PDA

View Full Version : Caiman MKII Super Firmware

StanleyB
10-03-2015, 09:06
I have available a limited number of a special firmware for the Caiman MKII, which I dubbed the Super Firmware.

It has been under discussion and stability testing by a couple of members of the TAS forum for some time now.

Some important info that should be considered before you consider ordering one of the remaining few of the Super Firmware:

1. The battery optimization facility is a piece of code that is built into the V5 and V6 firmware as well.
2. The chip is not actually a ROM, but a RISC processor with ROM, RAM, etc. running at 20MHz in the case of the existing CII. So it is a bit more advanced than the average chip that is normally used by other designers for this kind of task.
3. The V6 Firmware should not be confused with the production version of the Firmware. The production firmware is still the V5-xx range, and is subject to the normal upgrade and improvements as they are deemed necessary.
4. The V6 is a rewritten code designed for high quality source material played back via a good or better digital connection from a good or better source. So it might not work well with the Airport Express, which uses too many irregular transmission methods across various production versions of the AE. Other pieces of digital sources or transmitters might also fall down with the code. That could include some cable boxes, and TV digital outputs. Don't ask me which ones, since I don't know! I only tested the code on my own equipment. It works fine with the Touch.
5. The V6 code might also not sync well with poor or heavily encrypted wireless connections.
6. It might not show much benefits with mp3 and other highly compressed lossy material.
7 The V6 supports 176.4KHz and 88.2KHz
8. The V6 is strictly for all out sonic performance, rather than steady and consistent operational reliability from a wider range of digital playback devices. So keep that in mind. If you got several different types of equipment plugged into the CaimanII, the performance gains on your "better" equipment and connection might show a higher consistency and better result when compared to your other equipment.
9. The Airport Express and Sonos might not benefit from the Super Firmware. So don't order it if your main music source is one of them.
10. Due to its reliance on a better than average performance capability of your existing audio equipment, it might not work for everyone. Or the improvements might not be large enough to justify the cost.

Sorry for the long caveat. But I do get the occasional person who might complain about a glitch in the music once every hour. Or noise for the speaker when you press your ears against the drivers and got the music in Pause mode. If you are one of them, then the V6 might not be for you. I would suggest that you stick to the regular V5 firmware revisions.

As of this morning I only have 12 pieces left of the 25 that I had last Thursday. So if you are interested I suggest that you email me. If you must PM instead, include an email address that I can use to email you the full details on how to order etc.

Lee
16-03-2015, 07:54
Over the weekend I installed the new Superfirmware into my two Caiman II's. The sound is now even more "live" and it was very fine before. I can hear more of the ambience of the recording. Voices are now exceptionally clear, even in my lively living room the clarity now seem to cut through the reflections of the room. Strings are present with texture and harmonics. Piano is dynamic, top to bottom. I have two Caiman II's, so was able to compare original to Super and there really is no contest in the sound. Percussion is scary good. Only one caveat I've found. When I use AirFoil on my Mac Mini to stream via AirPlay to my bedroom system through an old MacBook, there are tiny breakups every few minutes. I will continue to see what if anything can be done to stop this happening, but as far as I am concerned the improvement in sound quality is well worth the switch from original to Superfirmware! Thanks Stan!!!

StanleyB
17-03-2015, 17:13
A quick update:

the RISC based super firmware is now SOLD out. Thank you all who bought one to try and reported back on the excellent results.

Anyone who missed out can email me for a place on the waiting list for the next trial.

MikeMusic
19-03-2015, 15:40
From my experience get on the waiting list !

Great upgrade and superb VFM

icehockeyboy
25-03-2015, 12:35
Everything I've ever bought from Stan has been better than the last thing I bought from him!

I'm on the waiting list!

MikeMusic
26-03-2015, 09:01
Will be the usual boring improvement

:)

icehockeyboy
26-03-2015, 11:13
Will be the usual boring improvement

An improvement can be boring?

Desmo
26-03-2015, 11:28

Yes I did not understand that comment either. I fitted the super firmware chip to my Caiman II a few weeks ago and it was certainly not boring. It's quite a noticable step up in sound quality. I think the combination of Anker battery supply, gold plated 2A fuse, and the new firmware has taken the Caiman to new heights.

REXTON
26-03-2015, 12:26
I'm in! Can't wait.

Audio Advent
26-03-2015, 16:57
Yes I did not understand that comment either. I fitted the super firmware chip to my Caiman II a few weeks ago and it was certainly not boring. It's quite a noticable step up in sound quality. I think the combination of Anker battery supply, gold plated 2A fuse, and the new firmware has taken the Caiman to new heights.

I read it to be a joke along the lines of "all these constant improvements is getting predictably boring!"

MikeMusic
27-03-2015, 08:08

My little sense of humour

There's just no excitement. Will it sound better, will it not ?

No. It will sound better - just like always

I like this sort of boring

StanleyB
28-03-2015, 06:39
I have another set of 25 pieces of the super firmware ready to program in the next few days. Those on the waiting list have been notified. I expect to have a couple left over. So anyone within the EU who is considering ordering a Caiman MKII might be able to get a super firmware fitted at a small additional cost.

worrasf
28-03-2015, 07:23
Another excellent and very audible upgrade.

This is what I emailed Stan after installing a few weeks ago and things have only gotten better with time :)

" don't know what you have done with this firmware upgrade but its another step change in SQ Stan! Bass response is phenomenal and entire presentation is sharper and cleaner - (as clean as gold pants if you've seen the advert on TV 😄) soundstage is way bigger with tighter focus of voices / instruments - I'm guessing you've lowered the background noise still further Loving it ...... Currently listening via the Capella and my Beyer DT 990/600 - not sure if intended but there seems to be a synergy here - I have heard an entire piano phrasing mix on Einaudi's Divinere I have never heard before! "

Highly recommended

:cool:

jon1
28-03-2015, 10:57
Another excellent and very audible upgrade.

This is what I emailed Stan after installing a few weeks ago and things have only gotten better with time :)

" don't know what you have done with this firmware upgrade but its another step change in SQ Stan! Bass response is phenomenal and entire presentation is sharper and cleaner - (as clean as gold pants if you've seen the advert on TV ��) soundstage is way bigger with tighter focus of voices / instruments - I'm guessing you've lowered the background noise still further Loving it ...... Currently listening via the Capella and my Beyer DT 990/600 - not sure if intended but there seems to be a synergy here - I have heard an entire piano phrasing mix on Einaudi's Divinere I have never heard before! "

Highly recommended

:cool:

I Second that...It is one hell of a upgrade Highly recommended

jon

Getgaff
28-03-2015, 12:09
Thirded. This coupled with the Anker battery takes the Caiman II to another level and beyond IMHO. For a brief moment I had considered selling my Caiman; now I'd be a fool to do so.

icehockeyboy
28-03-2015, 12:23
Can't wait to get mine!

jon1
28-03-2015, 14:07
Thirded. This coupled with the Anker battery takes the Caiman II to another level and beyond IMHO. For a brief moment I had considered selling my Caiman; now I'd be a fool to do so.

Steady gareth did you lose it for a second?:D

jon

jon1
28-03-2015, 14:08
Can't wait to get mine!

Graig it is worth the wait;)

jon

icehockeyboy
31-03-2015, 15:04
The chip was waiting for me as I got home, so first priority was to fit it.

The difference as those lucky enough to have already received theirs will know...is amazing!

There's really no other word to describe the difference a farting little chip could make.

The wife loves SuBo, and there's a particular track that has the sound the intro, or run out groove that vinyl has, Im certain I've never heard it before, but with the new Stanchip, it's loud and clear!

Early days yet, in fact I've only listened to 3 tracks, but there is a major upgrade to SQ.

I would urge any Caiman mk2 owners to buy one immediately! :)

icehockeyboy
31-03-2015, 17:24
As Jon 1 mentions earlier, bass has improved to the next level.

This really has to be the best curry take away priced upgrade ever.

And now, I'm going back to go through my music!

jon1
31-03-2015, 19:05
As Jon 1 mentions earlier, bass has improved to the next level.

This really has to be the best curry take away priced upgrade ever.

And now, I'm going back to go through my music!

A very cheap upgrade graig..It is a must for caimanMKll owners;)

jon

StanleyB
01-04-2015, 15:23
The difference as those lucky enough to have already received theirs will know...is amazing!

There's really no other word to describe the difference a farting little chip could make.
The USP (unique selling point) of this upgrade is that you can swap between the two chips to check if you can or can't hear an improvement just to make sure that it isn't foo. I wished that all mods were that simple to install and compare against the original.

icehockeyboy
01-04-2015, 15:46
Stan,
And I'm not saying this to get brownie points or even a discount off you, but each time I've purchased something from you, it has made an improvement to my set up.

StanleyB
01-04-2015, 15:52
Stan,
And I'm not saying this to get brownie points or even a discount off you, but each time I've purchased something from you, it has made an improvement to my set up.
That's the general idea, otherwise I wouldn't be deserving of my claim to be a designer of products with cutting edge performance at working class prices ;).

aBe
01-04-2015, 16:09
Stan,

I'm game !
Please let me know when the next batch is ready, OK

StanleyB
01-04-2015, 16:57
Stan,

I'm game !
Please let me know when the next batch is ready, OK
email me when you are ready. I got about 15 left of the new batch.

brainz2000
06-04-2015, 16:38
Mail sent :-)

StanleyB
06-04-2015, 17:50
Mail sent :-)
Replied :)

REXTON
06-04-2015, 18:12
i cant wait for mine.

jon1
08-04-2015, 17:10
i cant wait for mine.

Well?

jon

REXTON
08-04-2015, 18:45
Well?

jon

Arrived today, fitted, start listening later. :popcorn:

REXTON
08-04-2015, 19:09
Well it's not blown up yet!

jon1
08-04-2015, 19:32
Well it's not blown up yet!

..Good Keep going..need a full report:D

jon

REXTON
08-04-2015, 19:38
OK ;)

jon1
08-04-2015, 20:02
OK ;)

But... take your time:eyebrows:

jon

Stresss42
09-04-2015, 19:10
The chip was waiting for me as I got home, so first priority was to fit it.

The wife loves SuBo, and there's a particular track that has the sound the intro, or run out groove that vinyl has, Im certain I've never heard it before, but with the new Stanchip, it's loud and clear!

Early days yet, in fact I've only listened to 3 tracks, but there is a major upgrade to SQ.

I would urge any Caiman mk2 owners to buy one immediately! :)

Absolutely agree....Noticed a difference straight away. Absolutely stunning.

Playing tracks I know very - very well ( for example Level 42 - Lying Still ) last night, there's extra detail, emotion and substance to the music...especially the vocal.

Absolutely love it.

REXTON
09-04-2015, 20:20
Had a quick 20 minutes listening to Led Zeppelin I

Track 9 - I can't quit you Baby

Bass heavier but not bloated. Snare drum work had greater detail seemed crisper. Microdetail greatly improved. I swear I heard new things in the background.

Track 10 - How many more times?

Soundstage seemed a little more holographic, a little more 3D. Jimmy Page's guitar seemed a to have a sharper, more defined, raw edge.

I can immediately see an improvement it takes a lot to impress me and this little upgrade has, it's a big +1 from me and especially as it only costs 20.

Well done Stan.

StanleyB
09-04-2015, 20:40
Sometimes one has to ignore assumptions and convention, and just follow your instinct. The information has been there all along in each audio file, but different people have their own idea on what is audible and what is possible. Some will even confront you with the formulas. In the case of the Caiman MKII I tore up the book of myths and fables, threw caution to the wind, and got my shuffle out to search for the Holy Grail. The Super Firmware is that shuffle :eyebrows:.
But just as important is the rest of your equipment. I can extract each bit and at its correct bit depth. But for you to be able to actually hear it your amp and speakers need to be equally capable of resolving the information to that sort of level. The fact that you can hear the extra low signal level detail is a testament in itself to the quality of the equipment that you possess, irrespective of cost or age.

jon1
10-04-2015, 19:17
Sometimes one has to ignore assumptions and convention, and just follow your instinct. The information has been there all along in each audio file, but different people have their own idea on what is audible and what is possible. Some will even confront you with the formulas. In the case of the Caiman MKII I tore up the book of myths and fables, threw caution to the wind, and got my shuffle out to search for the Holy Grail. The Super Firmware is that shuffle :eyebrows:.
But just as important is the rest of your equipment. I can extract each bit and at its correct bit depth. But for you to be able to actually hear it your amp and speakers need to be equally capable of resolving the information to that sort of level. The fact that you can hear the extra low signal level detail is a testament in itself to the quality of the equipment that you possess, irrespective of cost or age.

You know when you have being shuffled by stan.... hear the difference:eyebrows:

jon

brainz2000
10-04-2015, 23:59
Stan

Just a note as the small hours of the morning approach to confirm what I have seen others suggest ... the Super Firmware is another significant step forward.

I should be in bed and yet I am compelled to listen more, no doubt ending up tired on our family trip to London over the weekend.

I'd go so far as to say that is one of the very best 20 investments I have ever made. I had an interesting moment with a bent pin, but nothing a pair of small needlenose pliers couldn't fix followed by a very careful reseat of your new chip ....

I have auditioned the Best of Japan and Mark Cohn and rather than flick from track to track, I am finding myself drawn into the detail of the music and my overall impression is a very natural balance, full of the detail and depth ...

Outstanding - I never thought I could afford this kind of replay quality ...

Many thanks for all your efforts and for sharing the fruits of your labour

Tim

drpetar
11-04-2015, 16:25
Over a week with the v6 firmware and also can confirm that this is a very audible step up in the sound quality. Better bass, more clarity and openness, more 3D and separation.

Great upgrade. Thanks Stan.

mkrzych
13-04-2015, 06:53
I can extract each bit and at its correct bit depth. But for you to be able to actually hear it your amp and speakers need to be equally capable of resolving the information to that sort of level. The fact that you can hear the extra low signal level detail is a testament in itself to the quality of the equipment that you possess, irrespective of cost or age.

Ditto. That means that you equipment and set up as a whole has to be equally good with very low noise floor, free of humming or ground loops and good speakers or cans.

aBe
29-04-2015, 03:55
Echoed. I've managed to move my lethargic fingers to finally click Ctrl-C then followed by Ctrl-V :

I'd go so far as to say that is one of the very best 20 investments I have ever made.
I am finding myself drawn into the detail of the music and my overall impression is a very natural balance, full of the detail and depth ...
Many thanks for all your efforts and for sharing the fruits of your labour, Stan.

Nice comments of mine, innit? :eyebrows:
Tim - Plagiarism is the highest form of flattery.
Haha

Stan

Just a note as the small hours of the morning approach to confirm what I have seen others suggest ... the Super Firmware is another significant step forward.

I should be in bed and yet I am compelled to listen more, no doubt ending up tired on our family trip to London over the weekend.

I'd go so far as to say that is one of the very best 20 investments I have ever made. I had an interesting moment with a bent pin, but nothing a pair of small needlenose pliers couldn't fix followed by a very careful reseat of your new chip ....

I have auditioned the Best of Japan and Mark Cohn and rather than flick from track to track, I am finding myself drawn into the detail of the music and my overall impression is a very natural balance, full of the detail and depth ...

Many thanks for all your efforts and for sharing the fruits of your labour

Tim

icehockeyboy
29-04-2015, 08:03
Still absolutely amazed at how this little chip has upped the game!

Interesting to note, when we find cables that we believe ups the SQ, there's always someone with a contrary opinion, not so with this little miracle, everyone agrees it's a big improvement!

Desmo
29-04-2015, 08:26
Still absolutely amazed at how this little chip has upped the game!

Interesting to note, when we find cables that we believe ups the SQ, there's always someone with a contrary opinion, not so with this little miracle, everyone agrees it's a big improvement!

Yup! and a lot cheaper than a cable upgrade.

MikeMusic
30-04-2015, 06:58
Funny. I was listening away yesterday and wondering why the system sounded so good.
Hadn't made any changes .....

Oh yes that funny little chip