PDA

View Full Version : Ortofon DS-1 digital stylus pressure gauge?

JazzBones
20-02-2015, 10:59
Anyone use this particular gauge? Carrying the Ortofon badge I would imagine that it is well made and an accurate precision instrument hence my interest? It seems to retail at a constant price of c£110.00p from the likes of Henley Designs and others who sell this product. Okay, I know this is alot to pay but my present digital stylus gauge seems to be wildly erratic nowadays and I've lost confidence in its abilities to give an accurate reading. At the other end of Ortofon's range is the plastic mechanical one, views on this one as well please?

Many thanks,
Ron.

PS I'm still here and alive :D

struth
20-02-2015, 11:16
just bought one of these after years of using my shure balance gauge. seems accurate and resettable. comes with a 5 gm weight to test with. it proved my shure was close but not right. for the money its worth the buying and if it packs up you can buy another 10 b4 you get to the ortofons price

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Cartridge-Stylus-Tracking-Force-Scale-Gauge-0-01g-including-BATTERIES-UK-/301224702195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item46226430f3

Stratmangler
20-02-2015, 11:18
I was going to suggest the same, Grant.

JazzBones
20-02-2015, 12:08
just bought one of these after years of using my shure balance gauge. seems accurate and resettable. comes with a 5 gm weight to test with. it proved my shure was close but not right. for the money its worth the buying and if it packs up you can buy another 10 b4 you get to the ortofons price

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Cartridge-Stylus-Tracking-Force-Scale-Gauge-0-01g-including-BATTERIES-UK-/301224702195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item46226430f3

Thanks Grant and Chris. The one on ebay is very much like the one I'm using (or not using at the mo), forget who I got it from. Are you both using MC pickup carts as I believe these can be problematic with some gauges? Will shop around to see if I can get it cheaper (the Ortofon)

NRG
20-02-2015, 12:11
I bought that ebay one after the reports here and it works a treat. It was also good to confirm that my trusty old Shure balance gauge was just about spot on! Could have saved myself a tenner! :D

struth
20-02-2015, 12:14
Thanks Grant and Chris. The one on ebay is very much like the one I'm using (or not using at the mo), forget who I got it from. Are you both using MC pickup carts as I believe these can be problematic with some gauges? Will shop around to see if I can get it cheaper (the Ortofon)

mine is an mc.

Barry
20-02-2015, 14:02
No need to pay £100 for a 'badged' Ortofon product. Jeweller's digital scales, or the ones discussed by Grant are perfectly sufficient in resolution and accuracy to use as stylus scales.

Make sure the weighing platform is non-magnetic (i.e. stainless steel) and you will be OK. :)

struth
20-02-2015, 14:10
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151511079890?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

this is the acyual one i got(seller) it is the. mproved non magnetic version. build quality is nothing special tbh but it does what it says and how often do you use it...10 quid is enough for me but can understand if you just want the best and can afford it it is nice to have a nice bit of kit.

JazzBones
20-02-2015, 14:57
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151511079890?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

this is the acyual one i got(seller) it is the. mproved non magnetic version. build quality is nothing special tbh but it does what it says and how often do you use it...10 quid is enough for me but can understand if you just want the best and can afford it it is nice to have a nice bit of kit.

Mine looks like yours does except back light is green. The box refers to it as 'Phonograph Arm Load Meter professional digital meter' made in China, also shows a picture on the packaging box of a Graham Phantom arm + cartridge being balanced out on it. I lust after the Graham Phantom Mk2 Supreme arm.. dream on. Put three different magnets of varying weights on the cartridge body tray to see if this was magnetic and it was not, the magnets just slid off... did this with the meter switched off by the way. On reflection it could be the battery is getting on a bit and needs renewing, which I will do first. Did not want to pay £100. for a gauge if I could help it, just drawn by the Ortofon name I guess... will put the money in a savings box towards an upgrade of cartridge, currently using an AT33EV. Thanks for the helpful advice. As an aside The Cartridge Man digital scales cost a cool £275.00p, who buys 'em and just how good is it?

Stratmangler
20-02-2015, 15:12

Mine is MC too, one of these scary devices ...

http://media.tas.zeitpress.com/articles/images/Sumiko%20Blue%20Point%20Special%20EVO%20III.jpg

RichB
20-02-2015, 17:51
Also got the ebay one here myself, did the job well enough with my at440mla.

amigarobbo
28-02-2015, 17:11

Thanks for that recommendation, Just ordered one.

Marco
28-02-2015, 18:48
Hi Ron,

Good to see you checking in and that you’re still moving! :)

I had a DS-1 (it came free with my Ortofon RS-212D tonearm, which was a nice touch), and found it very good and nicely made, but ultimately no more accurate than the Chinese ones recommended here.

If you want something that is super-accurate (more so than the Chinese varieties on ebay) and reasonably sanely priced, I’d recommend the Clearaudio Weight-Watcher: http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/vinyl-essentials/788-clearaudio-weight-watcher-stylus-force-gauge.html

German precision at its best!

Brooksy would probably give you a small AoS discount. It’s definitely more accurate than the Ortofon or any of the mass-produced stuff on ebay, *but* at a price.

Marco.