PDA

View Full Version : [FS] Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre-Amp & extra valves

orbscure
08-03-2015, 12:08
Surplus to my current requirements and set-up with 2 x SOVTEK 12AX7LPS valves and 1 x BRIMAR 6060 Yellow T which sounds superb. Recently given a clean bill of health by Glenn @ Croft and in excellent overall cosmetic condition. However, please note very small mark on fascia front top edge and slightly deformed on it top right edge, both of which are evident on the last photo but neither have any effect on its superb operation. I will also provide the following spare valves: 1 x GE JAN5965 and 1 x Phillips JAN 12AT7WC.

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss333/LEMB/Hi-Fi/2015-03-08%2011.42.26_zpsg0ide56m.jpg
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss333/LEMB/Hi-Fi/2015-03-08%2011.42.59_zpssbwngxwj.jpg
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss333/LEMB/Hi-Fi/2015-03-08%2011.43.14_zpslvk8lp5z.jpg
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss333/LEMB/Hi-Fi/2015-03-08%2011.43.23_zpskea02lp8.jpg
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss333/LEMB/Hi-Fi/2015-03-08%2011.43.46_zpsoevdlejg.jpg
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss333/LEMB/Hi-Fi/2015-03-08%2011.44.08_zps3kruqz5i.jpg
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss333/LEMB/Hi-Fi/2015-03-08%2011.45.41_zpszamolud2.jpg
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss333/LEMB/Hi-Fi/2015-03-08%2011.50.41_zpslhfsznef.jpg
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss333/LEMB/Hi-Fi/2015-03-08%2011.45.06_zps6gj7lo3y.jpg

Looking for £275 FIRM which includes FREE mainland UK shipping
Collection from CR5 very much welcome
Payment via PayPal Gift, Direct Bank Transfer or Cash on Collection

...any questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)

RichB
08-03-2015, 12:29
PM sent.

Sovereign
08-03-2015, 12:29
Pete is a great guy to deal with , and a cracking amp!

RichB
08-03-2015, 12:32
He is and it is...

another itch to scratch:eyebrows:

orbscure
08-03-2015, 12:35
Thanks for the kind words chaps... I don't really want to sell this, but the cash will come in handy for a couple of itches I need to scratch :)

orbscure
08-03-2015, 12:37
...and SOLD STP :)

RichB
08-03-2015, 12:46
...and SOLD STP :)

Itch well and truly scratched!

orbscure
08-03-2015, 12:52
Payment received with thanks Rich... you will not be disappointed :)

Audio Al
08-03-2015, 13:31
I have one of these in my humble system

Love it :)

The Black Adder
08-03-2015, 13:36
£275... Blimey, an excellent price for such a superb pre. I've had one too, I was well amazed. And the phono stage in these are simply awsome.

Audio Al
08-03-2015, 14:43
Hi Pete
can I ask where you purchased the 2 x SOVTEK 12AX7LPS valves and 1 x BRIMAR 6060 Yellow T

May give them a try in my 25 :)

orbscure
08-03-2015, 14:56
I'm fairly sure that the unit was supplied by Croft with the 2 x SOVTEK 12AX7LPS fitted as standard, but as was discussed here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?34756-WANTED-JAN-5965-or-equivalent-valve), the Brimar 6060 Yellow T was kindly supplied by Steve/worrasf :)

hughandella
30-03-2015, 00:04
Itch well and truly scratched!

Rich

Can i ask how you are getting along with the Croft ? --- I quite fancy one myself and would be interested hearing more, I know Pete who you bought it from liked it a lot --- infact only the Densen he bought from me dislodged it ! --- so I have 1 good review from someone i trust to tempt me already !

twotone
30-03-2015, 08:39
Rich

Can i ask how you are getting along with the Croft ? --- I quite fancy one myself and would be interested hearing more, I know Pete who you bought it from liked it a lot --- infact only the Densen he bought from me dislodged it ! --- so I have 1 good review from someone i trust to tempt me already !

I had one and they are very very good but the dual volume pots will drive you mad, well they did with me so I sold it.

Couldn't be bother with all of that elastic band pish!

Tony

hifi_dave
30-03-2015, 09:19
The reality is that most people get on well with the double volume pots.

The Barbarian
30-03-2015, 09:24
You know summert ive been thinking about Amplifiers/Phono stages.. the only company i would entertain these days would be Croft without a shadow of a doubt. Hand made, very well priced {too cheap if anything} & sound quality that is very good.

Audio Al
30-03-2015, 09:32

I agree , I like mine as you can tweet them re listening position and speaker placement

orbscure
30-03-2015, 09:36
I'm sure that I've also read here on AoS that Glenn can offer a single pot version on request...

Audio Al
30-03-2015, 09:36
I'm sure that I've also read here on AoS that Glenn can offer a single pot version on request...

He does

RichB
30-03-2015, 09:39
Rich

Mixed feelings if I'm honest, Do I love how it sounds? Yes.

Do I love the dual volume pots? No

Can I be arsed to change them and go the uprgrading route as others have? Probably not.

My intention was to use it as phono stage primarily but having to swap my speaker wires over every time I want to play a bit vinyl is probably going to get on my tits I reckon.

Might have to move it on and just get a tube phono.... Firebottle here we come.

The Barbarian
30-03-2015, 10:14

I think the German market models are Singles?

twotone
30-03-2015, 10:32

Not if you read the many threads on the various hi-fi forums they don't.

I hated them (DV pots) with a passion and it's as shouty as feck as most valve amps are.

I spent most of my time with it adjusting one pot or another, now I just move my arse:lol:

twotone
30-03-2015, 10:35

Can I be arsed to change them and go the uprgrading route as others have? Probably not.

My intention was to use it as phono stage primarily but having to swap my speaker wires over every time I want to play a bit vinyl is probably going to get on my tits I reckon.

If you do buy a FB phono stage do yourself a massive favour and buy a Quad pre to go with it, I paired it with a modded Quad 34 and it sounded great but not so great with an XTZ integrated.

Doubt I would ever buy another valave phono or any valve amp being completely honest, too much messing about with them, all of that noise stuff drives me mental.

hifi_dave
30-03-2015, 10:44
Not if you read the many threads on the various hi-fi forums they don't.

I hated them (DV pots) with a passion and it's as shouty as feck as most valve amps are.

I spent most of my time with it adjusting one pot or another, now I just move my arse:lol:

I've been selling them for 30 years and the number of people not wanting to buy because of the twin pots can be counted (comfortably) on one hand. The number of people who have not been happy after purchase are......zero.

twotone
30-03-2015, 11:04
I've been selling them for 30 years and the number of people not wanting to buy because of the twin pots can be counted (comfortably) on one hand. The number of people who have not been happy after purchase are......zero.

We could go round the houses here if you like, I had one for about six months and it drove me nuts, the guy who has bought this one is of a similar mind and I regularly read forums when this topic comes up and it drives people to sell them on.

Few well kent names on this thread bemoaning DV pots and that was from a very quick Google.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?78140-Advice-from-Croft-owners

The Barbarian
30-03-2015, 11:37
Re: Dual mono pots
Try find a flat strong Elastic band to span around the two Volume Knobs, not too tight as to pull on them but tight enough not to slip off. Turn on knob both will then turn, simples.

walpurgis
30-03-2015, 11:41
You could always really confuse the issue by installing a balance control too. :D

struth
30-03-2015, 11:45
Would have thought a volume and balance would be better control wise than 2 volumes. Then if wished a defeat switch could be fitted to bypass balance for the purists.

The Barbarian
30-03-2015, 11:55
You could always really confuse the issue by installing a balance control too. :D

O dear that would be as criminal as Bass/Treble controls ;)

hifi_dave
30-03-2015, 11:56
We could go round the houses here if you like, I had one for about six months and it drove me nuts, the guy who has bought this one is of a similar mind and I regularly read forums when this topic comes up and it drives people to sell them on.

Few well kent names on this thread bemoaning DV pots and that was from a very quick Google.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?78140-Advice-from-Croft-owners

From that thread there was one enquiry and one complaint. That is hardly earth shaking or indicative of a major problem.

I don't want to "go round the houses", I'm just pointing out the realities from someone who sells Croft products every week and has done so for 30 years. The twin volume pots do not trouble the average customer or purchaser. Customers usually consider it a plus point.

twotone
30-03-2015, 12:21
Re: Dual mono pots
Try find a flat strong Elastic band to span around the two Volume Knobs, not too tight as to pull on them but tight enough not to slip off. Turn on knob both will then turn, simples.

Aye great work around for a £1400 amp:lol:

Honestly...

twotone
30-03-2015, 12:23
From that thread there was one enquiry and one complaint. That is hardly earth shaking or indicative of a major problem.

I don't want to "go round the houses", I'm just pointing out the realities from someone who sells Croft products every week and has done so for 30 years. The twin volume pots do not trouble the average customer or purchaser. Customers usually consider it a plus point.

Well I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree, I think DV pot amps are pish you don't, I bought one and lived with it you sell them and don't.

hughandella
30-03-2015, 13:19

Hi Rich

Well I'd be happy to take it off our hands at what you paid for it if you like ? ..... I've just bought a MF XLPII phono stage from Dan (Loosend) for £65 that I could get diverted to you ( hopefully !) or send it straight on once i receive it if you want that and I'll make up the difference in cash, Ithink its a well regarded phono stage and a v good price tks top Dan ? .. or can pay you all in PayPal gift if you prefer -- I have been let down on another Croft and keen to try one ----

let me know

cheers

chris

The Barbarian
30-03-2015, 13:38
Aye great work around for a £1400 amp:lol:

Honestly...

I don't give two hoots how much it cost im telling you the best way to get around using two fingers.

twotone
30-03-2015, 15:05
I don't give two hoots how much it cost im telling you the best way to get around using two fingers.

I know all about the 'elastic band mod' which is, frankly, ridiculous on amps costing up to £2,500.

Laughable in fact.

Oh, here's the keys to yer new £50,000 motor sir but mind and do the elastic band mod for the switches on the doors otherwise they'll drive you nuts:D

The Barbarian
30-03-2015, 15:06
I know all about the 'elastic band mod' which is, frankly, ridiculous on amps costing up to £2,500.

Laughable in fact.

So why is that come on? what makes the price anything in the slightest to do with what ive recommended?

twotone
30-03-2015, 15:25
So why is that come on? what makes the price anything in the slightest to do with what ive recommended?

The 'accepted' mod for DV pots on a manufacturer' amps, both high end and low end amps, is an elastic band tied round said volume pots, don't you think that is just a tad 'amateurish' and well, a bit pish looking too?

Not having a go at you here mate but FFS elastic bands tied round volume knobs, don't you think that maybe just maybe the design doesn't work for some people and that as a result the designer should 'design' something a wee bit more suitable rather that allowing people to go round fixing elastic bands to the amps' DV pots and also seemingly ignoring that there's an 'issue' with said DV pots?

I mean if sliding doors on motors/cars/vans/trucks don't work then put doors on that does, this ain't rocket science.

The Barbarian
30-03-2015, 15:35
Yeh so is fitting giant 'O' rings to Garrad '401' platter :rolleyes:

Another member for the ignore list

Bye bye.

twotone
30-03-2015, 15:41
Yeh so is fitting giant 'O' rings to Garrad '401' platter :rolleyes:

Another member for the ignore list

Bye bye.

Edited

Marco
30-03-2015, 18:24
Erm, I think it's time to remind folk of the rules for this section of the forum:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?28114-***-WARNING-everyone-PLEASE-READ!!!-***

Please make sure that everyone here adheres to them in future!

Marco.