PDA

View Full Version : A viable alternative to Sky

Stiffy
03-03-2015, 19:09
I am sick and tired of Sky putting their costs up and publicising offers that are available to 'new customers only' they're obviously not really bothered about looking after the one's they've already got.
What really hacks me off is there doesn't appear to be any real alternative meaning Sky can charge whatever they like and get away with it.

I've been with Sky for around 12 years and this time my subscription has just shot up from £33.00 to £61.00 a month due to an offer ending that they gave me last year because I said I would cancel.
This appears to be the normal procedure for getting discount: Phone them, ask for a better deal, get nowhere, ask for cancellations, get a better deal.
I'm fed up with it. If they valued their customers they would offer the best deal without the customer having to resort to threats of cancellation.
I rang them this afternoon and have had to knock Movies & Sports on the head to reduce the cost because I'm not prepared to pay £732.00 a year on top of the TV Licence.
To be honest I never watch sport except Moto GP which is on BT Sports and I get it free anyway.

According to my planner we mainly watch the normal Free to view channels, Sky 1 & Atlantic.
If it wasn't for my kids watching quite a few of the kids channels, most of which are not available free I'd cancel the whole lot.

I've spent a few hours today trying to make sense of BT's offering and gave up. Virgin Media is poor in my area apparently and I'm not going with Talk Talk…..so what to do?
Is there any other viable alternative out there or am I forever to remain in the clutches of Sky?

struth
04-03-2015, 01:42
Just cancel it. It's totally u necessary. I watch dvds a nd record stuff I like on free view plus listen to music

Marco
04-03-2015, 08:11
Hi John,

Why not take a more proactive approach and (slowly) wean the kids off of watching the cartoon channels, as that seems to be where the bulk of your spending is, and get them involved in a healthier activity and/or something which keeps them occupied that doesn’t cost anything, or at least much less than the funding of your Sky subscription?

You’d be surprised sometimes at how the simplest of things can keep them entertained, as long as they’ve got mum and dad’s attention... ;)

That way, your partner and you can enjoy the basic Sky channels, and save a fortune, perhaps spending the money saved on taking the kids out to the zoo, Center Parcs or something like that?

For me, it’s about YOU taking control of your own life, and that of your family, and not allowing others to control it for you. Don’t allow ’the system’ to eat you up! :)

Marco.

Macca
04-03-2015, 08:39
Stick with Sky. TV is good for you and if you stop your kids from watching it they will end up as freaks and misfits.

I've seen it happen.

I cancelled my cable tv and lived with freeview for a year or so. It didn't have any of the channels I watch except BBC4. In the end had to resume my subscription because I missed South Park and they don't show that on any free to air channels. £65 a month for all the channels plus silly-meg broadband and a landline (which I never use). Not too bad.

Marco
04-03-2015, 08:42
Lol - I presume that that post is tongue-in-cheek?

Marco.

Macca
04-03-2015, 09:00
No. Not at all. I'm a big fan of TV as was my father before me. Granted there is a lot of shit on it too but nowadays with 70 odd channels you can always find something worthwhile to watch.

Marco
04-03-2015, 09:35
No worries. I’m just all for anything that gets kids moving, and their backsides off of sofas watching TV or playing computer games, as I can see the damage it causes, in all sorts of ways.

Kids these days need less TV and more fresh air!

Marco.

RichB
04-03-2015, 09:58
No worries. I’m just all for anything that gets kids moving and their backsides off of sofas watching TV or playing computer games, as I can see the damage it causes, in all sorts of ways.

Kids these days need less TV and more fresh air!

Marco.
Ky4uYnsF3kc

daytona600
04-03-2015, 10:01
spend the £61 a month on concert tickets & CD/LPs

shane
04-03-2015, 10:08
My Sky subscription lapsed about 10 years ago, so since then we've only received the free-to-view channels. You know what? My life isn't diminished by the slightest degree. Of the channels that are available we only regularly watch the BBC as the whole family finds the continuous adverts on the other channels moronic and intrusive to such an extent that they completely destroy the whole viewing experience.

It does however leave me the problem of having become a complete Game Of Thrones addict. Devious tactics have had to be employed to satisfy that one....

Marco
04-03-2015, 10:21
Ky4uYnsF3kc

Very poignant, and containing a message worth absorbing! :thumbsup:

Marco.

Marco
04-03-2015, 10:22
spend the £61 a month on concert tickets & CD/LPs

What about the kids? ;)

Marco.

skimminstones
04-03-2015, 10:26
Go to free view and torrent the shows you are interested in

struth
04-03-2015, 11:35
occasionally watch bbc but not often. mostly yesterday channel and film4 with a scattering of more4 and dave. along with a decent dvd library it is more than enough. sky are always phoning me offering me their tv...last time free for a year. told them you couldnt pay me to take it:lol:

Macca
04-03-2015, 11:42
I tape everything I want to watch at the start of the evening. Then I can watch at leisure and fast forward through the adverts. Not seen one in years. Everything I watch is pure entertainment, no news or current events since it is all either a blatent tissue of lies or just factually wrong.

Mostly it is old stuff. Last night a couple of Star Trek episodes plus Rising Damp, The Likely Lads and an episode of Pawn Stars.

The thing with children is if you make a fuss and deny them Telly then it will become a big deal in their lives. Let them watch it anytime they want with no comment and they quickly get bored and start running around again. If my nieces and nephews are anything to go by, anyway.

Marco
04-03-2015, 11:51
The thing with children is if you make a fuss and deny them Telly then it will become a big deal in their lives. Let them watch it anytime they want with no comment and they quickly get bored and start running around again. If my nieces and nephews are anything to go by, anyway.

No-one’s saying to deny them watching TV; merely to restrict the amount of time that they spend sitting in front of it, and to encourage more physical activity - and even more importantly -interaction with their parents, as that’s vital to their successful development into healthy and well-adjusted adults.

The worse thing you can do with kids is just plonk them down in front of the TV and ignore them, because it’s makes life easier, and because mum and dad are too busy doing other ‘more important’ things!

Marco.

Macca
04-03-2015, 11:59
I don't know, that was how me and my brothers were raised and it never did us any harm. Paying children too much attention is a lot worse than not paying them enough IMO

Marco
04-03-2015, 12:40
I don't know, that was how me and my brothers were raised and it never did us any harm. Paying children too much attention is a lot worse than not paying them enough IMO

Hey, Martin, whatever works best for the family concerned. As ever in life, it’s a question of getting the balance right :) Also, remember that in our day things were different, and there weren’t so many distractions, also people generally were less rushed and had more free time to spend with their families.

For me, especially as Del is a teacher, I can see the damage caused to children, both physically and mentally, and ultimately as a result, academically, from too much exposure to TV and/or technological paraphernalia (phones, etc), and not enough physical exercise or parental interaction - and even kids interacting with other kids of the same age [talking to each other, rather than sending texts], which is also very important.

Therefore, with kids, when it comes to TV watching, I’m more anti it, than for it, especially when it succeeds to damage their healthy development.

Like I said though, it’s question of getting the balance right and also treating their TV watching as an educational tool, as well as a fun thing, rather than merely a cop-out for lazy parents to try and ’shut them up’, who can’t be arsed putting the required effort in to be proper parents.

Let’s just say that: ‘Here’s a packet of crisps, Bobby, now sit down in front of the telly and give me peace [and ultimately become as fat and stupid as mummy and daddy]’, is *not* the way to go.

Anyway, we’re veering wildly off-topic.

Marco.

Macca
04-03-2015, 13:18
Well I can only speak from experience. I was a kid in the 1970s, both parents worked full time, my father did not get in from work until gone 8pm or he was working abroad, my mother had to look after elderly relatives in the evenings. My brothers and I understood even at a young age not to bother our parents when they had a rare chance to sit down and rest, we had no problem with that and so we either made our own entertainment or we watched the TV.

We wouldn't dream of bothering an adult with anything unless it was something serious like an injury.

Contrast that with my brothers' children who are constantly demanding attention from any adult they can find - and they get it as well (except from me, naturally ;) ). I'm hoping they grow out of it but it does concern me.

struth
04-03-2015, 13:28
Inclined to let kids do their thing most of the time but always you should be there for them. and some time every day should be family time with no distractions. mealtimes with kids should be at a table together with no tv etc.

i know its not always possible with everyone all the time but you should try!

Macca
04-03-2015, 13:44
Breakfast was at the table but every other meal except Sunday dinner was eaten on your knees watching the telly.

It is odd to me what other people consider important when it comes to children but I'm happy to accept it is me out of step and not everyone else.

Went out for a meal with one of my brothers and his two kids (about 2 and 4 yrs old). My nephew was making such a racket, singing at the top of his voice, I told him to pack it in, which he did immediatley.

Later my brother told me off, saying I was stifling the child and that if you tell them to be quiet they may never speak again. What a load of old bollocks.

Kit1cat
04-03-2015, 13:44
Buy a Roku box and subscribe to now tv, that will get you sky 1, sky atlantic and 11 other channels for £6.99 a month.

struth
04-03-2015, 13:59
Breakfast was at the table but every other meal except Sunday dinner was eaten on your knees watching the telly.

It is odd to me what other people consider important when it comes to children but I'm happy to accept it is me out of step and not everyone else.

Went out for a meal with one of my brothers and his two kids (about 2 and 4 yrs old). My nephew was making such a racket, singing at the top of his voice, I told him to pack it in, which he did immediatley.

Later my brother told me off, saying I was stifling the child and that if you tell them to be quiet they may never speak again. What a load of old bollocks.

your bro has got it wrong. kids need rules. my wifes sister was like that and her kids grew up wild and troublesome. now they dislike her for not giving them the right guidelines as to behaviour

Stiffy
04-03-2015, 16:20
your bro has got it wrong. kids need rules. my wifes sister was like that and her kids grew up wild and troublesome. now they dislike her for not giving them the right guidelines as to behaviour

Agreed

Stiffy
04-03-2015, 16:21
Buy a Roku box and subscribe to now tv, that will get you sky 1, sky atlantic and 11 other channels for £6.99 a month.

I'll look into this one.

struth
04-03-2015, 22:30
Just purchased an Amazon Fire tv box. I get prime free anyways as the boy uses my account :eyebrows: and he has sky. I have a box that does it to the tv but its a bit of a faff so splashed out on this ....and a new camera too....as I have sold quite a few things with more to go.
was watching stuff on the pc tonight and realised that there is a lot of stuff on prime I can get for nowt :eek:

struth
05-03-2015, 23:57
Amazon Fire tv box comes tomorrow so hope to give an opinion on it soon. I have already earmarked a number of shows to watch when I am in the mood :eyebrows:
Also got a new camera coming...a Canon again this time and will see how it matches up v my rather good Sony. The Fire box allows me to stream music and also photos up to a cloud etc....and has an optical out so can connect it to the dac. also pretty portable with double band wifi so will be easy to move it from upstairs to downstairs. Even has voice control.:D

Firebottle
06-03-2015, 07:30
Beam me up Scotty :eyebrows:

struth
06-03-2015, 09:01
Beam me up Scotty :eyebrows:

Oh, I do hope so;)

Macca
06-03-2015, 11:59
Voice activation. Very 21st century. Does it talk back to you in a soothing femake voice like the computer in 'Dark Star'?

If so I want one.

struth
06-03-2015, 13:40
alas not or at least i dont think it does. :lol: not overly keen on talking silicon tbh. i probably wont use it as these things can rarely understand me...not that i have much of an accent. anyti.e i have tried those things only once did i get correct response...usually it just switches to German:eek:

I must stop those ranting speeches

Stiffy
06-03-2015, 13:57
I'm looking at 'Now TV' from Sky.
It looks quite good and I can't really see any pitfalls.

It's basically a little white box that streams content according to which of 3 different packages you opt for.
There's a choice of Movies, Sport or Entertainment.

I'd go for the Entertainment option which would give me most of the channels we like but would loose if I ditch my Sky contract and went to Freesat.
It costs £19.99 for the box including a three month pass to the Entertainment package which costs £6.99 a month thereafter. There's no contract so it's basically pay as you go TV.

That means 12 months TV would cost me £82.90 including the initial costs instead of £396 to stay with my Sky contract, excluding the rip off TV Licence of course.
Sounds too good to be true.

struth
06-03-2015, 14:15
STILL http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/06/5cbd89e2a5b7897d7c635d8db3928329.jpg[emoji61]

The Barbarian
06-03-2015, 15:04
We Just bought Smart TV's job was a good un cancelled Sky.

Macca
06-03-2015, 15:17
Pal of mine had a chipped box: all the channels including sport and films, £11.99 a month. Don't think he bothered with the licence either so there's another big annual saving right there. Don't know where you get the box chipped, though, and I suppose it is technically illegal....

Marco
06-03-2015, 15:49
I only get it and BT Sport for the football.

When you’re a Scottish football fan/Celtic supporter, and live in a part of the UK that thinks the whole of it is only interested in English football (biased English media), despite the interests of others that should be taken into consideration on terrestrial TV, throughout the UK, you have to pay for SKY Sports, if you want to be able to follow your team at all! ;)

Marco.

Macca
06-03-2015, 16:09
And there was me just the other day thinking we have too much coverage of the Scottish league.... ;)

Marco
06-03-2015, 16:31
Aye, of course, lol…

When you consider that, combined, there are probably more Celtic and Rangers fans, scattered all over the UK, than there are than just about the support of any team in the Premiership, you’d think that would warrant BBC1’s ‘Match of the Day’ featuring highlights of their games….? Or should it be renamed, more accurately, as the EBC, rather than BBC, as that’s where the bias clearly lies.

Well, maybe not Rangers games now, as it seems that they’ll soon be rubbing knees with the juniors.

Marco.

Macca
06-03-2015, 16:40
I seem to recall them showing highlights from the Scottish league but that would be back in the '70s or early '80s.

Or perhaps that was on ITN on Sunday afternoons?

I know that they used to do it 'cause I remember you would get highlights from Cowdenbeath vs Falkirk or similar and it would just be footage of some blokes running around in a snowstorm on top of a moor. No stadium, not even a bit of terracing and about ten people watching from the touchline.

EDIT and both 'keepers would always get nutmegged at some point.

Marco
06-03-2015, 17:13
Not that I remember on the BBC. Up in Scotland, on BBC Scotland, no less, which is a regional section of the BBC, you used to get highlights from the English Division One, or whatever the top league in England was known as then, at the end of Sportscene, which always featured highlights of the games of whoever was playing Celtic or Rangers.

Therefore, if they can do that on what is supposed to be a Scottish-orientated regional channel, they can surely do the same thing on the main regional BBC 1 channel, on Match of the Day, and show highlights of the Scottish SPL games (or pick even just one of the games the bigger teams are involved in), after they’ve covered the games in the English Premiership.

Seems fair, no? There would certainly be more than enough interest, given the level of support for ‘the old firm’, throughout the UK, not to mention those who support all the other Scottish teams. I also think that some English football fans would quite enjoy watching the likes of Celtic play, as they play very entertaining football.

After all, I believe that non-English residents in the UK pay the same for their licence fee, as residents of England do, therefore they should be catered for equally, or at worst, have their football interests considered in some way, rather than almost completely ignored! :rolleyes:

Marco.

struth
06-03-2015, 20:22
A quick bit of feedback on the AMAZON FIRE TV BOX. Packaging is superb and everything well made. Connection was quick and simple. Processor is lightning fast on Amazon prime streaming and no lag going up to my 32" tv via hdmi cable(only thing not included). HD streaming is very good even on my slow broadband connection as well. It knew who I was and what I watch now. Voice activation seems to work as well. Currently watching ep 2 of season 1 Klondike.
For the money I am impressed, as IT WORKS and does what it does very well....so far anyways.

struth
06-03-2015, 20:32
Just taken a pic of it with my new camera and wirelessly sent it to my phone...that's cool.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/06/bd0f9431f6d3728eab6dfbef83aaa874.jpg

skimminstones
06-03-2015, 20:34
can you check something? Seems you cant stream from a NAS on this and also it wont play mkv files? Anyway you can check if the website is correct or not?

struth
06-03-2015, 21:00
Not currently and maybe never. There is a usb socket which has yet to be allocated for use, which may have interesting uses.

Tim
06-03-2015, 21:48
Buy a Smart TV, bin SKY and the TV licence and get a Netflix or Amazon Prime Account. I binned my TV licence nearly 2 years ago now and its the best thing I ever did - mind you I don't have a woman (or kids) in the house addicted to soaps and trash TV, so it was easy for me and I'm not into football either. I have never had a SKY TV account and wouldn't give them a penny. The Amazon Fire TV is a fantastic bit of kit too, bought one on offer after Christmas for just £64.00. http://theaudiostandard.net/thread/1041/amazon-fire-tv

I have more than enough to watch with Netflix/Amazon and the BBC iPlayer is superb and I love a life without adverts. I've much better things to do with my life than watch crap TV that controls peoples lives in the evenings ;)

struth
06-03-2015, 22:57
Buy a Smart TV, bin SKY and the TV licence and get a Netflix or Amazon Prime Account. I binned my TV licence nearly 2 years ago now and its the best thing I ever did - mind you I don't have a woman (or kids) in the house addicted to soaps and trash TV, so it was easy for me and I'm not into football either. I have never had a SKY TV account and wouldn't give them a penny. The Amazon Fire TV is a fantastic bit of kit too, bought one on offer after Christmas for just £64.00. http://theaudiostandard.net/thread/1041/amazon-fire-tv

I have more than enough to watch with Netflix/Amazon and the BBC iPlayer is superb and I love a life without adverts. I've much better things to do with my life than watch crap TV that controls peoples lives in the evenings ;)

Yes I am really happy with this so far. Top quality and well worth the money if you have or intend to have Prime membership, which offers a lot for your cash.

...I will add after seeing that pic above that this Canon camera really takes a good picture; warts and all....that unit looks in the picture like it is goosed but it is not. must remember not to allow anyone to take a close up of me:lol:

Marco
16-03-2015, 20:41
And there was me just the other day thinking we have too much coverage of the Scottish league.... ;)

There’s a pertinent example of the BBC’s very obvious bias towards English football, right now on EBC 1, sorry, BBC 1…

Here, IN WALES, we’re currently being subjected to live coverage of an ENGLISH FA Cup clash of two giants of world football, Reading vs. Bradford City, FFS!! :doh:

Is it the same up in Scotland, Grant?

Now, when Celtic were playing Rangers last month, in the Scottish League Cup - a match with hundreds of thousands of interested fans, ALL OVER THE UK, where were the BBC then, in terms of providing coverage of that game, throughout the UK, not just in Scotland??? :rolleyes:

Makes me seethe….

Marco.

struth
16-03-2015, 20:54
There’s a pertinent example of the BBC’s very obvious bias towards English football, right now on EBC 1, sorry, BBC 1…

Here, IN WALES, we’re currently being subjected to live coverage of an ENGLISH FA Cup clash of two giants of world football, Reading vs. Bradford City, FFS!! :doh:

Is it the same up in Scotland, Grant?

Now, when Celtic were playing Rangers last month, in the Scottish League Cup - a match with hundreds of thousands of interested fans, ALL OVER THE UK, where were the BBC then, in terms of providing coverage of that game, throughout the UK, not just in Scotland??? :rolleyes:

Makes me seethe….

Marco.

Yep, just checked and it is on here too...dunno why

Marco
16-03-2015, 21:25
Oh, I think I can probably hazard a guess……..

You can see my point, though? How many folk in SCOTLAND, I wonder, are going to be interested in watching Reading vs. Bradford City?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I’d love to have seen the viewing figures!

Marco.

struth
16-03-2015, 21:30
Oh, I think I can probably hazard a guess……..

You can see my point, though?

Marco.

Forgotten who the 2 sides were already lol. Funny but I never watch footy now.....seem to have fallen out of love with the beautiful game.

....ah well

Marco
16-03-2015, 21:38
Shame, but it happens… Do you agree that there’s an English bias?

Marco.

struth
16-03-2015, 21:45
Shame, but it happens… Do you agree that there’s an English bias?

Marco.

Oh Yes; there always has been. ...and not just in football, but all sport and tbh in tv period......Kinda mirrors life in general.

Marco
16-03-2015, 21:48
Indeed, Bro’ - and it needs highlighting and fighting against…

Marco.

struth
16-03-2015, 21:57
Oddly I still play Soccer Manager online. Thats why I keep up to date with football stats wise and players improving and losing it etc. different formations; that sort of thing..
I have won some 120 trophies

Marco
16-03-2015, 22:08
Cool - nice one :)

Marco.

struth
14-04-2015, 18:52
As an update to my Amazon Fire box, I have to say it has continued to be good value.Shows and films keep coming and the box has been updated a few times, and I believe the usb socket now is in use for saving games etc onto an external device; not that I play games on it.
They are also releasing a fire stick for £35 in the next day or two and as a prime member I got to buy one for £19, which I took up. I can use it downstairs :eyebrows:

Stratmangler
15-04-2015, 06:06

It's because a number of Welsh Clubs choose to play in the English leagues rather than restrict their activities to the obscurity of the Welsh leagues.
So the FA Cup is of relevance to somebody in the town where you live.

Marco
15-04-2015, 06:17
Reading vs. Bradford City... Mmm.. Which Welsh teams were involved there, then? :hmm:

Marco.

Stratmangler
15-04-2015, 06:27
Reading vs. Bradford City... Mmm.. Which Welsh teams were involved there, then? :hmm:

Marco.

You're missing the point.
Off the top of my head you have Swansea City, Cardiff City, Newport County, Wrexham & Colwyn Bay have all played in the FA Cup.
There will be more than a handful of football supporters in Wales who are interested in what goes on in the FA Cup.

Marco
15-04-2015, 06:35
More so than the hundreds of thousands of Rangers and Celtic fans, living throughout the UK, who could only watch their (highly-anticipated first meeting in YEARS, since Rangers were relegated into obscurity), Scottish League Cup clash, on BBC 1 Scotland (thus thousands of fans missing out seeing the game, who were not living in Scotland, unless they had SKY TV), rather than the NATIONAL coverage on the BBC it should've been given (broadcast on national BBC 1), as indeed was the Reading vs. Bradford City FA Cup match? ;)

Whichever way you cut it, mate, the BBC is biased towards English football, or biased against Scottish football, yet folks in Scotland pay the same amount for their licence fee as folks in England, yet don't receive equal consideration of their interests... Fair? I think not!

Marco.

Stratmangler
15-04-2015, 08:26
More so than the hundreds of thousands of Rangers and Celtic fans, living throughout the UK, who could only watch their (highly-anticipated first meeting in YEARS, since Rangers were relegated into obscurity), Scottish League Cup clash, on BBC 1 Scotland (thus thousands of fans missing out seeing the game, who were not living in Scotland, unless they had SKY TV), rather than the NATIONAL coverage on the BBC it should've been given (broadcast on national BBC 1), as indeed was the Reading vs. Bradford City FA Cup match? ;)

Whichever way you cut it, mate, the BBC is biased towards English football, or biased against Scottish football, yet folks in Scotland pay the same amount for their licence fee as folks in England, yet don't receive equal consideration of their interests... Fair? I think not!

Marco.

Does the FA Cup get screened North of the Border on BBC1 Scotland?
No!
The game has got sod all to do with Scottish football.

And that's why the BBC in England do not broadcast Scottish League games South of the border. It's got sod all to do with English football.
There are Welsh teams playing in the English leagues, and that's why the BBC provide coverage of competitions the Welsh sides play in.

It's got sod all to do with an English bias on the BBC and everything to do with which side of the border you live, - you get programming relevant to the region you live in.
Which funnily enough means that I don't get local news from Scotland, Wales or any area of England outside of the Northwest.

Anyone in England with Sky TV can access BBC1 Scotland, and it's the same with Virgin Media.
I have BBC1 Scotland on right now, just to prove a point (I currently have a Virgin Media contract, and I used to have a Sky contract before that).
So how many of these hundreds of thousands of fans don't have access to these programmes now? ;)

Park & Bike
15-04-2015, 09:07
I came to exactly the same conclusion (as OP)! It depends on what you want to watch, but we simply bought a Humax Freesat box and connected it to the Sky dish (having cancelled Sky). This gives us pretty much all we need (not big main stream sport fans). I slightly miss the movie channel, but to be honest there was not much on there I wanted to watch and we still have Channel 4 movies and there is always the option to download from iTunes etc. The main downside is the user interface, which is not as slick as Sky's.

edit: Apologies did not notice all the earlier replies

struth
15-04-2015, 09:21
I came to exactly the same conclusion (as OP)! It depends on what you want to watch, but we simply bought a Humax Freesat box and connected it to the Sky dish (having cancelled Sky). This gives us pretty much all we need (not big main stream sport fans). I slightly miss the movie channel, but to be honest there was not much on there I wanted to watch and we still have Channel 4 movies and there is always the option to download from iTunes etc. The main downside is the user interface, which is not as slick as Sky's.

edit: Apologies did not notice all the earlier replies

nothing to apologise about. this is what this thread is supposed to be about Don. Alternatives to sky!

struth
15-04-2015, 13:22
Fire Stick has arrived.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/15/47594abd6fd2f12c8fe7eefde7192dad.jpg

Opening the nice box everything needed is there in a double layer

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/15/48db1585ac662c14320734891cfe8728.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/15/02a86f352d00ee508e67d561bbcb2fad.jpg

Easy to connect and set up.. Under 5 mins including the video
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/15/ef419b5fec0bd98671b72511c3ab3841.jpg

Now watching How to Murder your Wife[emoji12]

Audio Advent
15-04-2015, 13:41
Is there any other viable alternative out there or am I forever to remain in the clutches of Sky?

Yes, the REAL sky !!

Seriously, get yourself outside instead of infront of the telly - I gave up telly many years ago after a couple of years of housemates slobbing infront of the TV after work, eating, then going to bed to repeat day after day.

It was like being in a home for elderly but with everyone in their 20s, I could see the grim reaper having lots of time to sharpen his scythe as no-one was going anywhere fast.

That said, I spend so much time indoors on the computer on days off.. I need to take my own advice too. At least it's interactive I guess.

Audio Advent
15-04-2015, 13:43
Anyone heard of PopcornTime? Looks great... shame it's piracy and illegal. Everything to hand, on tap.

Marco
17-04-2015, 07:47
Hi Chris,

Sorry for the late reply - been busy over the last couple of days...

Does the FA Cup get screened North of the Border on BBC1 Scotland?
No!

YES!!! And *that* is the whole point, mate... If you scroll back a few pages, you'll see that when the Reading vs. Bradford City FA Cup match was on BBC 1, it was also being shown in Scotland, as I asked Grant, and he confirmed at the time that it was. I can confirm that the match was also being shown in Wales.

Therefore, the question is this: why does the BBC give NATIONAL coverage to an English FA Cup match between two minor teams, and not to a Rangers vs. Celtic Scottish League cup match, which would've been of interest not only to hundreds of thousands of Rangers and Celtic fans, throughout the UK, but also 1000s of neutral football fans there, who love the intensity and uniqueness of 'old firm' games?

The only answer seems to be because the BBC considered the former as being 'more important'.... Therefore, exhibiting blatant bias towards England.

Here's the thing: how many folk in Scotland do you think would've been interested in watching Reading play Bradford City? I'd love to have seen the viewing figures! Yet it was foisted upon folks there by the EBC.....

Do you think that there just might have been more interest in the Rangers vs. Celtic League Cup match, by viewers in England and Wales (given how many fans there would've been of both teams in those countries), than there would've been in a Reading vs. Bradford City match in Scotland?? Mmm...... It doesn't take a genius to work that one out ;)

Anyone in England with Sky TV can access BBC1 Scotland, and it's the same with Virgin Media.

That is fundamentally NOT the point. *This* is the point:

I'm a Celtic fan, living in Wales, and pay the same licence fee as a Reading or Bradford City fan, but I can't watch a very important and highly anticipated first clash between Celtic and Rangers in YEARS, free on my local BBC1 channel (without having to pay for satellite TV), yet if I were a Bradford City or Reading fan, living in Scotland, I can tune into BBC1 Scotland and watch an English FA Cup match where my team is involved.

Tell me, then, how is that right or fair? :scratch:

Why are my viewing requirements not catered for equally, given that I pay the same licence fee as my English counterpart??

I shouldn't have to pay for satellite TV to watch my favourite football team play in a Scottish League Cup game, when the BBC can broadcast an English FA Cup game in Scotland, FREE on BBC1 Scotland. If they can do that, then they should've done the same thing with the Rangers vs Celtic match in England and Wales.

Simples!! :exactly:

All I seek is fairness and parity.

Marco.

Kit1cat
17-04-2015, 08:37
I see the Now Tv Entertainment option is now offering 13 channels instead of 11.

Spectral Morn
17-04-2015, 10:30
Got a letter from Sky telling me the price is going up by £3 for me :(. All the reasons they offer for this increase the improvements won't be of any use to me.

So I can cancel part of the subscription to off set the increase, or boot it, keeping the internet and phone. Problem is for me all I want to watch is only on Sky.

All these services spread things thinner and thinner and make it harder to watch what you want on one platform.

Started watching Outlander on RTE two (Southern Irish channel) looks like the rest of the first season will only be on Amazon Prime now :( So I get Amazon (not going to happen) or wait and buy the DVD/Blu Ray..... more cost.

Frankly I miss the days of there only being two platforms, terrestrial and Sky and increasingly I resent having to pay the TV license.

So maybe some day I will wake up and no longer care a jot about TV and cancel the lot, but I can't see that happening.

Regards Neil

Darren
17-04-2015, 12:00

skimminstones
17-04-2015, 14:50
I wanted to watch outlander as well but I'm not subscribing to Amazon prime as well as sky and paying a TV licence. Having so many different operators is meant to increase choices but frankly all it does for me is encourage me to download them elsewhere.

struth
17-04-2015, 15:24
think amazon prime is a better deal than sky

Spectral Morn
17-04-2015, 16:22
think amazon prime is a better deal than sky

How?

You pay more relatively speaking for less. Same as Virgin, Now Tv, You Vu etc.

Regards Neil

struth
17-04-2015, 16:37
£75 a year gives you free next day deliveries, free programs on several machines anywhere. Free e books. cloud music streaming. cloud photo streaming. I'd say its a pretty good deal.

skimminstones
17-04-2015, 18:48
id have absolutely no interest in paying for free next day deliver or any form of cloud streaming. They dont seem to have enough tv content to warrant me paying them and im buggered if im paying £75 a year to get e-books.

Stratmangler
18-04-2015, 16:38
YES!!! And *that* is the whole point, mate... If you scroll back a few pages, you'll see that when the Reading vs. Bradford City FA Cup match was on BBC 1, it was also being shown in Scotland, as I asked Grant, and he confirmed at the time that it was. I can confirm that the match was also being shown in Wales

I'll complain to the DG in the strongest terms.
The BBC should show stuff relevant to the regions, and not do a general overview.
So Scotland should get Scottish football, and Wales should get Welsh football.

Scotland should be made a special case and not ever show any English football for free on the BBC seeing as how you dislike us so much.

Therefore, the question is this: why does the BBC give NATIONAL coverage to an English FA Cup match between two minor teams, and not to a Rangers vs. Celtic Scottish League cup match, which would've been of interest not only to hundreds of thousands of Rangers and Celtic fans, throughout the UK, but also 1000s of neutral football fans there, who love the intensity and uniqueness of 'old firm' games?

The only answer seems to be because the BBC considered the former as being 'more important'.... Therefore, exhibiting blatant bias towards England.

Here's the thing: how many folk in Scotland do you think would've been interested in watching Reading play Bradford City? I'd love to have seen the viewing figures! Yet it was foisted upon folks there by the EBC.....

Was the Old Firm league cup match shown on the BBC in Scotland?
If the BBC had paid for it in Scotland then they should have made it available in the rest of the UK.

Do you think that there just might have been more interest in the Rangers vs. Celtic League Cup match, by viewers in England and Wales (given how many fans there would've been of both teams in those countries), than there would've been in a Reading vs. Bradford City match in Scotland?? Mmm...... It doesn't take a genius to work that one out ;)

I think quite likely too.
Was the match shown on BBC TV in Scotland?

That is fundamentally NOT the point. *This* is the point:

I'm a Celtic fan, living in Wales, and pay the same licence fee as a Reading or Bradford City fan, but I can't watch a very important and highly anticipated first clash between Celtic and Rangers in YEARS, free on my local BBC1 channel (without having to pay for satellite TV), yet if I were a Bradford City or Reading fan, living in Scotland, I can tune into BBC1 Scotland and watch an English FA Cup match where my team is involved.

Tell me, then, how is that right or fair? :scratch:

Why are my viewing requirements not catered for equally, given that I pay the same licence fee as my English counterpart??

The BBC have paid for broadcasting rights for the FA Cup.
They probably have a similar deal with the SFA with respect to the Scottish Cup.
As far as I know they do not have any rights to show the League Cup games North or South of the border, so no, you shouldn't be able to get Scottish league cup games on terrestrial TV.
If the BBC does show Scottish league cup games North of the border I'd want to know why Scotland gets special and preferential treatment.

I shouldn't have to pay for satellite TV to watch my favourite football team play in a Scottish League Cup game, when the BBC can broadcast an English FA Cup game in Scotland, FREE on BBC1 Scotland. If they can do that, then they should've done the same thing with the Rangers vs Celtic match in England and Wales.

Simples!! :exactly:

All I seek is fairness and parity.

Marco.

You don't have to pay for satellite TV to access the BBC regional broadcast - pull your viewing card out and look for what's available.
And as I said, I don't think the BBC has rights to show league cup games either side of the border, so until that has changed your argument is dead in the water.

Marco
18-04-2015, 18:55
I'll complain to the DG in the strongest terms.
The BBC should show stuff relevant to the regions, and not do a general overview.
So Scotland should get Scottish football, and Wales should get Welsh football

Not sure if that was meant to be serious or not... Personally, I'd just like as much TV coverage (by all relevant channels), throughout the UK, of ALL the major football matches, regardless of whether they involve Scottish or English teams. At the moment, as far as blanket UK coverage goes, English games get priority, which for me shows bias, especially as we all pay the same license fee!!

Scotland should be made a special case and not ever show any English football for free on the BBC seeing as how you dislike us so much.

Oh come off it, don't give me that pish! I never said that. All I seek is PARITY, in terms of which games the BBC consider as being 'important' to cover - and in that respect they should acknowledge that a Celtic vs Rangers League Cup clash certainly commands as much interest, amongst fans throughout the UK (in reality the interest would be much greater), as a Reading vs. Bradford City FA Cup clash.

Was the Old Firm league cup match shown on the BBC in Scotland?

Yes, and where I am, to receive to BBC 1 Scotland, I need to pay for the installation of a satellite dish, regardless of whether or not receiving it afterwards that way, through SKY, is free or not. Therefore, if I didn't have a satellite dish fitted, I would only be able to watch BBC1 Wales, and as such would've missed the Celtic vs. Rangers game in question.

If the BBC had paid for it in Scotland then they should have made it available in the rest of the UK.

Precisely - and that's my WHOLE point! Just indeed as they did with the Reading vs. Bradford City FA Cup game.....

Was the match shown on BBC TV in Scotland?

Yes. If you lived in Scotland, you would have seen the match on terrestial TV, without any need for a satellite dish.

The BBC have paid for broadcasting rights for the FA Cup.
They probably have a similar deal with the SFA with respect to the Scottish Cup.
As far as I know they do not have any rights to show the League Cup games North or South of the border...

That's where you're wrong.

As I've said, the BBC were covering the Scottish Cup clash between Celtic and Rangers. The match was not on SKY Sports, or even BT Sport (which I also have to subscribe to and pay even more for) in order to watch Celtic games down here in Wales, because sometimes they're shown on one of the SKY Sports channels, and sometimes on BT Sport, and sometimes again on BBC1 or BBC2 Scotland (if it's a cup game, not league games).

If the BBC does show Scottish league cup games North of the border I'd want to know why Scotland gets special and preferential treatment.

Well, I can't comment on that, but I don't really see what you mean by preferential treatment?

You don't have to pay for satellite TV to access the BBC regional broadcast - pull your viewing card out and look for what's available.

That point is rather moot. The main point is that if BBC1 can provide national coverage of an FA Cup match between Reading and Bradford City, then they can do the same with a Celtic vs. Rangers Scottish Cup match, especially as there would be considerably more fans, living throughout the UK, interested in watching the latter, than the former!

And as I said, I don't think the BBC has rights to show league cup games either side of the border, so until that has changed your argument is dead in the water.

Well, quite clearly they do north of the border, so it's YOUR argument, not mine, muchacho, which is dead in the water!! :ner:

;)

Marco.

Marco
18-04-2015, 20:31
Another valid example of the BBC's English bias is when the England International team is playing a (virtually meaningless) friendly against some 'no-mark' opposition, such as Switzerland, or some other such bollocks, and we (in Wales) have it foisted upon us, whether we want to see it or not, often in the process cancelling hugely popular programmes (for some, like my wife) such as Eastenders... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yet, when the Welsh international team are playing such games, are the matches also shown by the BBC in England? No!

I rest my case.

Marco.

Audio Advent
20-04-2015, 19:41

Read these:

Independent: Cancel-sky-at-your-peril-man-spends-96-minutes-in-chat-but-fails-to-get-rid-of-service (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/cancel-sky-at-your-peril-man-spends-96-minutes-in-chat-but-fails-to-get-rid-of-service-10190407.html)

Telegraph: Sky-wouldnt-let-me-leave-until-I-had-discussed-my-account-for-90-minutes (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/household-bills/11534642/Sky-wouldnt-let-me-leave-until-I-had-discussed-my-account-for-90-minutes.html)

Problem solved! You ain't ever leaving Sky mate ! :lol:

Audio Al
20-04-2015, 19:46
I cancelled several years ago when my contract expired , no problems at all :)

struth
20-04-2015, 19:51
Do it on live chat via the net page. It doesnt cost you anything:D

Audio Advent
20-04-2015, 20:05
Apparently that's not the case today - things change quickly at call centres under orders from the top (to not let people leave).

Audio Advent
20-04-2015, 20:07
Do it on live chat via the net page. It doesnt cost you anything:D

That's what the guy did - took 96 minutes to then be told he couldn't do it because he'd cancelled the Sky Movies part of his package a couple of weeks before and they refuse to process more than one cancellation at a time.

struth
20-04-2015, 20:13
Never had sky tv but recently cancelled my broadband and phone with them.. . Probably best to cancel it 1 bit a month if they are on separate orders. My daughter did it that way. went down to just the basic then dumped that. They came back with a everything deal at half price for a long time and other bits etc.
That was their tack with me re the BB, but told them that they ought to have offered me the deal in the first place.

Audio Al
20-04-2015, 20:16
Same with me

I was told my monthly payment was going up £3 , it was already at £68

I insisted I wanted to cancel and was then asked " Would you stay if we offered you everything you had e for £48 a month "

I then told them to F OFF :steam:

skimminstones
20-04-2015, 20:21
Read these:

Independent: Cancel-sky-at-your-peril-man-spends-96-minutes-in-chat-but-fails-to-get-rid-of-service (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/cancel-sky-at-your-peril-man-spends-96-minutes-in-chat-but-fails-to-get-rid-of-service-10190407.html)

Telegraph: Sky-wouldnt-let-me-leave-until-I-had-discussed-my-account-for-90-minutes (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/household-bills/11534642/Sky-wouldnt-let-me-leave-until-I-had-discussed-my-account-for-90-minutes.html)

Problem solved! You ain't ever leaving Sky mate ! :lol:

DOnt know why these idiots put up with that. You have told them you wish to cancel, thats enough. Just cancel the direct debit after that.

Mr.Ian
22-01-2016, 14:41
I had huge problems when I tried to cancel sky after the failed to honour the deal retentions gave me when I asked to leave. They basically said I wasn't allowed to leave until they had agreed I could. In the end I cancelled the DD and wrote the CEO promising to see them in court if the chased me for non payment and to report them to Ofcom. Even then it wasn't easy and they never refunded the over charges that arose from them not honouring the retentions deal. Oh and they forgot to tell me that they werent going to honour the retentions deal that I had agreed to. I consider them a totally unethical business and wont ever use their services again. RANT OVER

Have you looked at Kodi?

It can be installed on a laptop/pc etc, Amazon fire box/stick and it gives access to a huge range of programmes.

Getting a full sky package with a similar look would probably mean paying for an illegal feed but there is so much free stuff available its almost unbelievable.

I am very much a novice but have just installed it on a laptop for my GF so she can watch Chinese TV. The web has some great set up guides to follow

TazSob
08-06-2016, 13:18
I had huge problems when I tried to cancel sky after the failed to honour the deal retentions gave me when I asked to leave. They basically said I wasn't allowed to leave until they had agreed I could. In the end I cancelled the DD and wrote the CEO promising to see them in court if the chased me for non payment and to report them to Ofcom. Even then it wasn't easy and they never refunded the over charges that arose from them not honouring the retentions deal. Oh and they forgot to tell me that they werent going to honour the retentions deal that I had agreed to. I consider them a totally unethical business and wont ever use their services again. RANT OVER

Have you looked at Kodi?

It can be installed on a laptop/pc etc, Amazon fire box/stick and it gives access to a huge range of programmes.

Getting a full sky package with a similar look would probably mean paying for an illegal feed but there is so much free stuff available its almost unbelievable.

I am very much a novice but have just installed it on a laptop for my GF so she can watch Chinese TV. The web has some great set up guides to follow

Kodi is just amazing... get kodi, add a couple of add-ons and your away with unlimited programs and music. Been using it for a couple of years now and have it on many systems here and at friend and family homes. Don't download the builds you get on YouTube though they are full of junk and never update correctly, if you anyone needs helps setting it up give me a shout.

Taz

Virtual-Symmetry
08-06-2016, 13:40
O yes never again.. I went out & bought the wife a couple of SMART TV's. She can stream anything she misses from catch up no problem, no need for recording any more.

Tim
08-06-2016, 14:17
Not had a TV for sometime now and it's a great feeling :)

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Virtual-Symmetry
08-06-2016, 19:18
Tis Tim if she puts it on im out of there

:D

twickers
08-06-2016, 19:59
I've just bought one of the Now tv boxes with the 3 month Entertainment pack for £14. Seems to stream things pretty quickly with good picture. There are only 13 channels iirc and not the full Sky package, but I don't want hundreds of channels. Easy to cancel when the offer runs out.

Macca
09-06-2016, 11:54
, but I don't want hundreds of channels. .

I've found that if I don't have hundreds of channels I struggle to find something worth watching. Tried living with just Freeview for a bit but I missed South Park (amongst other things).

struth
09-06-2016, 12:05
Im the opposite martin.. Too many channels just causes me to switch off... Freeview plus amazon is more than enough for me. Most everything on sky etc is just ad nausia anyway

Tim
09-06-2016, 12:33
Tis Tim if she puts it on im out of there

I guess being single does have some benefits :)

Colin Wonfor
09-06-2016, 12:53
With a true smart TV or internet connection try this and free, Sky and other is a con, and the I player only seem to have dumb down TV, so no thanks

http://wwitv.com/

Just found this tons of stuff in the web.

http://www.freeintertv.com/view/id-3353/USA-Movies-0-1

Virtual-Symmetry
09-06-2016, 15:18
I guess being single does have some benefits :)

Having a man cave to totter off to is equally as benefical

hifinutt
10-06-2016, 03:14
i don`t spend any money on any subscription service , freeview is quite adequate and saves me £££££
can always buy a dvd if nothing on and they are pretty cheap these days

Macca
10-06-2016, 11:24
I'm trying to stop accumulating DVDs. Telly is also playing up so going to need a new one of those. Still thinking about sacking the lot off and just relying on Amazon Prime and you-tube. Would feel good to stop paying the BBC licence fee, they really are the worst organization ever.

Tim
10-06-2016, 11:28
Aye, a man cave is essential André ;)

struth
10-06-2016, 11:31
Box them up and stash them in a cupboard or summat.. A few years you may want them again. I did that with lots..after 5 years i found some i wanted again. The rest i give away or rebox... Doubt they will go completely out of fashion and if your bb goes down you may be glad of them

Macca
10-06-2016, 11:45
The DVDs? yes I won't get rid, I'm just trying to stop buying more. I was an early adopter and bought a copy of Halliwells and went through it and marked all the films I wanted to get. Think I have them all now bar a dozen or so, so it is not a bad collection, very little dross.

struth
10-06-2016, 12:07
The DVDs? yes I won't get rid, I'm just trying to stop buying more. I was an early adopter and bought a copy of Halliwells and went through it and marked all the films I wanted to get. Think I have them all now bar a dozen or so, so it is not a bad collection, very little dross.

I rarely buy any now myself but very occasionally.. Ive a few blu rays and if buying now i try to get them, and if its a remaster of a film i have of old film etc. Ive got a freeview box with recording facility and a terabyte of space so record stuff i dont have and lots of simpsons and timeteams ...i can then watch them when in mood at my leisure... Would be lost without it. Once its getting full i have a cull... It then has a clean up for a day itself and its ooo til it moves everything around.

Macca
10-06-2016, 12:12
That's why I like having the Virgin thing with all the channels. You can always find an episode of Time Team or something similar to watch, any time of day or night. Whether it is worth £500 a year or whatever it costs is a different matter.

struth
10-06-2016, 12:31
Plenty on c4 ,more4.. Get a recorder and start saving them.. Auto series record man:) save all thouse 500£ a year.

Floyddroid
18-08-2016, 05:35
I'm with Grant on this.