws or bolts), which he claimed was nothing to do with him, and to ‘go and annoy’ Mike New about it. Well, I was *his* customer, not Mike New’s... He honestly didn’t give a toss, and instead of him supplying the fixings as promised, I had to wait until Mike New sent them from Oz! :rolleyes:

Now, if he’s going to treat me that way, as the forum owner, what motivation is he going to have to treat ordinary members properly? Some of the folk on other forums where he advertised might like to bear that in mind.
Marco.

The rest of your reply is irrelevant and superfluous.

You don't have to justify anything to me at all Marco, because I did say I had no issues with the ban if it was deserved.

Anthony K
11-03-2015, 20:57
I phoned to place an order with mcru this afternoon. Dave can be very abrupt but I am aware of this from previous calls. Although I am saddened to hear of an outright ban I respect Marco's decision as the site owner and I am sure he came to the conclusion after serious reflection. What little interaction I have had with Marco has always been pleasant , the interaction with Dave has always been a tad on the cold side.
Basic pleasantries go a long way, rudeness leaves a lasting impression......so my headmistress used to tell me during detention. :rolleyes:

Marco
11-03-2015, 21:12
I don't like dual standards, misinformation and deceptions Marco.

Ha - says the master of such!! For your sake, I think we’d better leave that there ;)

The rest of my reply wasn’t superfluous. I was outlining a relevant example where I had experienced, first hand, poor service from MCRU.

You don't have to justify anything to me at all Marco, because I did say I had no issues with the ban if it was deserved.

Good, because whichever way you cut it, calling your customers and members of this forum the names that he did is TOTALLY out of order, reprehensible and unforgivable. The fact is, he wouldn’t have been given a lifetime ban if he didn’t deserve it.

Marco.

Effem
11-03-2015, 21:52
Ha - says the master of such!! For your sake, I think we’d better leave that there ;)

And what might that be may I ask?

Come on, spit it out Marco, you are very good at character assassinations.

And you wonder why I don't post on here :rolleyes:

The rest of my reply wasn’t superfluous. I was outlining a relevant example where I had experienced, first hand, poor service from MCRU.

Of course you were, I didn't think otherwise.

Good, because whichever way you cut it, calling your customers the names he did is TOTALLY out of order, reprehensible and unforgivable.

Marco.

I agree

Effem
11-03-2015, 21:57
Had my say now so will slip back into obscurity.

Marco
11-03-2015, 21:58
I want this thread to remain rigidly on-topic, Frank, so let’s just leave it there.

In fact, I insist on it. Therefore, any more ‘raking over old coals’ will be removed without further warning - and I’m doing that for your sake as much as anything else. The level of your hypocrisy is astonishing, as is your short memory and obvious bias, being a paid cable-assembler for MCRU.

Had my say now so will slip back into obscurity.

Excellent, which kind of proves my earlier point of the only reason why you visit here, which of course is to be an irritant.

Marco.

sq225917
11-03-2015, 21:59
I'm not a fan of cable bullshit but all the bits and bobs I ever bought from David arrived in a timely fashion and we're always as advertised.

I'm not surprised he thinks you lot are a bunch of tightwad losers. I certainly am!

Marco
11-03-2015, 22:03
I never had you down as a tightwad, Simon! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
11-03-2015, 22:29
Ok folks, I’m wrapping this one up, as the thread has now served its purpose.

Thanks to all who have contributed. However, do bear in mind all that’s been written here, and whether or not you wish to further line the pockets of someone like David Brooks.

Marco.