PDA

View Full Version : My First R2R

REM
26-08-2009, 12:51
Well well, have a look what I got from eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170373365185&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT).
Lovely thing in fantastic condition, not a mark on it and listening to it playing back a tape of Breakfast in America nothing much wrong mechanically/electrically either.

Thing is the guy included some tapes, some 7" (2 on Agfa metal spools) including the Supertramp, some 5" used (no idea what's on them, be fun finding out) and 13 brand new sealed Basf 5", 3LP, 3TP, & 7DP. As my intention is just to build up a library of commercial pre-recorded tapes I wondered if anyone here had any use for them. Not looking to sell as such, they're yours for the cost of postage plus a fiver would be nice to get the missus a jalfrezze, she really is taking this very well (actually she is impressed with the thing, could be the start of a collection, you never know, fingers crossed:lol:).

Cheers

Beechwoods
26-08-2009, 13:07
Well done Ralph, and count me in for those 'surplus tapes' if you haven't already had a taker!

I really hope you enjoy listening to your new machine. It looks a lot like my Sony TC-377 which plays back pre-recs really nicely (and records well too - though interestingly my RT-707 extracts better playback from recordings on my TC-377 than the 377 manages!).

Collecting factory made reels is great fun, eventhough the shipping from the States can make then a bit pricey. I can see I'll have a bit of competition on the old auction site now :)

REM
26-08-2009, 15:22
Mr Beechwoods, sir, they are all yours, you will be in receipt of a PM very shortly:)

Spectral Morn
26-08-2009, 16:47
Nice looking machine....REM

Damn missed those............;) Oh well. Akais are nice machines and the glass heads mean that the most expensive bit that can go wrong will (unless they have been physically damaged will be okay). I picked up an Akai GX365 a number of months ago and its very nice (thanks Dave). It has a built in amplifier and 2 speakers, headphone outputs as well as audio ins and outs. In away its a Reel to Reel all in one a micro of its day. But very high end in its original cost.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/0221-1.jpg

As to getting more R to R yes you are doomed. All those nice "Collection Only" machines are yours. Where I am, its if it does not have original packaging a non starter, as it would end up smashed.

Enjoy

Regards D S D L

DSJR
26-08-2009, 16:58
A quick note from a boring old fart...

I don't know this particular Akai, but the perennial 4000DS model had tons of hiss from the electronics. The Dolby version (4000DB) being around as quiet as the TC377.

In the day, machines such as this were regarded as Denon/Yamaha-style cassette decks were a few years later. Serious recordings were done on Revox, Ferrograph and top end Sony's etc, the Technics 1500 being a bling model, albeit a very very good one ;)

I hope you start collecting these decks now they're cheap enough to punt on. It's an easy addiction to acquire I can guarantee :)

REM
27-08-2009, 16:26
From Neil

As to getting more R to R yes you are doomed. All those nice "Collection Only" machines are yours. Where I am, its if it does not have original packaging a non starter, as it would end up smashed.

Know what you mean this was only 45mins drive so no problem with collection, it's also nice, I think, to actually meet the seller you get a good feel for how the machine has been treated. This guy has a photo of his T/T on his iPhone so definitely the right sort of bloke, I would think.

From DSJR

I don't know this particular Akai, but the perennial 4000DS model had tons of hiss from the electronics. The Dolby version (4000DB) being around as quiet as the TC377.

This seems pretty quiet, with a blank tape running through it you get to about 3 o'clock on the loud knob before the hum kicks in which aint bad for an old 70s relic and makes it a bloody sight quieter than my phono stage!

It runs warm and has that fabulous vintage electronica smell you don't seem to get from modern gear, this could well be the start of something:smoking::smoking:

DSJR
27-08-2009, 16:34
I can guarantee it :gig:

You know, I'm Revox'd out. i'd like to try a Ferrograph Logic 7. Liked those and they made decent recordings too.......

REM
27-08-2009, 16:52
Aw gawd don't get me started on Revoxes....slope.....slippery...:lolsign:

Spectral Morn
27-08-2009, 18:11
Aw gawd don't get me started on Revoxes....slope.....slippery...:lolsign:

Tell me about it................:doh::)

Pity I missed out on some of those tapes....:(

Regards D S D L

REM
27-08-2009, 18:31
Hi Neil

Love that Reverse-O-Matic knob, way kwell:smoking:

Still waiting to here back from Nick re the tapes, maybe we could split them:confused:

Cheers

Spectral Morn
27-08-2009, 18:53
Hi Neil

Love that Reverse-O-Matic knob, way kwell:smoking:

Still waiting to here back from Nick re the tapes, maybe we could split them:confused:

Cheers

Hi Ralph

That would be good/nice/kind, but as Nick spotted them first, its up to him if he wants too or not.

The reverse-o-matic is basicaly an auto revers feature so the heads can be programmed to switch or continue switching if you want continuous playback. This R to R is a bit noisy with a fan in the back, but considering it has built in amplification as well I am not surprised it has a fan. I love the look and the build quality with the real wood veneer is very sexy..it has a matching wood lid as well and considering its age is in really good condition. One owner from new a telecommunications engineer he bought it new in the Seyschelles...built his own wired remote as well.

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
27-08-2009, 18:54
Memory like a fish me... like anyone needs to know my address anyway :lol:

Neil - if you're interested in any of these let me know and we could sort something out :)

Are you interested in the new or the used ones? 13 sealed 5"ers is a good number so if you want to split them half and half that's cool. I'd like to try at least one of each type, mind :)

As for the used ones if you want to check them out too Neil, I guess it'd be pot-luck who'd get what - unless you've got one with 'Pink Floyd Special' on it in which case it'd definitely have to be mine :lolsign:

Spectral Morn
27-08-2009, 19:41
Memory like a fish me... like anyone needs to know my address anyway :lol:

Neil - if you're interested in any of these let me know and we could sort something out :)

Are you interested in the new or the used ones? 13 sealed 5"ers is a good number so if you want to split them half and half that's cool. I'd like to try at least one of each type, mind :)

As for the used ones if you want to check them out too Neil, I guess it'd be pot-luck who'd get what - unless you've got one with 'Pink Floyd Special' on it in which case it'd definitely have to be mine :lolsign:

If we split the new and the recorded thats the fair way I think. So 1 of the Basf metal 7 inch + half of the recorded ones and half of the new ones and yes if I get a Floyd one i'll send it back to you. I quite like Supertramp, but if they're a guilty pleasure Nick you can have it. Thanks for being so generous.

Thanks to Ralph too..so what address do I send the £2.50 to +postage costs.

Regards D S D L

REM
28-08-2009, 11:37
Oops, I didn't mean to lead anyone astray but it's just the 13 sealed 5" tapes that I need to get rid of, I'm keeping the 7" stuff, sorry guys.
That would mean, say, seven tapes of assorted varieties for Nick and six for Niel, does that seem ok?
These need to go, not to keep 'her indoors' happy as such but we are attempting to have a general de-clutter and me filling the place up with more stuff is a bit of a no-no, ATM. She likes the deck I'm just not pushing my luck as we've got a fantastic/silly (depending on your point of view) pair of speakers due soon. Trying to persuade a woman that she doesn't need 200+ pairs of shoes and then filling up the living room with lps cds and now tapes, well you know how it goes:lol:

Cheers

Beechwoods
28-08-2009, 12:06
Sounds fantastic to me Ralph, and thanks again!

Spectral Morn
28-08-2009, 13:45
Pm got Ralph.

Thank you again.

Regards D S D L