PDA

View Full Version : Last Record Preservative

REM
24-08-2009, 13:48
Has anyone actually used this stuff/is it any good or is it more foo goo?

Just wondering as someone is flogging a load of it off on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAST-USA-PROFESSIONAL-ARCHIVAL-RECORD-PRESERVATIVE_W0QQitemZ220470381510QQcmdZViewItemQQ ptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables? hash=item33550f0bc6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14). Worth a punt or avoid like the plague, watcha think guys?

Cheers

hifi_dave
24-08-2009, 15:34
Tried it back in the day and couldn't really hear any difference. Then there was such a lot of hoo-ha about damage, noise and stickiness that I binned it. I would rather just keep my vinyl clean.

jfine
24-08-2009, 15:45
I use it, but I also use it in conjunction with Last #5, stylus treatment. Together, the wear on your stylus and records is, as they say, reduced.

Good read here: (karma16)

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=219544

I will say that the stuff is very volatile (evaporative), and of course like many products along these lines, gets a snake oil reputation. You have to make your own decisions on this one.

As far as the ebay auction, it looks and sounds like that is possibly an old stock. Something to think about.

The Grand Wazoo
24-08-2009, 16:16
Together, the wear on your stylus and records is, as they say, reduced.

How do you know that this is the case?

I'm genuinely interested in anything that extends the life of either my vinyl or my expensive cartridge, but I'd like to see the proof that it works before I risk either of those or some of my hard-earned. I'd be sceptical of the evidence of those who're trying to sell it to me, or a journalist, for that matter.

I don't know how the above is supposed to work but I've never found anything better than a good whizz on an RCM to clean vinyl & lessen the risk of damage & gunk build-up to a stylus - I've never been able to comprehend how the hardest material known to man can be worn out by a piece of plastic (I know the point pressure & temperature created must be high & I know you can wear anything out over time but.......???) In fact, truth be known, I've never worn a stylus out. - They've become damaged, other parts of the cartridge have given up the ghost, & in my early days I let the crap bake on them so as to become uncleanable - often making them look like they're blunt.

So (& I don't mean to be critical) do you:
1. actually know that the life of your stylus & vinyl is being extended because of some test you have done, or.....

2. .....do you hear an improvement in the sound brought about by the cleaner equipment & software, remember the spin you were spun about the benefits & so believe it?

I'd be interested to learn.......

Cheers

jfine
24-08-2009, 17:27
How do you know that this is the case?

So (& I don't mean to be critical) do you:
1. actually know that the life of your stylus & vinyl is being extended because of some test you have done, or.....

2. .....do you hear an improvement in the sound brought about by the cleaner equipment & software, remember the spin you were spun about the benefits & so believe it?

I'd be interested to learn.......

Cheers

That's why I posted the link, and there are more reads over at audiokarma about this. It's waaaaay too much to type.

I have heard subtle improvements on some records, but that is not why I use it. It's not going to fix damage, and it is not a cleaner.

I personally have no proof.

But I will say that every record I've treated seems to sound the same as when I first played it, although I also clean and keep the vinyl and stylus clean. Since I pay a lot for some of my vinyl and I have paid a lot for stylusus (is that correct plural? :confused:), I want to try and make them last. I certainly don't ever want to push a product just cause I use it. This is only IME. :) Also Email Walt Davies at Last Factory.

EDIT: I should say that instead of "Together, the wear on your stylus and records is, as they say, reduced." it should read "Together, the wear on your stylus and records may, as they say, be reduced." Sorry for my overstated opinion.