PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here bought valves from the NOS Tube Store?

Marco
02-03-2015, 18:04
Chaps, chap-ettes (and those who’re not sure yet :eyebrows:)…. I‘ve just bought some NOS 6SL7s, for my Croft preamp, from the NOS Tube Store: http://www.nostubestore.com/

Has anyone used them before? I found them very efficient and professional to deal with. Therefore, winging their way to Marco Towers, via 24-hour DHL Express Delivery, are:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/538/3YRAKN.jpg

1x Grade A, balanced, 'Heintz and Kaufman’ branded 1940s Sylvania VT-229 (6SL7GT).

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/537/k9uvYj.jpg

1 x Grade A, balanced, 1950s Sylvania JAN CHS 6SL7WGT. Mine is one of the dark-brown base types, with darker green writing.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/661/hgPIdS.jpg

1 x matched pair of RCA JAN CRC 6SL7GT with smoked glass [from the above stock].

Now and then I like to mix things up in the Croft, valve wise, and treat it to something a bit different! Looking forward to trying these valves, as they’re quite rare and come with a good pedigree. Review to follow, once they arrive! :cool:

Marco.

The Black Adder
02-03-2015, 18:11
I have, Marco.

Very good service indeed. Very fast shipping too.

I also had a problem with one 6SL7 where the base was cracked and he replaced it immediately.

So yes... All good in my experience.

Be good to see what your results are, as always :)

The Black Adder
02-03-2015, 18:12
BTW... the bad valve I had was one of the Heintz and Kaufman.

Marco
02-03-2015, 18:28
Hi Joe,

That’s interesting. They should really check for that sort of thing before the valves are shipped. However, yes, we’ll see what happens.

I’ve had excellent results recently with NOS 1959 RCA 6SN7GTBs, in the Copper amp, so I’m looking forward in particular to hearing the 1950s smoked glass RCA CDC-6SL7-GTs, to see if they do a similar thing in the Croft.

I haven’t tried the Sylvania VT-229s before, but I have had 1950s JAN CHS 6SL7WGTs, which sound stunning (really wide soundstage and 'out of the box' sound), but not in conjunction with the RCAs.

Anyway, tube-rolling is all just a bit of fun! :cool:

Marco.

Jimbo
02-03-2015, 18:49
Always like to hear about NOS valve suppliers as they usually have something interesting to try. Never used this company but will check them out for a few ECC83 for the small Croft amp:)

The Black Adder
02-03-2015, 18:50
I'd first try a 1950s JAN CHS 6SL7WGTs in the central position. I did and it was quite a change. Very good indeed.

I didn't like the Sylvania's so I sold them on. I tried them in the line and the phono stage. They were good, don't get me wrong but the brown based WGT's I got from you sounded much better and the Ruskie ones in the line.

Jo

Marco
02-03-2015, 18:57
Interesting, Joe. I’ve still got the 1950s Russian Melz factory ones (with metal bases) in the line stage, and they are superb, but I just fancied mixing it up a bit, so the matched pair of smoked glass RCAs will be going in there, just to see what they do instead :)

My intention is to try both the Sylvania VT-229 and JAN CHS 6SL7WGT in the central position, and see whether either can oust the red-base 1950s GE 5691, which is currently there. I have 1940s Tung-Sol VT-229s in the phono stage section, but I may also try the RCAs in there.

We’ll see what happens - it’s always good to have some quality spares, anyway, as back-up!

Marco.

Marco
02-03-2015, 19:06
Always like to hear about NOS valve suppliers as they usually have something interesting to try. Never used this company but will check them out for a few ECC83 for the small Croft amp:)

If you fancy a left-field recommendation, Jim, try the Toshibas: http://www.nostubestore.com/2012/09/toshiba-ecc83-12ax7a-japan.html

They’re relatively unknown in valve circles, and a bit of a sleeper… Every bit as good, IMO, as Telefunken 803S (with as similar ‘ballsy’ upfront sound), at a mere fraction of the price!

Marco.

Jazid
02-03-2015, 19:07
Another plus for NOS tubestore from me. not the cheapest but quality stock and honest, and quick service :)

Ah, just seen the link to Toshiba toobs. My tuppence would be for Matsushitas if they are available as they are Philips group and construction is essentially identical, the quality/performance is up there with the Mullard/Philips ECC83s in those I have had pass through.

Jimbo
02-03-2015, 19:33
If you fancy a left-field recommendation, Jim, try the Toshibas: http://www.nostubestore.com/2012/09/toshiba-ecc83-12ax7a-japan.html

They’re relatively unknown in valve circles, and a bit of a sleeper… Every bit as good, IMO, as Telefunken 803S (with as similar ‘ballsy’ upfront sound), at a mere fraction of the price!

Marco.

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the recommendation, I have asked for a quote:thumbsup:

Marco
02-03-2015, 19:35
No worries, mate. Let us know how you get on :)

Marco.

Valvebloke
02-03-2015, 23:02
... I also had a problem with one 6SL7 where the base was cracked and he replaced it immediately ...

Hi Joe,

That’s interesting. They should really check for that sort of thing before the valves are shipped ....

Could you tell if it was an old crack Joe, i.e. one that was a manufacturing or early-life defect, or could it have happened in transit ? The abuse that things get in the hands of couriers and the additional risk of seriously low temperatures in aircraft holds might have meant the valve was indeed fine before it shipped but not afterwards :(.

VB

Marco
02-03-2015, 23:09
Good point, Graeme, and not one I’d have considered. Glass, yes, but not bases…

Marco.

The Black Adder
03-03-2015, 01:11
Could you tell if it was an old crack Joe, i.e. one that was a manufacturing or early-life defect, or could it have happened in transit ? The abuse that things get in the hands of couriers and the additional risk of seriously low temperatures in aircraft holds might have meant the valve was indeed fine before it shipped but not afterwards :(.

VB

Hi. No idea but he was great about it and I had a new one in a matter of days, no questions asked which was great service.

I'd imagine it was down to transit more than anything, but all good regardless.

Riislingen
03-03-2015, 08:49
+1

Used them 2-3 times without any issue.

Marco
03-03-2015, 10:54
Good to know, Mikkel. For me, the major advantage of using them is that they’re in Europe, not in somewhere like the States, so a) stuff gets here [to the UK] quicker, and more importantly, b) isn’t subject to tax and import duty!!

Therefore, with a good selection of quality valves to choose from (certainly all the ones that I use), and excellent service, it’s a no-brainer using the NOS Tube Store, instead of sellers outside of the EU, on ebay.

:exactly:

Marco.

Riislingen
03-03-2015, 17:53
Agree completely Marco. Tubemonger for instance is brill and expensive, add to that the agony of duty and VAT.

I believe NOStubestore is in Turkey ?

<edit>

Well Turkey is not Europe, yet at least. Greece maybe.

Marco
03-03-2015, 22:58
Yes, they are indeed located in Turkey. I’ve always considered Turkey as being part of Europe, even though geographically that’s not the case. I guess it's because their football teams feature in European football competitions! :)

Anyway, tracking info received. My valves left Istanbul earlier today….

Marco.

Marco
04-03-2015, 10:46
Well, they arrived safely about half an hour ago - and look great: nice original military boxes, and all the valves are matched and balanced. First-class packaging too, so that’s another thumbs up for the NOS Tube Store. Great service! :thumbsup:

Now the fun begins. Firstly, make sure all the pins are nice and clean, and then we go a-tube-rolling…. :cool:

Marco.

P.S Joe, the JAN-CHS 6SL7GT (VT-229) wasn’t an H&K one, but rather is Sylvania branded, with a date code of Nov 1944.

For reference, since I’m at it, the dates on the others are as follows:

Matched pair of smoked glass RCA JAN-CRC 6SL7GTs, are actually 1940s vintage, as opposed to the 50s vintage stated, which I prefer, as the older valves tend to be best, and are dated accordingly as being from May 1948 and May 1943. The Sylvania JAN-CHS 6SL7WGT is from Jan 1954.

Marco
06-03-2015, 00:46
Ok, I’ve been having a good play with the valves and trying them in different positions in the Croft. I can say that all the valves received are of extremely good quality, and all sound great, but that some were better than others, depending on where they were used.

Therefore, just to clarify a few things… In my modified Croft Charisma-X, there are a total of five 6SL7 tubes, the first two control the line stage, the last two the phono stage, and the one in the middle does a bit of both. However, all of the valves, as they’re used in the same circuit, impart their sonic signature, to some degree, on all aspects of the preamp.

Before I received this recent batch of valves, I had 2x 1950s 6H9C Russian Meltz (with anode holes and metal bases) in the line stage, a GE Red Base 5691 in the middle, and 2x RCA VT-229s in the phono stage. However, neither the 5691 or the VT-229s were balanced, that is to say the two sections of each valve having the same measured output, which makes quite a difference to the sonic results obtained.

Anyway, the first thing I tried was replacing the 5691, in the middle position, with the Sylvania VT-229, and that instantly brought more presence to vocals and filigree detailing to both those and instruments. Therefore, that stayed in and the 5691 was suitably ousted. No need to dwell on that one for too long, as the improvement was obvious. Next, I removed both Russian valves from the line stage section and replaced them with the matched and balanced pair of smoked glass RCA JAN-CRC 6SL7GTs.

That was interesting, as it wasn’t an all-round improvement. There were aspects of the RCAs I liked (that sense of ‘correctness’ you get with balanced valves and a rather ‘tidy’ presentation, with no emphasis on any part of the frequency response), and things I didn’t like (a slight reduction in ‘air and space’ and a tendency to sound a little bland). Therefore, I put the Russians back in, and instantly order was restored. The ‘sparkle’ was back...

Therefore, that essentially told me two things: 1) How good the Russian 6H9Cs were, and that they weren’t going to be ousted so easily, and 2) that the RCAs weren’t best suited to being used in that position, so the next thing to do was try them in the phono stage, instead of the VT-229s… WOW - now we’re talking!! :eek: What a superb sound, totally trouncing the RCA VT-229s, which could’ve been a little ‘tired’, because I play lots of vinyl, and they had been heavily used.

With the RCA JAN-CRC 6SL7GTs now in the phono stage position, the sound was clearer, deeper, wider, more detailed and ‘out of the box’, bass was tighter and more tuneful, and vocals gained more expressiveness and a lovely open-sounding ‘lifelike’ quality that was rather beguiling: in short, a no-brainer upgrade. Vinyl replay has never sounded so good, and my vintage SPU positively adores these tubes!

So with the line and phono stage sorted, my attention turned again to the middle position valve, feeding both the line and phono stage. The Sylvania VT-229 was already doing a good job there, but how would it compare with the brown-base JAN-CHS 6SL7WGT? Only one way to find out….

I whipped the former out and popped in the latter, which subsequently, and rather delightfully, produced another ‘WOW moment’. Now the soundstage had significantly opened up and widened, together with vocals becoming clearer and easier to follow. It was obviously either gelling really well with the other valves, or it was simply just a better valve, all round. I suspect a bit of both. Therefore, the 1940s Sylvania VT-229, still very good in its own right, will now act as a spare.

Ok, well that’s the new 6SL7 tube 'line-up' inside the Croft, which is now sounding superb, better than ever, and with a nice valve upgrade for about £110, including delivery. It’s the sort of sonic improvement one would normally only get from a major component/box upgrade, so that’s excellent SPPV.

One new thing I’ve learned is how important it is to try and find, not only matched pairs of valves, but BALANCED ones too, as the difference that makes is significant. The sound is just so much more ‘together’ and coherent that way. Therefore, if you use valves, go out of your way to find some with balanced sections - it’s well worth the effort!

The other thing, which experience has taught me already is when you’re ‘voicing’ a valve amplifier, with the use of a judicious selection of tubes, don’t use too many of the same make, as you end up with too much of the one type of sonic signature imbuing proceedings.

You need to mix it up a bit (rather like creating a recipe from the use of various ingredients and flavours), and blend the sonic signatures of different makes of valves, of the same type, into a sonically and musically cohesive whole, rather like when selecting which capacitors and resistors to use, as all have their own intrinsic ‘sound’ - ditto with valves. You have to get the balance of their various virtues right.

Anyway, my thanks once again go to the guys at the NOS Tube Store for their excellent service and quality of tubes, both of which I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend. It just shows how now and again it pays to freshen up the tubes inside a valve preamp, as the sonic rewards of doing so are significant. Now, I’m off to spin a few more tunes before bed - well happy! :cool:

Marco.

The Black Adder
06-03-2015, 06:28
:eek: WHooooHhoooo!... :eek:

So much fun isn't it... :) - NOS Tubestore is a great place and has superb service. Not only that but if you leave a comment you get an extra 10% off your next purchase. And the speed and thoughtfulness of the delivery and packaging is second to none.

Great write up, Marco. I must try me some different ones. :) - BTW, have you booked your crofty in for the dual regulator mod yet? - It's utterly bonkers! :eek:

I have to agree with the MELZ valves, they are utterly superb!

What I'm looking to do now is to try a black glass Tung-Sol N7 in the central position... It's like hunting for the Do-Do. Either that or a 5692.

Cool... :)

Marco
06-03-2015, 10:27
Hi Joe,

So much fun isn't it... :) - NOS Tubestore is a great place and has superb service. Not only that but if you leave a comment you get an extra 10% off your next purchase. And the speed and thoughtfulness of the delivery and packaging is second to none.

Absolutely, on all counts. I found out about the 10% discount in an email this morning. Koray, the chap I was dealing with, might also be joining the forum as a trade member, as I sent him a link to this thread, and he was very impressed with AoS.

Great write up, Marco. I must try me some different ones - BTW, have you booked your crofty in for the dual regulator mod yet? - It's utterly bonkers! :eek:

Churz, dude. I just wanted to ‘lay it all down’, whilst I still had it in my head, before going to my kip last night - just in case it’s useful info for anyone. Not done the Crofty yet. I’d want to listen to yours first before having that done. Perhaps we could arrange a sesh where we can compare preamps? That would be very useful, and I’m sure interesting for both of us :)

I have to agree with the MELZ valves, they are utterly superb!

Yup, one of the reasons for buying these new NOS 6SL7s was to see how well the Ruskis held up against the ‘named’ big boys… Well, they certainly didn’t disgrace themselves!

You often wonder, because the Ruskis are so cheap, compared with the well-known and ‘renowned’ makes, if you’re kidding yourself on about how good they are. Well, this experiment has certainly proved their worth. They’ve got to be one of the best 6SL7-types out there.

What I'm looking to do now is to try a black glass Tung-Sol N7 in the central position... It's like hunting for the Do-Do. Either that or a 5692.

You have a PM, Or at least you will do in a mo! ;)

Marco.

The Black Adder
06-03-2015, 10:55
Hi Marco.

Superb!

Koray is a quality person to deal with for sure.

Marco
06-03-2015, 11:44
Check your PM inbox, Joe! :)

Marco.