PDA

View Full Version : Arcam Delta 80 tuner - any good?

REW
05-03-2015, 17:58
I had an Arcam T21 for years (too long ago to remember) and fancy an Arcam Delta 80 'cos, frankly, they look interesting. I listen to radio 2,3 and 4 with a JVC TX1L at the moment which sounds very clear though its silver case jars a bit. This is all trivial stuff but can anyone comment on the tonality of the Arcam? Neutral, bright (I doubt it) or...?

Thanks

Stiffy
05-03-2015, 18:07
I had an Arcam T21 for years (too long ago to remember) and fancy an Arcam Delta 80 'cos, frankly, they look interesting. I listen to radio 2,3 and 4 with a JVC TX1L at the moment which sounds very clear though its silver case jars a bit. This is all trivial stuff but can anyone comment on the tonality of the Arcam? Neutral, bright (I doubt it) or...?

Thanks

I've only ever heard a Delta tuner once a long time ago and can't recall what model it was but I seem to remember it having a warm analogue sound.

shane
05-03-2015, 19:29
Unusually, the Delta 80 is a proper analogue tuner very similar to the T21, but with a digital bit bolted on the side purely to drive the display. Sounds very similar to the T21, ie very good indeed!

REW
05-03-2015, 20:18
Unusually, the Delta 80 is a proper analogue tuner very similar to the T21, but with a digital bit bolted on the side purely to drive the display. Sounds very similar to the T21, ie very good indeed!

Indeed Shane, I have read about the curious way the display is created. I remember liking the T21 (with A60 amp and Kef Concertos, ahhh, getting misty eyed). "Warm analogue sound" John - a bit pipe and slippers these days maybe?

Any one using one currently?

shane
05-03-2015, 20:38
Any one using one currently?

Yup, me.

shane
05-03-2015, 20:51
I bought mine to replace my T21 which developed a fault that no-one seemed to be able to rectify. Soundwise there's little to choose between the two, which is understandable dsince the analogue side is virtually the same. I certainly wouldn't regard the Delta as a significant sonic upgrade. Both are excellent tuners.

REW
05-03-2015, 21:34
Yup, me.

Haha! So you are a fan then Shane!

I bought mine to replace my T21 which developed a fault that no-one seemed to be able to rectify. Soundwise there's little to choose between the two, which is understandable dsince the analogue side is virtually the same. I certainly wouldn't regard the Delta as a significant sonic upgrade. Both are excellent tuners.

Have you tried other tuners recently and if so, could you compare the T21/D80 sound with them?

shane
05-03-2015, 23:03
The only other tuner I've owned was a delapidated Troughline 3 in the late 70's, so memory's a bit vague, but the Arcams were in the same sort of area. Clean, clear and warm, with no edginess or hardness. Very BBC, for want of a better description. I've never been much good at describing what I hear, I'm afraid!

REW
05-03-2015, 23:30
No, that's very helpful actually Shane, thanks.

twotone
09-03-2015, 20:38
I've done the FM tuner 'thang' and tried loads, think I had an Arcam Alpha for a bit anyway I've had an Audiolab 8000T (fantastic), top of the line Sony seventies tuner, Creek 2040 or something, Leak Troughline, Leak Sterofetic (best of the lot BTW IMO), AR T21 (very very good), Technics seventies tuner and a few others.

I've now got a Denon network player which has an AM, FM & Internet tuners, it is bleeding fantastic, cost me £200 and I love it.

Listen mainly to Radio 4FM and the occasional AM football broadcast and also to FIP Paris internet radio which is absolutely fantastic with no adverts and 24/7 music from Blues to Opera and everything in between.

Wouldn't be bothered now with old tuners, too many of them are too old and are basically done in.

I do have a very good external FM ariel BTW.

Tony