PDA

View Full Version : Beer Budget CD Players

cjm123
06-03-2015, 16:47
Hi Everyone :),

As getting air time on my system in the living room is like fighting a losing battle with the TV and X-Box distractions of the rest of the family:violin: I am thinking of putting a budget second system together for my computer room/office. Any advice on a good and reliable CD player whose sound is lively but won't strip the wall paper would be appreciated?

My initial thoughts re new are a Denon DCD520AE or Cambridge Audio something or other but what about second hand?

:cheers:

Chris

CageyH
06-03-2015, 17:11
Pioneer stable platter model, such as a PD-S703?
I have had mine from new. It's never missed a beat.

Stiffy
06-03-2015, 17:51
Depending on your budget, I've recently bought a Sansui CDD 201V like new, sounds nice, optical & digital outs, crap remote control. Paid £50

dantheman91
06-03-2015, 18:34
Seconds on the Pioneer PDS-703 modified the chip in mine sounds like no other player in excess on £500 i bought it for £20

Or the Technics SLPG-490 is a top rated player too for good reason it punches well above its weight.

rdpx
06-03-2015, 18:38
suggestion:

take the fuse out of the XBOX plug and TV?

otherwise I am looking for something that sounds similar for my mum and the little Marantz systems seem to be pleasing a lot of people and by all accounts are actual proper amps (25-60WPC depending) also start at maybe £200 on ebay [for the 603].

Specifically thinking of the MCR603 or newer MCR610.

Similar vein is the ARCAM SOLO MINI or CAMBRIDGE AUDIO ONE.

These all (apart from the Arcam) have web and streaming etc stuff so your kids would probably enjoy taking that over as well thus forcing you into the shed with an old Steepletone short wave radio.

:rolleyes:

There is also a wee DENON that seems ok.

Then again I may have TOTALLY misunderstood your request as I just saw you only want a CDP....

cjm123
06-03-2015, 19:56
Thanks Guys for the ideas and recommendations. Not really looking for a mini hifi but will look into the Pioneer PDS 703 and Sansui 201V which I hadn't thought of.

Thanks again.

Chris

Theadmans
06-03-2015, 20:03
I know your pain re : getting air time in the lounge.

My son has a weekly swimming lesson at 6pm on a Friday which my wife takes him too. So I just pour myself a large glass of Ardbeg or Laphroaig every Friday night and get to enjoy my system in the lounge for once a week.

However, for other times when Strictly Celebrities on Ice Factor is on TV I retire to my Son's bedroom. I bought a Denon DM30 Mini System for "him" for £40 off ebay. This thing is actually pretty good - CD, amp and Tuner with Mission designed speakers. I feel like a teenager again listening in the bedroom lying on his bed ! :lol:

BTW - I also have a Pioneer PD-S705 Stable Platter CD Player (similar to 703 previously mentioned) in my lounge system (it is brilliant for the £39 I paid for in mint condition - although obviously I never get to hear it !).

The Barbarian
06-03-2015, 20:51
If i have to use a CD player it's always the Techy 'SL-P770'..The go really cheap..

You'll notice false information there was two players above this the 'SL-P990 & 'SL-P1000' was top range.

hoRzNlgvu0c

Ronksley
06-03-2015, 21:08

As getting air time on my system in the living room is like fighting a losing battle with the TV and X-Box distractions of the rest of the family:violin: I am thinking of putting a budget second system together for my computer room/office. Any advice on a good and reliable CD player whose sound is lively but won't strip the wall paper would be appreciated?

My initial thoughts re new are a Denon DCD520AE or Cambridge Audio something or other but what about second hand?

:cheers:

Chris

I picked up a Denon DCD 700Ae 2ndhand for £50 about 18months ago really pleased with it good detailed sound very musical really a pleasure to listen to and plays any Cd which other players apart from the Marantz have had a dicky fit with
Before the Denon was using the Panasonic DMREX78 as a Cd player and its was pretty unispiring and tiring havent compared the Denon with my other CD players as they are in another city But would deffinatley recommend getting one I have no idea how 500 models compare with 700 ones

struth
06-03-2015, 21:45
I just picked up a Pioneer 717 dvd player for CD use(not arrived yet). I already have one and used to have 2. great for the money and built like tanks.

Stiffy
07-03-2015, 02:38
Grant's just reminded me I've also got a Sony DVP S7700.
Cool piece of kit and also built like a poop parlour.
Didn't pay much for that either.
There are plenty of bargains to be had, just put a wanted post in the classifieds section and see what comes up.

struth
07-03-2015, 10:11
Grant's just reminded me I've also got a Sony DVP S7700.
Cool piece of kit and also built like a poop parlour.
Didn't pay much for that either.
There are plenty of bargains to be had, just put a wanted post in the classifieds section and see what comes up.

some of these older dvd players are way better sound wise than modern cd players especially if used as transports. they were high end. dvd wise no one wants them due to no hdmi upscaling etc so are dirt cheap

agk
07-03-2015, 12:49
The Sony DVP S7700 is a great shout. The one mentioned was mine and it is a fantastic, heavy beast. Sounds good too of course.

You mentioned an older Denon and that's a good shout too. That period of theirs sounded good to me and there are many out there.

struth
07-03-2015, 16:58
This just landed today. top quality and only a couple of marks really. no remote but I already have 2 anyways....£30....a bargain afaic

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA0N1gxNjAw/z/K0cAAOSwBLlU80Y4/$_57.JPG

ReggieB
07-03-2015, 17:15
I really like the sony xb930. That's the CD in my study system. It's got a really good drive and you can pick them up for less than 30 beer tokens on ebay.

The Black Adder
07-03-2015, 18:26
Anyone must be bonkers not to give one of these a go... But because it won't read CD-R's it fall short of desirable. But it plays CD-RW's perfectly fine.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?35645-Cheap-DVD-player-as-a-transport-ever-tried-it&p=604015#post604015

I have one of these and it's stonking. SACD too! - If that turns you on.

What you get here folks is over engineering at it's very best.

The Black Adder
07-03-2015, 18:30
This just landed today. top quality and only a couple of marks really. no remote but I already have 2 anyways....£30....a bargain afaic

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA0N1gxNjAw/z/K0cAAOSwBLlU80Y4/$_57.JPG

For £30 it's a bloody nice player indeed... Job done for that amount of layout.

cjm123
08-03-2015, 21:17
Thanks everyone, I am really surprised :thumbsup: by the range of options suggested most of which I have never thought about. I suppose I have a worry about the reliability of old CD machines as you hear horror stories of laser assemblies failing and not being able to be serviced etc but perhaps they were made better then?

Certainly seems like Pioneer, Sony and Denon are well respected makes so will have a closer look at them.

My thanks again to you all

Chris :)

Michael loves music
19-03-2015, 10:45
Does anyone know if they have a volume button on the remote control ??

dave2010
19-03-2015, 11:06

As getting air time on my system in the living room is like fighting a losing battle with the TV and X-Box distractions of the rest of the family:violin:I also feel your pain.

A couple of points - (1) do you drink very expensive beer? :) (2) is your office big enough to cope with the kit? Loudspeakers - or are you going to use headphones?

Re the size thing, I bought some kit a few years ago - an amp (Marantz) and a CD player - the latter was "thrown in", though probably not a good buy. When I got the amp home I realised that it is really far too big for the missus and the living room - so it's been relegated to storage for the while. Trying to put it in a small room just wouldn't work. Maybe you have a huge office?

Roy S
19-03-2015, 11:34
Does anyone know if they have a volume button on the remote control ??

I have a PD8700 that has variable out which can be controlled from the remote, I have used it successfully just with a power amp.

cjm123
28-03-2015, 09:36
Hi Dave,

My office is only 10 x 7 ft so you make a good point and some of the japanese gear seems to be getting bigger. I think I could accommodate some small bookshelf speakers though and mount them on the wall.

cheers

Chris :)