PDA

View Full Version : Turntable Help Needed

Funkstar De Luxe
28-08-2009, 17:43
I've got a brand new Project Debut mkIII, with a new Ortofon OMB 20 cart / needle set up. I have a range of discs from old to new, and from old jazz LPs to new 12" dance record. The table was set-up correctly and is level. I use a EMU 1820M audio interface, with phono input.

My problem is that I seem to get distortion (roll off in high frequencies and general "clipping" like sound) on the last half of the disc. This happens with almost all of my records (although, interestingly, not all).

Could my old set-up have damaged my records? Or do I have a tracking problem? Anyway to verify this?

Thanks

Beechwoods
28-08-2009, 20:11
This sounds to me very much like a tracking problem. While previous poor tracking can wear records it's unlikely that this would give the result you describe, unless they were played in that state under extremely high tracking forces.

Setting up a turntable arm is a fine balance (literally) between forces in a number of different directions. And this will be dependent upon the cartridge you're using as much as the arm. When you say 'the table was set-up correctly' do you mean that it was set up with the cartridge you're using prior to delivery? If so, then it sounds like someone must have messed up, or it's been knocked out of alignment in transit and I'd suggest your best bet would be to take it back where you bought it, with a couple of albums that demonstrate the problem you describe, and ask them to check the arm alignment etc.

Other members with more experience may have additional advice, or contradiction!

Funkstar De Luxe
28-08-2009, 20:20
What I mean when I say set-up properly is just the basics (weight, antiskate). It's the original cart that came with the table, and everything is properly adjusted in the factory. I don't think there is anyway to adjust the Debut mk III - at least, nothing obvious... The needle looks like it's very straight, and making good contact with the record. Plus my alignment protractor seems to verify this - although I'm no expert.

It just seems that both my old tt (Debut mkII with 5E stylus) and my new Debut mkIII with 20 Stylus, have the same problems with inner groove tracking. It's driving me mad because I'm quite sensitive to the sibilance it causes.

The whole reason on buying a mkIII and new uprated stylus was to try and rid my music from this sibilance. It doesn't seem to have worked and now I'm £300 down :(

Funkstar De Luxe
28-08-2009, 20:25
here is an example of the problem. file is this "start of disc, one second silence, end of disc".

http://animarecordings.com/sibil.flac

Tony

Beechwoods
28-08-2009, 20:29
Have you got a friend with a TT on which you could play some of your vinyl? I still doubt that they are the problem, but it would do you good to discount the vinyl you're playing as the cause.

My experience setting up a couple of tonearms is that alignment is only one thing that needs to be right. The pressure at which the stylus tracks is equally important, and this can be fiddly to get spot on. And when not spot on you can get the result you describe. I used to have a Project Debut (Mk I with Ortofon OMB 5E catridge) and there isn't much to adjust I agree. It should be setup right at the factory... definitely get it checked out by a pro - the shop where you bought it or the one over the road from them - before doing anything else!

Funkstar De Luxe
28-08-2009, 20:35
I live in a remote village in Scotland, so I can't really take it to anyone... I bought it from superfi.co.uk this week, so I can't return it to them either.

I don't know anyone with a good deck (other than extremely poorly setup 'dj' tables). But what are the chances in both of my decks having the same problem? A vinyl LP should have the same fidelity from the start to the end, yes?

I've ordered some brand spanking new LPs, so I'll be able to check them out this week, hopefully eliminating my collection as the problem.

Spectral Morn
28-08-2009, 21:27
I live in a remote village in Scotland, so I can't really take it to anyone... I bought it from superfi.co.uk this week, so I can't return it to them either.

I don't know anyone with a good deck (other than extremely poorly setup 'dj' tables). But what are the chances in both of my decks having the same problem? A vinyl LP should have the same fidelity from the start to the end, yes?

I've ordered some brand spanking new LPs, so I'll be able to check them out this week, hopefully eliminating my collection as the problem.

How remote in Scotland Inverness direction ? I will be in Scotland in a week.

Regards D S D L