PDA

View Full Version : Album Club, March 2015: Blues Section - 'Blues Section'

Album Club
28-02-2015, 02:06
This month's Album Club choice comes courtesy of Mika (MikaK) with an interesting (and I would assume little-know) group from Finland - Blues Section with their eponymous album. Please listen to the complete album before you vote.

Blues Section – “Blues Section”

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51D%2BfuVUyWL._SX425_.jpg
Love Records LRS 1005(1967)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_Section

Blues Section is considered a seminal and ground-breaking group in Finnish rock music. They started in 1967 and formed around the vocalist Jim Pembroke, a British expatriate song-writer living in Finland. The other members of the band were Eero Koivistoinen (saxophone), Ronnie Österberg (drums), Hasse Walli (guitar), and Måns Groundstroem (bass). Their influences came among all from John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and Jimi Hendrix, who had played a sensational gig in Helsinki in May 1967. However you can hear also similarities e.g. with bands like The Beatles or The Doors.

Blues Section released a self-titled album late 1967 on Helsinki's legandary independent label Love Records. Their eponymous album was one of the very first Love Records releases and also one of the rarest items on the label with the catalog number LRS1005. Also Svart Records has reissued the album few years ago in HQ pressing and I hear second reissue is coming soon as the first one is already sold out.. http://svartrecords.com/shoppe/rock-...tion&results=1

Blues Section was perhaps the most influential band in Finland in the late sixties, and after the bands short lifespan the members continued in such acclaimed and better known finnish progressive rock bands as Wigwam and Tasavallan Presidentti. Eero Koivistoinen was to become an internationally acclaimed jazz musician still producing very good albums, and Hasse Walli would discover world music, playing in such bands as Piirpauke, and his son being the late lead character of the famous modern Finnish progressive group Kingston Wall.

Spotify:

spotify:album:6A2itPQK1aU8zHVnAt3spP

open.spotify.com/album/62QZygHUSerUUBPMLOIWYq
(UK users may encounter difficulties in accessing the above links.)

Grooveshark:

http://grooveshark.com/#!/profile/Blues+Section/22438687

YouTube links for two of their singles:

ZOdXm6rhtRM t0wXZ9isO_k

Tom-Brown
28-02-2015, 11:22
Sounds right for the era, but is it me or do they sound a little "Beatle-ish" - and in doing so, not my cup of tea. Some of the guitar riffs are great :)

Marco
02-03-2015, 21:51
Love it - just my kind of thing! Funky as a very funky thing… Trust Mika to come up with something this good :thumbsup:

Must try and get some of their stuff.

Marco.

The Barbarian
02-03-2015, 22:01
Jim Pembroke was not from Finland he was English i recommend his LP under the name of Hot Thumbs O'Riley ' Wicked Ivory' The backing band on this LP is ofc Wigwam. You might notice that the LP gives the impression it was recorded in a club venue if you get the chance to hear it...

Here's a version of ''Grass For Blades''

gL7AqYop2a4

& check out the ARP 'Odyssey'

Bazil
03-03-2015, 17:08
The Spotify link opens the album but I can't access the songs "not available to UK users" :(

Mika K
04-03-2015, 07:28
Damn, didn't see that one coming. Apologies.. :doh:

RichB
04-03-2015, 17:32
Tried all the links and I can't any to open the album.

Searches on Spotify also produce no results.

Anyone else had any joy with this... I'm actually quite keen to hear it.

RichB
04-03-2015, 17:33
Tried all the links and I can't get any to open the album.

Searches on Spotify also produce no results.

Anyone else had any joy with this... I'm actually quite keen to hear it.

struth
04-03-2015, 17:43
Nope

Marco
04-03-2015, 17:45
I just listened to the YouTube links! Is that too obvious? :eyebrows:

Marco.

RichB
04-03-2015, 19:55
I guess I could listen to the youtube links but when I settle in to listen to an album I like it in the order the artist intended and consistent quality. Album club recommendations deserve that.

Album Club
10-03-2015, 17:48
There seems to be a problem with Spotify regarding 'Blues Section' – the tracks are listed but the songs are "not available to UK users".

In lieu of this, eight out of the twelve tracks of the album are available on You Tube. Roughly in order of appearance, they are:

Answer to Life
MuqOwIiJ22w

Wolf At The Door
wNaR5NctmC0

End Of A Poem
ZOdXm6rhtRM

Please Mr Wilson and Apartment 51
RxjNC6EeNQU

One More For The Road
t0wXZ9isO_k&list=PLN9nEkH_dNQjRNKI4ontwUFlJSIAuqLAs&index=5

Call Me On Your Telephone
V-nwg2Uo9lc

Hey Hey Hey
8TZfBWPx7GA

I hope this now helps Members enjoy Mika's choice of ‘Blues Section’ a little better and so allow them to vote.

Audio Al
10-03-2015, 18:48
I did listen , could only find a few tracks :scratch:

Not something I would buy

5 from me

Bazil
10-03-2015, 21:51
Thanks Mr Album Club , I'll give the vids a go :)

Barry
13-03-2015, 23:49
I listened to all the YouTube clips. Blues Section, clearly were an interesting group in their day, but their sound has suffered with the passsage of time. I found it sounded rather dated.

There was one stand-out track: the bluesy 'One More For The Road'.

Based on what I heard, I'm going to rate it 6/10.

struth
14-03-2015, 20:45
I listened to 2 tracks and that was enough for me tbh. Call me on the telephone really grated, and sounded like a bad mix from the 60's recorded in a club. As Barry says, they may have sounded more original in their day. I would give it 5

Spectral Morn
15-03-2015, 10:00
Had a listen to the You Tube tracks and sorry this isn't for me. It's very derivative of quite a few bands of the time and overall quiet a weak album, with no strong identity of its own.

I know holding a favourite album up for others to scrutiny is fraught with risk when others just don't get it, sorry I just don't see the merit here.

1 out of 10

Regards Neil