PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: valve buffer - to borrow or buy

montesquieu
02-03-2015, 21:50
Anyone got a valve buffer (EE BBS, Burston, iFi iTube, or somesuch) they are willing to loan me for a few weeks, or that they are looking to sell?

For an experiment :)

I'm very tempted by the little iTube and they don't cost a lot new ... but if at all possible I'd like to see if it does what I have in mind before I fork out.

Anyone?

Sovereign
02-03-2015, 22:25
PM sent

hughandella
02-03-2015, 22:35
Anyone got a valve buffer (EE BBS, Burston, iFi iTube, or somesuch) they are willing to loan me for a few weeks, or that they are looking to sell?

For an experiment :)

I'm very tempted by the little iTube and they don't cost a lot new ... but if at all possible I'd like to see if it does what I have in mind before I fork out.

Anyone?

iTube is v good I have to say ------ I can see you have a PM but if you want to borrow a MF X10D v3 you are welcome to try it ---- I genuinely like them both, the iFI is great to look at too though ( not wishing to ruin my own market !) and in my earlier system it was great, that said with current speakers the MF has been a revelation -- just down to system matching as ever so if you want to compare its not a problem -- cheers

The Black Adder
03-03-2015, 20:01
FYI - The MF X10-D is a great little buffer.

hughandella
05-03-2015, 10:42
FYI - The MF X10-D is a great little buffer.

agreed Jo - tks

further to PM Tom let me know about the MF gear, as discussed have a X10-D original ( round version ) with or without matching X-PSU and/or X10-D v3 version just with original - although more substantial - PSU ....................... mix and match to see what suits best. I'll be looking to sell them if you're not looking to borrow
cheers

The Black Adder
05-03-2015, 11:39
Yes, the round version with the X-PSU or a custom made PSU would be best. I did the Rock Grotto mods on my X10-D's and the difference was very worth it.

They hold their value like all of the round (the best IMO) versions of MF gear. IMO MF gear has become very tiresome since they dropped the cylindrical designs. I had the full job lot of those units and loved them. But they must have been too expensive to produce, oh well...innovation can't withstand greed I suppose.

How are you getting on with looking for a buffer, Tom? Also, keep your eyes out for a Nick Gorham valve buffer, always heard great things about those. Pretty rare to find though.

hughandella
05-03-2015, 13:17
Yes, the round version with the X-PSU or a custom made PSU would be best. I did the Rock Grotto mods on my X10-D's and the difference was very worth it.

They hold their value like all of the round (the best IMO) versions of MF gear. IMO MF gear has become very tiresome since they dropped the cylindrical designs. I had the full job lot of those units and loved them. But they must have been too expensive to produce, oh well...innovation can't withstand greed I suppose.

How are you getting on with looking for a buffer, Tom? Also, keep your eyes out for a Nick Gorham valve buffer, always heard great things about those. Pretty rare to find though.

I tend to agree --- MF are a slightly frustrating company and I believe retailers aren't their biggest fans either ( or i may be being niaive ) but the constant changing of products and taking care to ensure hat the PSUs from one line invariably cannot power the next and so heavy discounting follows i feel hurts the brand when they have a good story to tell. I had a M1 DAC and it was great but that changed price about 5 times to my knowledge ! !! ..... I too like the original X series ( Xa2 is a great little amp as are X-A50s monoblocks ) and the X10D with PSU is a really nice combination and as the PSU powers 3 units you can also upgrade the lp phono too which I think was a decent stage --- the X-ACT seems more marmite but thats the way with DACs .... side by side i think the v3 is better than the original but if you introduce the PSU then the original becomes top for me --- but its all subjective which is why we have forums like this eh ? ...... hopefully Tom will like whatever he gets to try ---- iFI is lovely gear aswell and really liked the iTube ------ all by definition must introduce the heresay of distortion but they help with impedance mismatches too I believe .... whatever certain systems sound nicer to me with them in so i must like a bit of distortion I guess -- and I can live with that ... its probably why I don't like speakers intended for studio use generally, they maybe more detailed but I prefer something a bit less harsh sounding ---- to my ears its like the x factor singers -- they can do all the pyrotechnics and go up and down like Maria Carey on helium so possibly they have the skills but I'd rather listen to a proper singer myself ............ that should be just enough to upset a few people on here lol !!