PDA

View Full Version : Communique

Haselsh1
07-03-2015, 17:21
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/TD160%20Dire%20Straits%20March_zpstyhajozh.jpg (http://s867.photobucket.com/user/Haselsh1/media/TD160%20Dire%20Straits%20March_zpstyhajozh.jpg.htm l)

So I spent a bit of money and bought the 180g vinyl versions of the first two Dire Straits albums.
It seems very trendy and stereotypical to slag off Dire Straits these days but these first two albums are so gorgeous and full of very skillful playing on the part of the Knopfler brothers. Communique is one of my all time favourite albums by anyone and I particularly like the track 'News' on the first side.
I must say that, in spite of paying around eighteen pounds per album, these vinyl records are certainly not entirely flat and I fully sympathise with Andre when he gets himself in a state about the state of his new and expensive vinyl. For the kind of money we are paying I expect damn near perfection and I am not getting even an average deal. I could buy these albums on CD for around a fiver each so just what the hell is going on here ?
Back to the vinyl though, from the moment I first heard this album back in the late seventies I just knew it was something special with just the right amount of piano content. Their later albums simply contained way too much keyboard antics for me. I got to see them live at Sheffield City Hall back around '81 and have to admit they were the most boring bunch of muso's I have ever seen. I guess you can't be everything to everyone...?

struth
07-03-2015, 17:32
I have to concur. I hell of a lot of new 180 gm vinyl is not flat. either the pressing plat is faulty or they are being stored and transported inncorrectly ....it is annoying when a lot of cash is being spent.

Firebottle
07-03-2015, 19:05
I've got some original Dire straits albums picked up from second hand/junk store outlets and once they are cleaned they sound fantastic.

Certainly had some good sound engineers around then :)

wiicrackpot
07-03-2015, 21:09
Now you've got it out your system Shaun, go out and shoot some photo's, your Cleethorpes pic thread needs updated. :D

Agreed they are good albums, DS is a bit like SME in hifidom, it's hip to slag them.

Mika K
08-03-2015, 10:01
Communique is also my favorite of the bunch, so understand well where you're coming from. I have orig pressing of it and it really sounds wonderful!

..a bit like SME in hifidom, it's hip to slag them.
:D :D :D

wiicrackpot
08-03-2015, 12:02
Sssht....Mika, don't wanna wake up those knockers for the next round of SME kicking. :eek:

What you doing in doors anyway, go out and shoot some more shots of your bike and wonderful country. :):cool:

Audio Al
08-03-2015, 13:36
Communique

It is a fine album , I have several :)

The Barbarian
08-03-2015, 13:47
I must say that, in spite of paying around eighteen pounds per album, these vinyl records are certainly not entirely flat and I fully sympathise with Andre when he gets himself in a state about the state of his new and expensive vinyl.

Hi Shaun
Well i think you must be the only other person that Sympathises with me regarding these issues! Seems people either expect it or just don't care!

It seems very trendy and stereotypical to slag off Dire Straits these days but these first two albums are so gorgeous and full of very skillful playing on the part of the Knopfler brothers.

My excuse for hating a band comes from maybe the fact that they were very over played commercially.It certainly is with me & the reason i dislike a lot of things.. Ive always tried to keep to the Underground/Non commercial side of music if i can to avoid irritations..

Ronksley
08-03-2015, 17:51
At first when you said wasnt flat I thought you ment it didnt sound flat not that thew record was bent or something absolutely shocking
I dont know what to say I cant beleive a brand new £18 lp would be bent or warpped if this is normal should you not be going to trading standards or something
I must admit I know nothing about modern vinyl I occasionally buy the odd lp in a charity shop but for serious listening only use Cd and one of the reasons I do so is quality of product
Who makes the vinyl these days is it still the big companies who have always just exploited the music lover and just used us to make money or are they made by smaller people who have no ability to control pruduct quality I assume all vinyl is made abroad these days
As far I remember back in the nineties in the world of independent labels if a pressing was bad the record label had to stump up for repressing another batch unless the factory had really messsed up and the little labels just didnt have the money for this Always seemed to me that very few people actually cared about the sound quality of the product

Macca
09-03-2015, 12:38
It was trendy to slag of Dire Straits 30 years ago, not really sure if it still is or if some folk are stuck in a time warp.

I've only got one modern re-issue, Stone Roses first album, soemone bought it me as a present. Very noisy. If I'd paid my own money it would have gone back as it was probably twenty five quid.

I never have any problems with used records once cleaned on the RCM, '70s or '80s makes no difference: they are flat and noise free.

Fortuately for me I think modern (post 1999) music is not worth bothering with, it has all been done before and better, so I don't care about the quality of new viny releases or the compression on the CD version.

RichB
09-03-2015, 12:47
I have to concur. I hell of a lot of new 180 gm vinyl is not flat. either the pressing plat is faulty or they are being stored and transported inncorrectly ....it is annoying when a lot of cash is being spent.

Very frustrating. I think we've got to start demanding a better standard and returning inferior products. Its the only way the sellers will have to take any notice.

Haselsh1
09-03-2015, 17:40
Very frustrating. I think we've got to start demanding a better standard and returning inferior products. Its the only way the sellers will have to take any notice.

Yes, I have to agree totally. I sometimes think that I am asking too much but then at almost twenty pound a shot I also think I have the right to demand damn near perfection. Had I bought these discs from my local HMV, they would have been returned but I got them from Amazon and as usual with the internet, it is just way too much trouble. I guess it is always going to be the same though with people who love older, quality music and don't see much of a point with up to date releases. I recently bought Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon on 180g vinyl and it is stunning. I also bought Floyd's Wish You Were Here and it is truly dreadful.

The Barbarian
09-03-2015, 17:49
Shaun
I totally gave up & walked away, sold the lot. The really annoying thing is no one single person i sold them to complained about what i was complaing about.