PDA

View Full Version : Some of my retro gear.

aob9
02-03-2015, 20:27
Rooted out these images but there's more to come.

The Barbarian
02-03-2015, 21:15
Vintage gear you mean? Retro means it's modern but has aspects that make it look Vintage. Sorry about that 'Retro' is a word i dislike especially when used in the wrong context..

Marco
02-03-2015, 21:31
Respect for the Walkman, Anthony :respect:

With a good recording on quality NOS tape, it’ll piss all over yer iPods bollox!

Marco.

aob9
02-03-2015, 21:40
Vintage gear you mean? Retro means it's modern but has aspects that make it look Vintage. Sorry about that 'Retro' is a word i dislike especially when used in the wrong context..

VINTAGE it is then.

The Barbarian
02-03-2015, 21:41
:thumbsup: Music to my lugholes

aob9
02-03-2015, 22:05
Respect for the Walkman, Anthony :respect:

With a good recording on quality NOS tape, it’ll piss all over yer iPods bollox!
Marco.

Cheers Marco. This is one my favourites. NOS TDK AR. Lovely analogue sound and can be pushed hard to improve the S/N ratio. I tend to prefer good Type I tape over Type II or IV, although TDK SA from the '80's also sounds very good to my ears.

The Barbarian
02-03-2015, 22:12
The mid 80's 'SA-X' were a good all round tape.. if you can source NOS. I did not like what was on offer by the late 80's

Marco
02-03-2015, 22:44
Cheers Marco. This is one my favourites. NOS TDK AR. Lovely analogue sound and can be pushed hard to improve the S/N ratio. I tend to prefer good Type I tape over Type II or IV, although TDK SA from the '80's also sounds very good to my ears.

Yup, good choice, mate. I’m also a fan of most of the BASF range [and Memorex, too, if you can find them], the chromes are particularly impressive, but their Type Is are also quality. Do you make up compilations from your Pioneer T/T?

One of my fave things to do (when I have time) is making up compilations from my T/T of 7 and 12-inch singles (from the 80s), to play in my wife’s car, which has quite a nice Blaupunkt tape deck in it :)

Marco.

aob9
02-03-2015, 23:11
I record from LP to tape but need to invest in a better cart to improve separation and sound-stage. I'm limited to an AT95e at the moment but on a continuous search for something better at a reasonable price. Good carts are expensive and difficult to audition. I know my cassette deck and cassette choice are up for it because hi-res flac from my Fiio X3 through the Beresford DAC sound absolutely amazing on TDK AR with Dolby C. Some people don't like Dolby C but I cannot stand hiss and "C" does a great job of cutting it while maintaining HF. My DC2 has Dolby C circuitry so compatibility is not an issue.

I'm new here but I love chatting "analogue" . Most people just deride it.

The Barbarian
02-03-2015, 23:17
Your in good hands Tony i deride Digital dross

:eyebrows:

Marco
02-03-2015, 23:38
I record from LP to tape but need to invest in a better cart to improve separation and sound-stage. I'm limited to an AT95e at the moment but on a continuous search for something better at a reasonable price. Good carts are expensive and difficult to audition. I know my cassette deck and cassette choice are up for it because hi-res flac from my Fiio X3 through the Beresford DAC sound absolutely amazing on TDK AR with Dolby C. Some people don't like Dolby C but I cannot stand hiss and "C" does a great job of cutting it while maintaining HF. My DC2 has Dolby C circuitry so compatibility is not an issue.

Yeah, for some reason Dolby C always gets a bad rep, but I don’t mind it at all, although I usually record without without Dolby, as music sounds a bit more dynamic to my ears that way. Don’t mind a little hiss in between tracks, as long as it doesn’t intrude on the music :)

Check out the Nagaoka range of cartridges. They’ve got some superb designs, and some of them very well priced, offering loads of ‘bang for your buck’.

I'm new here but I love chatting "analogue" . Most people just deride it.

You’re in the right place then, as we love analogue on AoS. Those who deride it, do so either because their measurement-obsssed brains can’t cope with the notion of something having more distortion, yet sounding better - or they’ve never actually heard analogue, done well! ;)

Marco.