PDA

View Full Version : New toy... Uber Lenco

Jason P
22-02-2015, 12:00
Well it is to me!

The Technics has gone and I was looking to replace with a Rega RP6. Then a modded Lenco turned up on the 'Wam and it was local... So I headed off for a listen. The owner had built it from scratch with help from Lenco Heaven, and done quite a nice job of it... But I still wasn't sure. What swung it for me was a visit to a local dealer stocking Rega... Nice, but the engineering just wasn't a patch on the Lenco. I could see both working in 20 years time but the Rega would be like Trigger's broom by then!

So now my rack houses this behemoth, all 25kgs with an Audiomods arm, Jolyon bearing and stacked platter. I love that it had the same sense of propulsion that the Technics had but has restored some of the 'magic' that I felt was missing from it. Just don't ask me to move it!

Macca
22-02-2015, 12:24
That is one serious plinth.

Gordon Steadman
22-02-2015, 12:42
Exactly what I have been looking at doing. Well, probably not 'exactly' as I have visions of a more rounded plinth but the stacked platter Lenco is definitely on my list. Since I've had the Dual, I am converted back to idler drives.

As you say, they have the oomph of the direct drives but with that something extra.

Much better choice than a modern belt drive I reckon. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

walpurgis
22-02-2015, 13:05
Never understood the 'stacked platter' thing on Lencos. The standard platter is massy enough.

The Barbarian
22-02-2015, 13:12
Never understood the 'stacked platter' thing on Lencos. The standard platter is massy enough.

All i see is stacking creates a taller platter...

Gordon Steadman
22-02-2015, 13:18

Them as what has done it, report that it improves the performance. My Dual has a 7.5lb platter, who knows if more weight would help unless you try??

walpurgis
22-02-2015, 13:22
Them as what has done it, report that it improves the performance.

I can't see anybody having done it admitting that it was a waste of time.

The Barbarian
22-02-2015, 13:22
+1

Jason P
22-02-2015, 13:32
I think the idea is twofold... More mass equals better speed stability, and some degree of isolation from any potential idler noise as the drive is to the lower platter. I've no idea if this is better or worse than one, all is know is it sounds bloody good!!!

awkwardbydesign
22-02-2015, 14:05

Especially if it wasn't!

surayne
26-02-2015, 22:47

I tried stacked platters on my Lenco for a while, and found it a complete waste of time...

The Barbarian
26-02-2015, 23:02
Shhhhhhhhhhh you can't say things like that :lol:

walpurgis
26-02-2015, 23:06
I tried stacked platters on my Lenco for a while, and found it a complete waste of time...

You deserve a medal for saying that!! :clap: