PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow above the Rooftops.

Spectral Morn
23-08-2009, 20:12
HI Guys

First attempt at photographing a rainbow. I was having a very bad day...miserable and along came this to cheer me up.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/chordcoralphonosatage007.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/chordcoralphonosatage005.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/chordcoralphonosatage006.jpg

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
23-08-2009, 20:14
Very good Neil, glad it cheered you up.

Spectral Morn
23-08-2009, 20:20
Very good Neil, glad it cheered you up.

Hi Alex

Well this is special my 2000 post and its as reply to you. Thank you for the comment...I know its not the most spectacular rainbow, but Rainbows any rainbow is very special for me...I love them.

Your new avatar puts a smile on my face and I am glad you are fitting in so well and enjoying yourself on AOS.

Regards D S D L

Mike
23-08-2009, 20:25
I once drove through one! :)

Well, not really... that's impossible. But there was a fantastic rainbow in the sky and I drove through what 'appeared' to be the end of it. It was a very, very weird lighting effect where it 'seemed' like I'd driven through the end of a rainbow... Didn't clobber a pot of gold though. :(

Spectral Morn
23-08-2009, 20:33

Well, not really... that's impossible. But there was a fantastic rainbow in the sky and I drove through what 'appeared' to be the end of it. It was a very, very weird lighting effect where it 'seemed' like I'd driven through the end of a rainbow... Didn't clobber a pot of gold though. :(

Yes me too, but it was three in a row and there was this effect on the road at the side of the car of lots of mini rainbows WOW. I was going through a bad spell and this really cheered me up. Rare I would imagine to experience this sort of thing.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
23-08-2009, 20:35
Thanks Neil - I agree, rainbows are very special, and a very real reminder that we don't really understand everything that goes on in the universe - there's a lot of magic out there! I had to share that pic of my little girl - it makes me smile so glad it has the same effect on others! Happy 2000, btw!

Spectral Morn
23-08-2009, 21:07
Thank you Alex:)

Regards D S D L

DaveK
23-08-2009, 21:16
Hi Alex
Your new avatar puts a smile on my face and I am glad you are fitting in so well and enjoying yourself on AOS.
Regards D S D L

Hi Alex,
I'm with Neil wholeheartedly on this comment, but particularly the first bit. You know what they say about ugly bulls .... no, can't go there again, sorry :lolsign: .
Cheers,
PS
Nice pics by the way - I like rainbows.

Alex_UK
23-08-2009, 22:20
Thanks Dave, I think??!! ;)

Spectral Morn
23-08-2009, 22:25
Hi Alex,
I'm with Neil wholeheartedly on this comment, but particularly the first bit. You know what they say about ugly bulls .... no, can't go there again, sorry :lolsign: .
Cheers,
PS
Nice pics by the way - I like rainbows.

What ?:confused::scratch:

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
23-08-2009, 22:32
Neil - hopefully DaveC won't mind me referring to a PM which is what he is referring to - namely the expression "Ugly bull, pretty calf" - cheeky b*gger is what I think I said! :lol:

Spectral Morn
23-08-2009, 22:35
Neil - hopefully DaveC won't mind me referring to a PM which is what he is referring to - namely the expression "Ugly bull, pretty calf" - cheeky b*gger is what I think I said! :lol:

Just bit :confused:thats all...thanks for the explanation.

Regards D S D L

aquapiranha
23-08-2009, 22:47
Remember Neil, every cloud has a silver lining.

Nice pics.

Steve

Barry
24-08-2009, 02:05

Why not? If you drive through and out of the rain, always keeping the sun behind you, then you will have driven through (underneath) the rainbow. Have you ever seen a rainbow from above, that is, out of a plane window? It's a complete and perfect circle!

Congratulations Neil on your 2000th post. What will Marco do when he reaches his 10,000th? How does he do it? I calculate it's an average of 13 posts a day!

Regards

Spectral Morn
24-08-2009, 06:24
A perfect circle....thats very interesting Barry.

Regards D S D L

Barry
24-08-2009, 07:45
A perfect circle....thats very interesting Barry.

Regards D S D L

Hi Neil,

I should have expressed my sympathy over you having had a rotten day and said that like you, seeing a rainbow always cheers me up. All the while we have a little bit of child-like wonder left in us, we won't go too far wrong!

Yes, a rainbow seen from the air is a perfect circle. It is also the reason why I was not being serious when I said one could drive underneath one. To do so, at some point the rainbow would have to be directly overhead, that is, subtend an angle of 90 degree to the horizontal. This is impossible: rainbows always subtend an angle of 42 degrees to the horizontal; that is why they appear as a circular arc from the ground and a complete circle if up in the air.

What of course happens as you drive through a rain storm is that as you start to leave it, the density of rain drops that create the rainbow decreases. The rainbow thus decreases in intensity until it disappears as you leave the rain behind. And to think that Keats dammed Newton for explaining the rainbow. I find the optical physics of the rainbow just as wonderful as the ancients found the idea that it was the pathway used by Irides, the messenger from the gods.

By the way there are supposed to be seven colours or bands to the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet and indigo. Scientist doubt the existence of indigo, after all if it is a colour beyond violet, it is ultra-violet which cannot really be detected by the human eye. Rather, indigo seems to have been added so as to make up the number of colours to seven, to fit in with the Christian influence on our culture: seven days in the week, seven ages of Man etc.

Hope you have a better day today.

Regards

Spectral Morn
24-08-2009, 09:37
Thank you Barry...I hope so, but so far perhaps not. I had to go to the dole office, they rang on Friday afternoon requesting my presence today and I was expecting a delievery. I went to the dole office early got away in 15 mins, not to bad, and guess what ? DHL had been and gone. Now my item has to spend the day in a van (God help it) and I have to drive to the depot for 5 o'clock to get it which means a horrendous drive through rush hour traffic...no doubt to find it smashed to pulp.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
22-09-2009, 17:45
Another rainbow. This photo taken just a few minutes ago.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/Rainbowovertherooftop2004.jpg

Regards D S D L