PDA

View Full Version : two amps....one speaker?

sumday
10-03-2015, 21:58
my current amp is a NAD t744 home cinema receiver running in two channel mode into biwireabe q 2050i speakers.
this gives me a reasonable sound with the benefits of remote operation and the use of the onboard dac for improving tv and skybox sound.

however, something is missing compared to my earlier NAD 3120 and cd combo.

is it possible to run the 3120 and cd into the speakers via the spare set of terminals AND the home cinema amp together.....but obviously not at the same time??

if I take the precaution of not having both units on together can the "not in use" speaker run upset the "not in use" amp??

any thoughts...NIGE.

struth
10-03-2015, 22:23
my current amp is a NAD t744 home cinema receiver running in two channel mode into biwireabe q 2050i speakers.
this gives me a reasonable sound with the benefits of remote operation and the use of the onboard dac for improving tv and skybox sound.

however, something is missing compared to my earlier NAD 3120 and cd combo.

is it possible to run the 3120 and cd into the speakers via the spare set of terminals AND the home cinema amp together.....but obviously not at the same time??

if I take the precaution of not having both units on together can the "not in use" speaker run upset the "not in use" amp??

any thoughts...NIGE.

As long as the speaker links are in place and only one amp is on then it wont upset anything, BUT it is dangerous as 1 error and poof goes the gear. You would be better getting a switch box

Firebottle
11-03-2015, 06:40
No don't do it.
Unless both amplifiers have 'switch on delay' speaker isolating relays it is a very bad idea. I'm guessing the A/V amp won't have (I may be wrong).

Use a speaker switch as Grant suggests.

:) Alan

StanleyB
11-03-2015, 06:45
What you need is the Beresford TC-7220 MKII speaker/amp switch. See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beresford-TC-7220-MKII-Dual-Amplifier-Speaker-Selector-Switch-Audio-Router-/221712632328?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339f1a4a08

sumday
11-03-2015, 13:07
cheers fella's

the switchbox looks likely.

NIGE.

skimminstones
11-03-2015, 13:17
ive been using one of stans switch boxes for a few years now. Never had an issue and no discernible change in sound quality

Rush2112
15-03-2015, 07:49
Switch boxes first, as with everything quality counts! A good switch, wiring and connectors will minimise any signal degradation. I use a Alps switch in a custom case to allow two balanced sources to feed one balanced input. I also use a similar arrangement for single ended Phono switching to feed my sub woofer allowing me to select between the output from the AV amp or the hi-fi Preamp. Both work without any discernible sound loss and the benefits of ease of use would far out way the very small loss that in reality must exist.

Two amps ! Bi-amping is a tried and tested idea but is best suited to pre power options where volume matching etc is more controllable allowing a different amp to feed the lower frequency and upper frequency of bi wired speakers. I used this to great effect with a MF Pre3A, 2 x P180's and CRPS, feeding B&W 805. I preferred this to using the P180's bridged to mono and as mono blocks.