PDA

View Full Version : Roksan tabriz arm on my sl1210??

The Vinyl Adventure
28-08-2009, 09:30
i have done a bit of a u-turn on my 1210 plans since yesterday (im fickle like a girl when it comes to hi-fi)
i have pretty much decided im going to sell the xerxes now but as i have seen the turntables without arms going for decent money on ebay im thinking put the arm on the 1210
its a tabriz with a artemiz counterweight (you can see it in the picture if you click on the link in my sig)

is this possible?
could i do it my self?
would it be a good option?

im not sure why i didnt think of it before...

chris@panteg
28-08-2009, 09:47
I think the roksan uses the same mounting as Rega 'but not sure if so then yes ' ask Dave Cawley

The Vinyl Adventure
28-08-2009, 10:04
I have a feeling your right on that

Jason P
28-08-2009, 10:46
Hamish,

I've a silver Sound HiFi rega armboard if you want it. Has all bolts etc. for placing directly on your 1210. Little used. PM me if interested.

Jason

DSJR
28-08-2009, 12:05
Apart from the tricky counterweight, Roksan's arms were pretty darned good. I'd give it a go if I were you. I also heard the Arta-Xerxes plug-in phono stage many times at Jimmy's place and it always sounded great to me, easily reproducing recording/venue differences (if ever you see one for sale)...

The Vinyl Adventure
28-08-2009, 15:38
right, so its happening... i really cant belive i didnt think of this before!
does anyone know of anyone who might have tried this, i cant find anything on the internet anywhere about anyone trying it! i was hoping to find someone saying how good it sounds! but no joy!

The Vinyl Adventure
28-08-2009, 15:39
Apart from the tricky counterweight, Roksan's arms were pretty darned good. I'd give it a go if I were you. I also heard the Arta-Xerxes plug-in phono stage many times at Jimmy's place and it always sounded great to me, easily reproducing recording/venue differences (if ever you see one for sale)...

i agree about the counterwieght.. its just a rubber ring with a pendulem.. its a pain in the ass to adjust with any level of precision

speakers-1989
29-08-2009, 18:28
Hamish,

Just out of Curiosity, does your Tabriz have the Zi specs? I like the sound of the Tabriz Zi arm, Tim has one on his Xerxes with the intelligent counter weight.

Nice tonearm!!

The Vinyl Adventure
29-08-2009, 18:54
I think it is the zi, but I don't know how to identify any of the other aspect of the upgrade other than the de-coupled couterwieght! If you can tell me any other ways I can identify the upgrades it would be usefull! I have never quoted it as zi as I thought there might be a posibility of it being just an upgraded couterweight! Would you belive I got the whole roksan deck with arm as is and oc9 for £250 :)

The Vinyl Adventure
29-08-2009, 19:00

I have seen this arta-xerces stage, is that likely to be compatible with the 1210, could I use my xps2 pay to power it if I managed to find one?

Alex_UK
29-08-2009, 19:04
Would you belive I got the whole roksan deck with arm as is and oc9 for £250 :)

What with your Techie and now this confession, I'm imagining you as the David Dickinson of the Hi-Fi world - how orange are you really, Hamish? ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
29-08-2009, 19:12
I wa actually saying this to a mate earlier, I have been very lucky with turntables! Maybe I should work on the neon skin tone mad hair and interesting eyewear!

If mr speakers-1989 doesn't know....If anyone out there is aos land knows about roksan tonearms an can provide me with identifying info on the difference between zi and non zi Tabriz I'd be tres interested!

The Grand Wazoo
29-08-2009, 20:08
xps2 pay to power it if I managed to find one?

Hamish, I seem to remember from the photos in the what do you look like thread that you have a full head of hair.

You will therefore not be requiring an XPS 2 pay just yet.

speakers-1989
29-08-2009, 21:22
I wa actually saying this to a mate earlier, I have been very lucky with turntables! Maybe I should work on the neon skin tone mad hair and interesting eyewear!

If mr speakers-1989 doesn't know....If anyone out there is aos land knows about roksan tonearms an can provide me with identifying info on the difference between zi and non zi Tabriz I'd be tres interested!

Hamish,

I don't know, sorry. So I can't really tell.

Don't you like your Xerxes anymore?

speakers-1989
29-08-2009, 21:30
Sorry for asking,

Is both the Roksan Tabriz and Artemiz Rega geometry?

Ammonite Audio
30-08-2009, 06:49
...If anyone out there is aos land knows about roksan tonearms an can provide me with identifying info on the difference between zi and non zi Tabriz I'd be tres interested!

Try http://www.vinylengine.com/library/roksan/tabriz.shtml

Spectral Morn
30-08-2009, 09:14

One has the intelligent counterweight and one does not, just having a Rega type counterweight. The Arm geometry is similar to Rega. I also think that Zi has slightly better arm cable, but I wouldn't want to swear to that, not sure.

Both versions of the arm are very good and the ZI is better but I really don't like the ZI counterweight, it swings about to much and swings when queing etc, swings when tracking a warped record....I just don't get it. However despite my reservations it does sound better than the non-Zi version. The Roksan Nima arm is, however IMHO a better arm. Though it has to be the first one, with the un-broken internal and external arm cable, new one has a break in it. Not good on suspended decks unless the suspension is very smooth or tight....wobbly jelly suspension decks not best with the Nima IMHO.

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
30-08-2009, 13:51
Hamish, I seem to remember from the photos in the what do you look like thread that you have a full head of hair.

You will therefore not be requiring an XPS 2 pay just yet.

:doh:
you know what i mean!
i have seen a arta xerxes on one on ebay and it looks like it has a power suply that looks like a xps.. is that right?

The Vinyl Adventure
30-08-2009, 13:54
Hamish,

I don't know, sorry. So I can't really tell.

Don't you like your Xerxes anymore?

its alright... it just doesnt exite/hold atention theres nothing really wrong with it really theres just nothing that right with it either!
i actually like the 1210 in its current state more .. there is plenty wrong with how it sounds .. but it it ticks a lot more of my boxes than the xerxes ever did

DSJR
30-08-2009, 18:04
Apparently the Xerxes was as tricky to fettle as an LP12, despite its apparent simplicity.

The thing with the Techie is that it's easy to be "hands-on" with - you don't need a snotty dealer (as I was) to get it going right.

The Vinyl Adventure
30-08-2009, 18:22
Apparently the Xerxes was as tricky to fettle as an LP12, despite its apparent simplicity.

The thing with the Techie is that it's easy to be "hands-on" with - you don't need a snotty dealer (as I was) to get it going right.

That's a big reason I now own a 1210 and am sacking off the xerces. Everything about it seems so fragile

speakers-1989
30-08-2009, 19:39
its alright... it just doesnt exite/hold atention theres nothing really wrong with it really theres just nothing that right with it either!
i actually like the 1210 in its current state more .. there is plenty wrong with how it sounds .. but it it ticks a lot more of my boxes than the xerxes ever did

My cousin has 2 Technics 1210's, they have a nice sound to it, nice good bouncy bass:)

Are you going to sell your Xerxes then?

speakers-1989
30-08-2009, 19:44
I know this question sounds silly.

Does the inside of the Roksan Xerxes look similar to the LP12? I've never opened my Xerxes before, so I don't know.

Spectral Morn
30-08-2009, 20:20
I know this question sounds silly.

Does the inside of the Roksan Xerxes look similar to the LP12? I've never opened my Xerxes before, so I don't know.

No, not even close. A Linn LP12 is wee buns to set up compared to a Roksan. That deck is a nightmare to build and set up. I have built and set up quite a few Roksans .... thats one TT I am not sorry I don't have to build anymore.

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
30-08-2009, 21:12
My cousin has 2 Technics 1210's, they have a nice sound to it, nice good bouncy bass:)

Are you going to sell your Xerxes then?

depends on how good the1210with tabrizis... but yeaah prob sell it at some oint... it could afordme a timestep i recon

speakers-1989
31-08-2009, 13:28
depends on how good the1210with tabrizis... but yeaah prob sell it at some oint... it could afordme a timestep i recon

Let us know how you get on with the Tabriz on the 1210. Should be very interesting:eyebrows:

DSJR
31-08-2009, 17:42
Shame for you Shane is that I don't think the R200 will fit the SL1200, 'cos it's too tall. It certainly won't fit the SL150 sadly..

speakers-1989
31-08-2009, 19:10
Shame for you Shane is that I don't think the R200 will fit the SL1200, 'cos it's too tall. It certainly won't fit the SL150 sadly..

Not even interested in the SL1200, to happy with the Xerxes. Plus we sold the SL150 months ago.

Soon I want to send my R200 to Audio origami for a check up, As the Anti-skating could be gone. And maybe I might treat my self to a little rewire too.

The Vinyl Adventure
31-08-2009, 19:40
can i get a bit of advice on removing the arm from the xerxes

do i need to just undo this big nut?

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/P1010421.jpg

if so can anyone tell me what size it is so i can get an apropriate tool

also when i come to mounting it on the 1210, i asume there is a place to atatch the ground cable as there is on the xerxes

can anyone give me any pointers or help in mounting the arm to the arm board, how will i know how to set the vta(?) and how do i know how to get the arm pointing in the right direction if it is just one bolt?

any help - much apriciated

The Vinyl Adventure
31-08-2009, 20:18
might something like this be of use to me?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VTA-ADJUSTER-AND-SPEEDY-NUT-FOR-REGA-RB250-RB300-ETC_W0QQitemZ190327371958QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTurnta ble_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c506538b6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

or is it likely to not be nessasary?

The Vinyl Adventure
31-08-2009, 22:24
anyone out there in aos land? i am really confused about how the arm will ness be pointing in the right direction when it is mounted using a single round bolt... surely it could rotate?.. does this matter?
i think my google skills are failing me as i cant find any info online about this ..
am i just being daft, will it make more sense when i start trying to do this

The Grand Wazoo
31-08-2009, 22:32
Hamish,
Just nip the bugger up tight, it shouldn't turn.
Even if it does move a little, the geometry should be ok because it'll be rotating about the same centre which the arc of the arm is moving around

The Vinyl Adventure
31-08-2009, 22:35
cheers chris

and what about the angle at which i tighten it?
do i just line it up by eye so the arm is paralel to the side of the deck when its in the rest?

The Grand Wazoo
31-08-2009, 23:08
Unless I'm missing something very fundamental, I don't see how it would matter, as long as it's not overhanging the edge of the plinth or the platter, it should be ok. I'd line it up so it looks something like right to the eye & then crack the big nut down.

As the headshell will prescribe a perfect arc relative to the pivot point (assuming the bearings are ok), it really shouldn't make a gnat's knacker of a difference which way the arm is pointing. You might like to check that the end stop (if there is one) will lie past the point of the runout groove of a record.

If I'm wrong, maybe someone will correct me, but I don't think so. Whatever you do though, treat the arm with respect when you handle it, you don't want to end up with nadgered bearings.

Cheers

The Vinyl Adventure
31-08-2009, 23:15
Unless I'm missing something very fundamental, I don't see how it would matter, as long as it's not overhanging the edge of the plinth or the platter, it should be ok. I'd line it up so it looks something like right to the eye & then crack the big nut down.

As the headshell will prescribe a perfect arc relative to the pivot point (assuming the bearings are ok), it really shouldn't make a gnat's knacker of a difference which way the arm is pointing. You might like to check that the end stop (if there is one) will lie past the point of the runout groove of a record.

If I'm wrong, maybe someone will correct me, but I don't think so. Whatever you do though, treat the arm with respect when you handle it, you don't want to end up with nadgered bearings.

Cheers

cheers, that pretty much the answer i was hoping to hear!
im still slightly worried about vta but i guess i can work that out as and when i need to!
you can trust me that iam going to treat it with the upmost of respect, i really want this to work out well!
justneed to find the apropriate size spanner now and im pretty much set.. well once the mounting board turns up on wednesday!

Jason P
01-09-2009, 08:44
Hi Hamish,

You've got it as far as mounting goes. I had a VTA adjuster for the OL/Rega, but you can always use washers if it's miles out.

The ground lead will be obvious once you take the Techie arm off AFAIR. My OL arm could move around slightly, but not a worry as it's just replicating the arc of the arm.

You can seat the arm in the deck without bolts, and see what the VTA is doing before tightening. Might give you a clue as to whether or not it's miles out. The VTA adjuster you looked at looks ideal, and similar to what I had.

HTH

Jason