PDA

View Full Version : Wanted – Reel to Reel. Very Very Tentative Thoughts On Buying One Of These

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
23-08-2009, 17:39
Hi Guys

Been giving this some thought for a while now.

Marco's thread on Reel to Reel tapes now available new etc has brought this back to mind. There is also a good supply of used tapes too.

So - Has anyone got or knows of a good source of these machines.

Looking for a 2 track machine, this would be my first choice.
It should be fuly working order. Cosmetically very good to excellent.
I am not stuck on a perticular make, but would be unsure of obscure models etc

I don't wish to go through the process of servicing the machine from the outset, really just want to P&P

Look forward to your thoughs and suggestion on this. Have seen the ones on Fleebay but would be happier to buy from the forum recommendations rather than blind from someone I don't know or is not recommended.

Long winded post but lets see what happens

Andy - SDDW

Beechwoods
23-08-2009, 17:58
Well welcome to the club Andy!

A quarter-inch 2 track (properly known as half-track) would set you up to make excellent recordings, and of course, take advantage of things like the Tape Project, subject to your machine having the optimum EQ to playback those tapes. It would though preclude the majority of 'official release' reels which were quarter track (aka 4-track) ¼" tape. Ensure you have thought this through as there are only a few machines that had 'swappable' heads to handle half- and quarter-track via the same transport.

Also have a think about whether you want a fullsize machine capable of handling 10" reels, or if 7" reels are OK. The following link is useful in describing what playing time you'll get from each - if you're recording quarter-track rather than half-track you can double these because you can record on both sides of the tape : http://www.soundabout.net/reeltimes.htm

The reason I ask is because the Nagra portables only handle a maximum of 7" spools so they'd be discounted from your consideration if you wanted longer running times.

Also, which recording / playback speeds would you be satisfied with? If 15 ips (inches per second) is required for maximum fidelity, you will discount a number of very good consumer / high-end hi-fi players because these only allow up to 7½ ips.

I know it's a lot to think about, but it's worth thinking about these basics before investing. Once you know what you're after, finding the right supplier is another thing!

Spectral Morn
23-08-2009, 18:06
I may be able to offer something in the not to distant future PM me if you want to talk and I give you some more details.

The problem with the R to R game is that you really need two machines. A half track high speed if you want to make high quality recordings but a 3600ft of tape at 15ips will only last about 48 mins. If the machine is quarter track it will last 48min x 2 as you have side 1 and side 2. On a half track, its like a video tape one side only.

The only machines that will do all of this, and to Tape project standards is the Technics 1500. These sell on average for between £700 to £1200 and maybe a bit more.The B77 can be got as a quarter track, but is normally found in half track high speed i.e 7.5/15 ips speeds. I have solved the problem with two Revox machines B77 and A77 and for a lot less money (it needed to be, as cash is very tight).

Your right to be cautious about E-Bay very few sellers have a clue what they have whether it works etc...I have learn't all about this over the last 3 months.

New tape on average, only 2500 ft, will cost you £30 for Zonal or £40 for RGI (think that right)

I don't want to say much more here as it will reveal way to much from my forthcoming SOG write up.

Regards D S D L

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
23-08-2009, 18:20
Hi Nick

I had forgotten about 1/2 and 1/4 track.

I think initially I would need to go for the 1/4 track machine. I would prefer a full size machine. As I would like to try some of the pre-recorded tapes available 2nd hand. Though I know the pitfalls with them.

The 1/2 track would be best I think if I were to solely record my own tapes, but this is not my first thought. So 1/4 track it is.

Neil - If you have any further thoughts on selling your machine, drop me a line and we can see what happens from there.

Cheers Guys

Andy - SDDW